“Third visit and still happy”

and 1 more site!
Sama's Cottages and Villas
Ranked #4 of 616 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is my first visit on my own, after two earlier visits with friends or family. I stayed a week and found it very relaxing. Cath and Wayan are great hosts and it really does have a family feel. I always stay in the Superior Fan cooled cottages and don't miss AC, but I live in the tropics and don't feel the heat anyway, so anyone more sensitive may choose one of the AC cottages. It's a very safe and comfortable place to stay as a single woman. Staff are very friendly. Rooms are very clean, wifi works well, at least by comparison to Dili, where I live, though almost any connection is better than that. Jalan Bisma is still quiet but walking distance to the centre, though each time I come more buildings are springing up. The new coffee shop next door is wonderful, with a most impressive red Segafreddo machine, and even better, the barista knows how to work it and the coffee is excellent. I always go straight to Ubud from the airport and get Samas to organise my pickup, 250,000 Rp for peace of mind! Breakfast is delivered to the balcony and I always enjoy it. The cottages have a fridge, no TV but who needs that on holiday. Already looking forward to a fourth visit...........

Room Tip: If you really feel the heat choose AC otherwise the Superior fan cooled bungalows are my favourite.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
samascottages, Owner at Sama's Cottages and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Willsmother, we love having you stay with us, you are indeed becoming part of the Sama's extended family! Thankyou for continuing to stay with us, and for writing another heartfelt and positive review. It is important to us here at Sama's that we continue to grow and improve, and by you staying with us 3 times it shows us our hard work is paying off. You are a very special guest and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon and catching up over a drink on your veranda!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Thank you to Wayan and Kath and their family for a wonderful stay at Sama's cottages... I booked online via google maps to find my hotel with perfect location and it was indeed exceeded my expectations. I wanted a locally owned and operated and traditional feel cottage.... and it was perfect. the gardens were beautiful and lush, the cottage spotless and cool, and the pool refreshing and quiet.... the staff were gracious, friendly and helpful, and location perfect... just a very short walk to town, and right on the same street some of Ubuds best restaurants and café. even had best coffee in Ubud delivered to me whilst I was by the pool.

It turned out that magically that this was the exact same cottage I stayed in over 20 years ago when I was Ubud last, although the charm of the town hasn't changed the gardens and surrounds have enveloped it where once there was paddy fields... I was so glad to see Mr Sama himself, still tendering to the gardens as he did when we first met him and he told us about his ambition of building more cottages on the site.... it was magical to see his dream in reality and hard to believe it maintains the charm and excellent service that he started his family business on.

I cant wait to return and recharge in the little secret paradise. Thank you.

Room Tip: I loved the air con.... but often it wasn't needed. a fan room would have been just fine. my roo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Suzi, you have captured exactly what we are trying to create here at Sama's, what a beautiful review. Thankyou. Yes, we are a family run business, always have been and always will be. I could not have written a better review myself! We are so thankful for you taking the time to write your review and we are looking forward to reconnecting next time you are here. I too am thrilled that you 'found' Sama's again after a stay so long ago.

Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Loved my stay here , location is fantastic just out of the main hub. But close enough to walk to everything . The cottages are set well off the road in a wonderful garden/jungle ,so each cottage is quite secluded . Nice pool. And great staff. My only complaint was the Internet did not work for the my whole stay. But other than that inconvenience it is a great place to stay

• Stayed: February 2013

JillyAllen, thankyou so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review, it was a pleasure having you stay with us. I sincerely apologise for the WiFi not working during your stay, it was unfortunately out of our control as there was a problem with our provider and many other places in Ubud were without internet too for those 3-4 days. I am so sorry it was the days you were staying with us. Wishing you all the best and thankyou once again.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed here in January with my partner and as a late addition our 18yo son - even though the 3 of us were in a smallish room, it didn't seem to matter, having the lovely outdoor area to sit in was really like having an extra room. We opted for fan cooled and found it to be fine, didn't miss the aircon at all.

The service at Samas is fantastic, a lovely group of boys keep the place spotless and are always there with a smile and a chat to help with whatever you need. The pool is gorgeous, the gardens lush and the location is excellent.

The new cafe on JL Bisma is also excellent!

By the way other reviewers, if you don't like roosters you probably shouldn't go to Bali, wherever you are there you are bound to hear them!

Room Tip: No need for air con - fan cooled and open windows will be fine
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank km1Sydney
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Sama's cottages for 3 weeks, some of our stay at their villa next door, Teras Sungai and had a fabulous stay. We really enjoyed the personal atmosphere, great service and helpfulness of all the staff at both places. The owners make sure everything is going ok, daily! We felt like we were part of the family, thoroughly enjoyed our rooms, breakfasts were great and the pools were wonderful. Nothing was too much trouble for owners Kath and Wayan and we were thrilled to be invited to attend the ceremony to open their new cafe, Kopi on Bisma which serves a great coffee and has a very good menu. I would stay there anytime and would recommend it highly to solo, family and couples travelling.

Room Tip: We liked the aircon rooms at the cottages and the fan rooms were fine at Teras Sungai even in the he...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Andrea, we all want to thankyou, firstly, for staying with us for 3 weeks out of your 4 week Bali holiday. It was an absolute pleasure to have you both stay with us, and to help our new staff at Kopi on Bisma learn how to make a great coffee by trying what they had made and giving constructive criticism. We hope you will be back one day to enjoy another great cup at Kopi and another stay with us at Sama's. It was so wonderful learning about your lives to in the Northern Territory too, it was special to make such a connection with guests.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights.

The location is great, it's about 5 min walk to the main street of Ubud and perhaps 10min to the top of Monkey Forest Rd. Plenty to eat and drink on the same street including Rouge (bar) and Cafe des Artistes (restaurant) and some excellent options in and around Ubud.

There is an excellent Spa about 5min further down the road which has a large menu of treatments.

The cottages are nice and spacious (we booked a superior) one and breakfast is cooked to order and delivered to your balcony. The breakfast included juice, tea/coffee and eggs to order.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the areas is quiet and felt very safe.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Omeister
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed 6 nights over Christmas and loved it, staff always had a smile on their faces and were eager to please. Very clean and breakfast served on the veranda was tasty as all Balinese food is. We booked a superior room with fan but took the mosquito net off to get the benefit of the fan, closing the windows at night we had no problems with mosquito's I even put a light rug over my legs in the early hours of the morning. Just opposite Sama C look out for taxi driver, I Made Wardana the 3 tours we did with him were so much fun. Recommend visiting the Elephant Safari Park but get there early if you are going to ride the elephants also dont miss Kecak Fire and Trance Dance held at one of the Temples info is available at Sama. Thankyou so much to all staff we loved every minute staying with you and hope to return some day, cheers from room 2

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends