I have just returned from a one-month stay at Tanah Merah, and when I came to post my review, I noted...with total disbelief...the review from org_was from Perth. I have traveled throughout the world and stayed at many of the most highly rated resorts and hotels, and I can state without qualification that Tanah Merah is my absolute favorite. The accommodations are immaculate and cleaned at least 2 times...and often 3 times...each day. The setting is spectacular...high above a deep river gorge in an amazingly peaceful and tranquil setting. The staff is the nicest, friendliest, most courteous and most helpful staff I have EVER experienced. They will literally do anything they can to make you feel welcome and to meet any reasonable need. The food in the restaurant is fresh, healthy and on a par with any of the best restaurants in LA, NY, etc. And while Tanah Merah is situated about 10 minutes from the center of Ubud, the drive to and from town is through some of the most scenic landscape of Bali, with views of terraced rice fields, mountains and the volcano.
The comments about the Wi-Fi, mosquitoes, noisy area and the dogs actually make me chuckle. As I mentioned, I was there for 30 days, and with the exception of a short (approx 20 hour) period, I had absolutely no difficulty connecting to the Wi-Fi. During that entire period, I got maybe 3 mosquito bites, much fewer than I get when I go to the Hamptons in the summer. The “noise” is actually the sound of the river running below, and the sounds of the jungle at night. Personally, I pay extra for these. And the giant lizards are in fact geckos. Don’t come here if you don’t like the outdoors.
And speaking of the river, the world that awaits at the bottom of the steps down to the river is AMAZING. And the staff at Tanah Merah is happy to accompany you down and then take you for a swim up river to an AMAZING waterfall, which is often surrounded by the local monkeys. Again, don’t come here if you don’t appreciate being in a natural and unspoiled setting.
I actually got to know the dogs well over my 30 day stay, and saw them bathed at least 2 or 3 times a week.
Bottom line: this place is fabulous. And not just for me. Over the course of the 30 days I was there, I met MANY very interesting people from around the world...from Australia, the Netherlands, Denmark, the US, and to a person, when they learned that I was staying a month, they ALL told me that they wished they were staying longer.
I have come to believe that Bali is one of the most special places on Earth, but that it only appeals to those with an open heart and an open mind. And for those with an open heart and an open mind, Tanah Merah is THE BEST!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unique Tanah Merah Art resort is located only 4 km (4000 m) from the center of busy Ubud. The short scenic route from Ubud winds thru rice terraces with view of the big volcanoes until you arrive at the hotel with the only access in Ubud to the Petanu river in the jungle, where you can swim up to the waterfall. The 18 villas and rooms are decorated with art and antiques. The unique museum and gallery here take you thru 2000 years of Indonesian and Balinese history. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Tanah Merah Art Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tanah Merah Resort And Gallery
- Tanah Merah Resort & Gallery Hotel Ubud
- Tanah Merah Hotel Gallery
- Tanah Merah Art Resort Ubud, Bali