“Loka Sari...”

Gustis Garden Bungalows
Ranked #178 of 200 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Well... It's a complicated story. We booked 3 nights at Gusti's because of the great reviews and ratings but when we arrived on the 22nd they took us to another property across the street that is called "Loka sari" in fact the people in both properties were very nice and lovely but that was not the place we were booked at! Gusti's bungalows are really nice and peaceful and located by a river and has a cozy swimming pool with beautiful set up and the place we stayed in is not even comparable with that. I really don't know why they took us to another place but it was so disappointing. Why...? There are three main problems with Loka Sari. 1- the hot water is like 30 second hot water and 5 min cold water if you're lucky 2- starting from 3 am couple of roosters start to sing until next noon! and you can add the pleasant sound of barking dogs to that and enjoy the symphony the whole night, however this problem can be solved with a pair of ear plugs 3- the pillows are hard and made the sleep quality so poor. I cannot say our stay was not pleasant but taking us to another property across the street with another name (I even paid our bill directly to the owner of Loka Sari) is still a question for which I hope to receive an answer from booking.com.

Room Tip: Make sure you will stay in where you originally booked
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

checked in for two nights having made the reservation before hard and communications with the manger had been perfect. the rooms are average but what you would expect from a budget hotel but the verandahs are lovely- I had a great view over the gardens and relaxing water stream noise and birds singing in the background. service is efficient and motorcycle rental was provided. locatIon Is good. they could improve by having hot water constantly rather than having to ask and providing a bar of soap. would recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have just spent three weeks in Gustis Bungalows and am pleased to say I have had a great stay. I've read some of the negative reviews but noted they were quite old. Having spoken to Mr Gusti himself (at least i presume it was him) he informed me proudly that he was doing up the rooms one by one, and indeed for the price I paid (discounted for the length of stay to $20 a night) , I thought I had a real bargain. The room I had was obviously one ot these. The bathroom was completely tiled from top to bottom and clean, the mattress was great. Tiled floor (very slippery when wet) Thick new mattress and pillows, high speed fan, dressing table with stool and bedside cabinets, pleasant tiled room, with lovely private balconey with views over the lovely garden, newly renovated plunge pool and pleasant staff. You have to ask when you want your room cleaned as there is only one key, you can have it done every day if you want, sheets changed etc daily, not that I bothered.. What more can you want for the money? Also wonderfully situated in lovely Kajeng Road, 5 mins yet a world away from the insane traffic of the main drag. At the top of the road is wonderul rice fields and jungle walk which leads you in a circle back to the main drag. Lots of cheap little warungs abound and it's quiet and peaceful. if you want a real swim, next door at Kajeng Bungalows, for $1.50 you can spend a day around their pool which is fabulous, unfortunately their rooms are not. So you get the best of both worlds. I recommend Gustis, best place for the money I have stayed so far in Bali.....

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 15, 2013

we stayed he for several days, the porch of our bugalow overlooking the fantastic garden. Butterflies big as your hand flying around. the rooms were ok, maybe a little damp, but because we stayed in low season, we bargained a very reasonable price. I can imagine that it's a little overpriced in High season... Still, we loved it!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My bungalow had a spacious porch with comfy chairs overlooking the lush hillside garden. The room was large and clean. Although the pool at the bottom of the garden was small, it was nice to cool off after a day of exploring Ubud. I describe how I discovered Gusti’s in “Two Journeys: Swimming from Darkness to Light,” a book I wrote about my adventures in Bali as a solo traveler (which you can find on amazon or wattpad)

Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 17, 2012

While the gardens that Gusti's are named after are very beautiful the rooms are atrocious and so is the service.

I had to take the foam mattress from one of the single beds and stick it on top of the other bed just so I didn't feel like I was sleeping on a wooden plank. Both mattresses were damp as was the bed linen. The bathroom was dank and dark and stank of mildew. I didn't even have a rubbish bin and the room wasn't cleaned during my stay. I didn't even bother asking for more toilet paper because trying to speak to the family/staff generally met with eye rolling. My room was right by one of their shrines and each night someone would come to pray and switch on a light that flooded my room, but didn't bother to switch it off again. Oh and my room was full of frogs.

As others have mentioned bring your own soap and if you want to keep anything cold you have to use the kitchen fridge and generally move a few dripping, bloody chickens out of the way to make space.
The only good thing about the place was the location. Home now and sick as a dog as are the rest of the group I stayed with. Save your money and your health!

• Stayed: September 2012
5  Thank Kate W
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Being 5 minutes walk away from Ubud's main street this is in a nice quiet location away from the awful noisy traffic. Nice tropical garden setting with lovely views from our balcony. The front part of the hotel is actually a traditional Balinese family compound complete with temple area. Comfortable room though bathroom a little scruffy (if you're fussed by such things!) and the room wasn't cleaned in 3 days (had to ask for new toilet rolls). Nice breakfast served in the garden pavillion. Overall pretty good value at Rp300,000 / £21 prpn. The hotel can arrange taxis for excursions, day trips, transfers, etc. at a very reasonable rate (we paid Rp400,000 / £28 for a transfer to Padang Bai via Bangli temple - about a four hour drive one way - easier than negotiating on the street). Friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple