“Not as great as it looks...”

Gustis Garden Bungalows
Ranked #176 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I have been to Bali many, many times, and when I have gone to Ubud I use to like to stay at Gusti's. But in the past 6 or 7 years, Mr. Gusti has become more of a kermudgeon and the bungalows more musty, moldy, moist and dusty. I have not seen one new items over the past 10 years. There are many homestays as beautiful as Gusti's (the gardens are lovely) but that have DRY feeling rooms without the smell of mildew. The people of Bali are known for their warm smiles and graciousness. You will rarely find this at Gusti's. Even when I was staying there two to three times a year, Gusti acted like he didn't know me... always aloof and distant. You will have to buy your own soap, and buy your own food to supplement what your are served. I always had my own milk for tea, fruit from the market, and bottled water. I would say, try somewhere else! Also, someone wrote that you should get reservations. I say NO. You will get a place in Bali that is beautiful and authentic and half the price of what you might see on line if you bargain when you get there. Trust this advice unless you are staying in the Nusa Dua area and want ritzy stuff. But I would say, trust and enjoy the simple beauty and friendliness of Bali! You aren't likely to find it at Gusti's.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Jodie D
There are newer reviews for Gustis Garden Bungalows

Reviewed March 28, 2012

This nice place is set on a quiet street. It is very peaceful and wonderfully overgrown with vegetation. People are friendly. Has a small pool, basic bathroom facilities, breakfast is simple, but nice.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2012

This was my second stay at Gusti's (March 2012). I had stayed there previously in 2009.
Due to having a tight budget and our other accommodation we had been using full we opted for Gusti's as Ubud can be costly, also we planned to be out and about doing things therefore would be spending minimal time there and just really needed a place to sleep at night and dump our bags.

The place looks very dated now. I had booked two bungalows one of the glass doors was cracked and stuck together with tape. The water frequently was turned off with no warning.
Our bungalows were right at the top next to the family quarters, when coming in and out of the place they were not very welcoming.

Breakfast was like camping. Flasks on each table with hot water. Two teabags and a jar of powdered coffee. When we requested milk they went gave us condensed milk which had been stabbed open with a knife. Plates and cutlery were really old, the choice of food was not great. Also we noticed an old mattress in the kitchen where someone had possibly been sleeping.

The bathroom really needs basic maintenance e.g fixing a broken toilet handle. No soap. Limescale overload. The bedroom was clean however they didn't offer to clean the room - we were there for three nights. Towels looked like a Granddad's sports towel from the 1960's. On our arrival the bin outside my parents room was full of old alcohol bottles and wasn't emptied for the duration of our stay.

The staff were okay. The only time they bothered to come check on our room was when we were packing to leave they came and left new towels and cleaning things at our door as a major hint to hurry up and get out.

I wouldn't bother going back - for 100,000 rhp more you can find lovely accommodation.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Minkalot
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Stayed for a night in june 2011. Had been recommended by a friend. Lovely gardens and water features. Service quite basic; food average; room very basic. A lot better can be found in Ubud for the price

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank spudnikfalcon
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Friends in Ubud recommended we try Gusti's Garden 1 on Jalan Kajeng, which is my favourite street in Ubud, so we did but we were disappointed. On the good side the location of Gusti's is right on one of the rice-field walks that we love; and the site, on the side of a valley is attractive, with lots of steps. The bungalows all seem to be quite different from each other, but all are of a good size and most have a good outlook. We had no problem with mice/rats as you often do in Ubud. On the negative side they need to replace much of the dirty mouldy furniture, particularly the cushions, and the bathrooms could do with a good clean or, better still, an upgrade. The restaurant is only used for breakfasts. When we inquired about price and vacancies we were quoted different prices by different staff members, but generally we found them friendly and approachable. There is a pool at the bottom of the site but it did not attract us to it. Would we stay there again? - only if they replaced some soft furnishing or at least cleaned up a bit. Oh I nearly forgot - they set a new record for the hardest pillow I have ever laid my head on and I was silly enough to look inside the pillowcase!

Room Tip: Choose a bungalow as near to the top as possible.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Popnorm
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Ubud itself is beautifull, so are the places to stay. We did don't make reservations, so we went all the way down to Jin. Kajeng (a street full of hotels and bungalows). No. 27 it's Gusti's!. We were lucky to get a really nice bungalow for 2 days. I believe the higher you climb the stairs the better the rooms you get: porch, tv, aircondition, queensize bed and furniture out of bamboo. Nice staff, pool, green garden silence and good breakfast.
Negotiate about the price and better make reservations, because when u like the place like we did, we could only stay 2 nights at that bungalow (because it was booked for someone else). We were offered a place on the groundfloor (between pool and restaurant-part). That was hardly as good as upstairs. For instance the bathroom was not so good and beds were seperate and it was darker because of the many trees in the garden: But okay! Btw its a 10 minutes walk to the real centre. Sometimes dogs bark at you in that street, but that was the only dislike.

Room Tip: ask to look at several rooms, you will see that the higher you stay the better
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2011

We initially planned to stay only 3 nights in Ubud, finally there were 7... We stayed the whole time in Gustis Garden Bungalow. The staff is very nice and the place just charming, away from noisy roads

Room Tip: It was good value for the price paid
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends