“Unique and Beautiful”

Tanah Merah Art Resort
Ranked #91 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We discovered this hotel on Trip Advisor when looking for a room with a view in Ubud, but the deciding factor to stay in Tanah Merah was its private gallery and museum, and yes we did get rooms with the most fantastic views. On arrival, we were upgraded to a new huge standalone deluxe suite on the first floor with huge windows overlooking an expanse of ‘jungle’ and the valley. Thank you Herman! We spent four nights in Tanah Merah, the first two in the deluxe suite and the last two in the Mads Lange villa. There are no views of rice paddies, so if that’s what you want then this hotel might not be for you. I preferred the river and gorge.
Our deluxe suite was on the first floor. For a larger group I think you can book the ground floor villa as well with its private swimming pool, although I'm not sure about the views from the groundfloor suite. Our suite consisted of one large, well-appointed sitting room, a large bedroom and a long bathroom with a bathtub, shower and toilet. The tea and coffee-making facilities were in the bathroom, which I found odd even though everything was very clean. We slept very well in our four-poster bed, and our son was comfortable in his single bed. Given the large windows, the bedroom was a bit hot, perhaps because it takes long for the air-conditioner to cool down the large rooms with the large glass windows. When I mentioned this in passing to the manager the next day, and they immediately set up a fan which helped the night. I then wished I had also mentioned the very dim reading light as they might have changed that too.
There are many very beautiful paintings and ceramics and all the doors are antique (they creak a bit, sounding very loud at night when it is so quiet and peaceful, but I wouldn't have the courage to complain about anything so very beautiful). Thankfully, my son is a teenager as I would have been very nervous about a young child accidently breaking a vase or damaging a painting. Peter, the owner, is obviously a very generous man to share his treasures with his guests.
The Mads Lange suite is very beautiful. Another standalone cottage it has a small private pool with a gazebo and a jacuzzi. Again the sitting room and the bedroom are very large, very well appointed. There is also a little dressing/luggage room attached to the bathroom and it was really nice not having to see our ungainly bags in the beautiful rooms. A large four-poster bed, turndown service (in both suites), a powerful enough light to read a good book in a cool room, was the perfect end to a great day. The bedroom has photographs and paintings of Mads Lange and his descendents, a small history lesson (more on that later). Having portraits of political figures in the bedroom might not be to everyone’s taste but for me brought back memories of staying in the old colonial guesthouses in India (different people and very different levels of comfort). Again the rooms had beautiful doors, paintings and ceramics. Although we could see only bits of the river, we could hear it when sitting out on the private patio. Sitting out at night listening to the sounds of the jungle, watching the fireflies was beautiful and I’d love to do it again.
The hotel has rooms and suites at different prices, built around the property at different levels. There are two pools and towels for the pool are provided in each room. There is enough privacy especially in the two suites we stayed in. The steps are steep, and older people and families with very young might find it difficult to go to the restaurant where breakfast is served or the pools, or explore the very beautiful grounds, which are unique with statues, old walls and flowers. If you want to swim in the river, I suggest you go with a hotel guide; we went on our own for a swim but chickened out partly because two of us found the water too cold and two were scared of critter encounters. Again some of the steps are steep and some are slippery so take care. The grounds are dotted with small shrines that have daily offerings and statues, and just beyond you have the gorge and the wildness of the hills and the river. There are mosquitoes but the hotel provides coils. We also carried our sprays, and these were handy especially in the restaurant.
Except for one lunch and two dinners that we had in Ubud, we had all our meals in the hotel restaurant, as we had done most of our sightseeing and wanted to chill out in Tanah Merah. The menu is limited and the food is good. Service is a bit slow but we were on holiday and so we relaxed and waited. We found the prices reasonable for a hotel of this standard. I think most guests had their meals in Ubud.
Booking through the hotel website is easy and Herman was very prompt in responding to all our questions. The young staff are extremely accommodating, pleasant and courteous. They carry all your bags up and own those stairs and so deserve a good tip! As the hotel discourages individual tipping, I wish they would have a have a locked tip box, instead of asking guests to give their tips in an envelope to the manager.
Save a morning to see the gallery and the museum and you might even get lucky, as we were, and have Peter give you a brief history lesson on Bali before guiding you through his precious and beautiful museum. An unique privilege to see some amazing artefacts.
The hotel is about a 10-15 minute drive from the centre of Ubud. The hotel provides free transport into Ubud until 6pm every day.We had an unfortunate incident regarding the hotel transport on our last night, which almost ruined what would have been a perfect holiday. If we stay here again, we will organise our own transport or have any arrangements with the hotel written down by the mananger to avoid misunderstandings.
I would not hesitate to recommend Tanah Merah, which for me was a unique and beautiful experience. It is so very different from the big large impersonal resorts and hotels. So thank you all at Tanah Merah for a wonderful and relaxing holiday.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sableHongkong

Reviewed January 18, 2013

It was my dream to stay at a villa in Bali that had a private pool with a beautiful view. Tanah Merah made my dream come true -- and within my budget.

We had the bottom floor of the new Bintang Suite with the private pool and it was just perfect. My entire family and gasped with delight at everything -- our private pool with the view of the valley, having lunch served on the outside dining table, the gorgeous doors, the simple but elegant bathroom, the fresh flowers decorated everywhere. The only downside about staying at such a beautiful villa is that we never wanted to leave to explore the other parts of the resort such as the art gallery or the main pool.

The hotel staff takes guests to play in the river below and my family had such a wonderful time. My daughter said it was more fun than surfing in Kuta or snorkeling in Amed.... The free rides to Ubud were great to have. Breakfast was yummy and portions large.

Cons: Wifi connection is intermittent. I had to bring my iPad to town and used it to confirm bookings, etc.

My family and I will never forget our first stay in paradise.

Room Tip: I didn't want to stay in any place "rustic" with insects or gecko visitors and the Bin...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Unforgettable resort; ; unique, classy and the ultimate in relaxation. I was a solo traveler over Christmas. The super friendly staff prepared a fabulous traditional Christmas dinner for all guests. It was festive, fun and deeply appreciated.
I went to many art galleries in Bali, but this one was tHe best by far!
I have been fortunate to have stayed in some of the finest hotels in the world, but truly believe Tanah Merah trumps them all.

Room Tip: Splurge for the villa (B?) especially if you want AC. There's one amazing villa with a private...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Peter and his staff were very helpful and attentive but at the same time unobtrusive. This is a great little resort that doesn't have the impersonal nature often found in large resorts. It is a couple of Kms out of Ubud but the resort has a driver for the trip into town and the trip back was 50,000 IDR. Fabulous views. Very relaxing. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This little resort is located a few miles outside of Ubud, a tourist hub and art center. We stayed in a studio suite with authentic Balinese character. If you need additional space, they offer villas and houses, as well. The property includes two swimming pools, three restaurants, an art gallery, and museum. The resort is in a very serene setting overlooking a heavily forested river valley. You would never know that you were only ten or fifteen minutes away from the city.

The entire staff was friendly and accommodating. They offer free shuttle service to Ubud on request. We were allowed to use our room for several hours after the official checkout time while we waited for our airport transportation.

The free breakfast included fresh fruits, freshly squeezed juice, several kinds of freshly baked breads, eggs, bacon, coffee or tea, and several side dishes. Dinners were equally good, offering a wide choice of salads, sandwiches, soups, pasta, and various Balinese dishes.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for an authentic feeling Bali resort located in a quiet setting with beautiful surroundings, providing excellent service.

Room Tip: Even though the studios are large, I would probably choose one of the villas next time, because of t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed at Tanah Merah in December 2012.
First we booked a studio, but at arrival we were offered the Mads Lange Villa for a reasonable extra amount. We found this villa with private pool and jacuzzi an absolute gem! Beautifull view and the room itself is a one of a kind, with a lot of information/and historic background of Mads Lange, which story is actually very interesting.

Also the service from al the people at TM was great, al meals incl. breakfast can be brought to your room for no extra and we had free drop off at Ubud centre.

The whole hotel terrain is quite big and very well maintained, with two nice pools.
Lot of steps though.. ( :

Absolute recommendation!

Room Tip: I guess every type of accomadation is good at this hotel, but if you have the chance and the money f...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BartWessels
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Definitely you will have a unique experience in this hotel. It sounds just like a dream. I tried both studio room and mads lange villa. Studio was good but mads lange villa was quite unbelievable. Don`t concern the price. Be sure that mads lange villa and especially its private pool worthes more than you can imagine. In addition do not miss to try the river surely with help of two professionals staying in hotel.
Finally, Tanah Merah is an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple