“Expensive and not that special”
Review of Ubud Inn

Ubud Inn
Ranked #177 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Groot-Ammers
“Expensive and not that special”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed here for one night because we were travelling to the south.
We stayed here because the hotel we wanted was fully booked and ended up here.
the room was clean, but very modest.
at 5 in the morning we were waked by a rooster who kept screaming for an hour.
Pro is that the hotel is very central and that is what you pay for.

It was way to pricey for Balinese standards, ( 80 dollars or 65 euros) for a normal room.
I've seen better places for less money.

breakfast is included, but not that great. The staff was friendly but the second we said we wanted the room, a staffmember wanted to know where we were going next and if we wanted transport. It is kind of annoying but it is the way Balinese people make a living so eventually we negiotated with him and got a good deal and a good driver.
But if you do not want anything just kindly say no thank you.

but the hotel is average and there are better places to stay in Ubud. Book in advance, because Ubus is popular en pricey.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2012

This place came recommended in my guide book and proved to be a good place to stay. The location is great for access to the main attractions of Ubud, and while my room was basic it was a good price.
My only complaint concerned the staff at breakfast. Each morning of my stay a different member of staff (male staff - the female waiting staff were very polite and quiet) came to speak to me and while seeming to be 'helpful' were actually trying to sell me things to do at much higher than the going rate. Each day I politely declined their offers and instead either arranged trips myself or through an agent on the main street - always for a much lower price than the hotel staff mentioned. I wish I'd been left alone at breakfast as pushy sales each morning really did not make for a happy start to the day!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Wellington, NZ
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I had a good stay at Ubud Inn. A variety of room types are scattered in lusher-than-lush gardens. I thought it a peaceful place to stay. Surprisingly so as its on the main street, near the monkey forest. The staff I found to be friendly and helpful.
I had a standard room for a few nights which was clean and cosy but in need of some TLC. The bed linen was clean and crisp, with a beautiful local patch work blanket. The bathroom was a little grotty and the towels a little old. The pool is pretty good too- its a decent size and refreshing.
The highlight after the gardens is the breakfast, its yummy filling; fruit, choice of black rice pudding or banana pancakes or omlette. Get up early enough and see the adopted fuit bat being fed!
I would recommend staying here. Yes its cheap, so don't expect 5 star, but I found it value for money.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Very dissapointing stay at the Ubud Inn. My girlfriend and I got a standard double room reduced from the normal price of US $100 due to it being low season.

On close inspection the room was filthy and had it not been for the fact we were exhasuted and only stayng for 1 night, we would have left straight away. The room smelt of mould which was growing in the bathroom, walls and shower curtain. The room we stayed in and the hotel itself could be lovely - it is just very neglected. A plug socket in our room was hanging off the wall and the door was locked with a padlock - which still allowed the door to be pushed open to reveal a large gap - not very safe indeed. The hotel entrance looks impressive but behind the facade it is a very different story. The reception staff were blunt and not very friendly.

Breakfast wasn't great but the most annoying thing was that the waiter was more like a salesman! He kept trying to sell us the hotel taxi service - all we wanted to do was eat our breakfast in peace.

The pathways in the hotel are poorly lit at night, we had to use a torch to get to our room located behind the pool.

Checkout time was midday so in the morning we went and did some last minute shopping. We arrived back to our room at 11am to find the bed had been made and the room 'tidyed'. Obviously the room maid didn't know we were checking out - what kind of hotel makes up a hotel room on the day that a person is checking out! The frustrating thing was that we had left our clothes etc on the bed to pack when we got back and the room maid moved them all.

As I mentioned, if I had been paying the full price for this room I would have left. There are much better hotels for a lot less within a few meters of the Ubud Inn. Definately would not be back.

Room Tip: Book a hotel elsewhere on Monkey Forest Road.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Pault1980

Travelers are raving about these Ubud hotels

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2012

On the first look, it looks perfect; great location, beautiful garden and room ok... a little bit pricy though... (100$ per day).

We stay three nights and we had to leave early to catch our shuttle to Padang Bai (to go the Gili Islands) which was booked with the hotel staff. When we checkout at 6am, the guy at the reception told us everything was paid and was ok so we left with the shuttle bus driver. About 30 minutes later, the driver stop the bus and tell us he received a call from the hotel saying the we didn't pay for our rooms and that I will have to get back and pay. I was shocked, I called the hotel and told us that I did the checkout and everything was paid. He was barely speaking english and did not understand what I was trying to explain and told us I try to steal from him and how come I left without paying... I told him it should be a mistake and then I offer to pay to the driver what was missing for our stay because I didn't want to miss my ferry for Gilis. He finally said ok and that he would call back the driver to let him know how much was it. When we arrived at Padang Bai, the driver told us that we owed more than 3 nights... We didn't want to have problem so we paid it. Once we get back to Canada, we realized that they double charged us!!!!

Avoid this hotel, the hotel staff is untrustable!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MattyFoodie
San Francisco
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed here 5 nights after two horrible nights at the Okawati. Our rooms were spotless and fresh. The plantings in the garden were outstanding. I can't believe the negative reviews here. It couldn't be a same hotel. Breakfast had 3 choices and we asked for two eggs and it was no problem. The pancakes were wonderful. Location good and just a short walk to many good restaurants.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gingerSanFrancisco
Coolum Beach, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Dirty , damp, musky rooms. Dirty towels. No pool towels only old bath towels .No chairs in room . No plugs or hot water in vanity. Had to ask for new towels every day even though they took the old . Breakfast was a choice of one egg cooked any way . Staff harrassed you for transport both on the way & during breakfast & asked very inflated prices .
Spoilt a great trip to Bali

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple