“Great local food”

Cafe Wayan & Bakery
Ranked #70 of 828 Restaurants in Ubud
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Cafe Wayan and Bakery Established in 1986 We are happy to have had so many nice guests come to enjoy our food for over 31 years. Cafe Wayan started as a small warung (a local food stall) where Ibu Wayan sold black rice pudding and coffee to the rice farmers on what has now become Monkey Forest Road. Tourist began walking down "the path" to the Monkey Forest and stopped by for a coffee, snacks or to buy peanuts for the monkeys. Ibu Wayans always love to cook as a child and soon the menu began to expand. Return friends to Ubud began helping with recipes of western dishes as long term visitors and residents sometimes miss their own food too. Ibu Wayan began traveling abroad and learned more western cooking with Chef Joe Schultz of India Joes's restaurant in Santa Cruz, California and also learned the art of Thai cuisine in Bangkok.
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Beautiful surrounding and delicious traditional Balinese food, we had lunch there after long morning of shopping and what a treat it was, highly recommended.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,492)

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Cafe wayan was recommended to us as a great place to eat, unfortunately for me it was the last place I ate, it's been 3 days now and I have been a frequent visitor to the toilet...!
My partner and I have shared every meal since we arrived in Bali, but with the buffet at Wayan it was the only place we ate different things, she does not eat red meat, so my advice to you is eat at Wayan at your own risk, the staff were friendly and a nice setting but some of the dishes were cold, and I think maybe a bit old, and defiantly contained a dose of the dreaded Bali belly.....
The food was also not very nice, way overcooked chicken satay, cold lumpia,
So a big thumbs down from me.
If I could rate it a negative I would!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Cafe Wayan is an amazing restaurant, in Ubud, Bali, Indonesia.

We have been there twice, so far, but it is so good you can go again and again. On Sundays, their is a buffet and on other nights, a la carte.
There is a wide range of vegetarian and non-vegetarian food. The vegetarian food was especially delicious. One whole side was vegetarian (in the buffet) and it consisted of delicious vegetarian dishes. The corn-fritters were the best !
The staff were helpful and as you looked at the different components of the buffet. They would kindly explain what the dish consisted of.

We had a wonderful experience at Cafe Wayan and would happily go again:)

Reviewed December 8, 2013

This place was so good we ate here twice. The first time, we came based on a recommendation from our driver and sat on cushions at a low table and had a long, leisurely lunch while we waited out the rain. The Nasi Campur was great, every component was tasty! The sate was amazing. We returned for dinner later in the trip, and loved it just as much.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Went back to Cafe Wayan on our recent second trip to Bali having a good experience the last trip. Went for the old favourite Nasi Campur and others had Nasi Goreng and a ravioli dish. My wife and I had thoroughly enjoyed our Nasi Campur a couple of years ago. The ingredients of the dish tasted a little stale (we went for dinner this time, lunch the last trip), major disappointment. The ravioli was better.Nasi goreng wass ok.

Did not live up to our previous experience on the food, the ambience and service is still good. Perhaps just a bad day.