“Musty, Muggy, Mildewy, Moldy, Moist”

Gustis Garden Bungalows
Ranked #176 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
USA
“Musty, Muggy, Mildewy, Moldy, Moist”
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Gustis is overrated considering your choices for the same price around Ubud. I would say the only advantage of staying at Gustis is getting up early in the morning and having a short walk up to the entrance of the Champuhan rice paddy trail. The grounds are photo worthy, but it’s the stay that’s not.

The Room: The rooms felt like they were on top of each other. There wouldn’t have been any privacy had I opened my curtains. I had a great balcony looking over the pool, and I had a great view of Gusti’s grounds and the hotel property next door. This didn’t provide much privacy for others. Both the bedroom and bathroom looked old and dusty. The blankets were moist from the humidity. It’s probably best if they just stick with sheets. I did not enjoy hearing the scurrying of rats in the ceiling all night.

Staff: Over the so-so breakfast I had to experience the owner’s very pushy sell of a Kecak Dance performance. He didn’t ask me if I wanted to go. He told me I was going. Gustis is truly a guesthouse because the family lives there. That means you don’t have to pay extra tax on your room. Kids could be heard running around and laundry was hanging every where. While I was there I was woke up to the loud buzzing landscape equipment.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed August 12, 2011

You can't really complain when you're just paying 30$ a night for a room. But there are better places in Ubud than Gusti's.

The rooms are not all the same. But in general the rooms are really wet due to the position of the Bungalows near to the woods and a small river. Toilet and Shower are old and used, but ok. Every second day ther's a problem with the hot water. The room is only cleaned on request and the cleaning could be better. Towels and sheets are changed on request. Breakfast is ok but not overwhelming. The staff is friendly, when avaliable.

The rooms are noisy. 1. There is a loud waterfall nearby. 2. the crickets never stop. 3. The staff is loud, especially in the morning around 7am.

The location of Gusti's is good - not far from the market in Ubud and near a walk throu the rice fields.

The swimmingpool is useless: no sun, to small, not cozy.

I wouldn't recomend the place. Rather go to Rhoda or Padma in the same street. They have no pool but better rooms and service.

• Stayed August 2011

Travelers are raving about these Ubud hotels

hobart
Reviewed July 12, 2011

HATI HATI This place should be avoided. My wife wouldn't even sit on the bed, let alone sleep in it. The room smelled mouldy when we first arrived. So i looked at the mattress and pillows, they were black with mould. I am sure if we had persisted and stayed we would've become ill. We booked 2 rooms, one for my son(12 years) and one for my wife and I. The lock on Frank's room didn't work. The steps leading from reception to our room was very dangerous. The linen on the bed wasn't clean. Its only redeeming feature was that the staff were friendly. I felt sorry for them that had to work in such a place. After leaving our luggage in the room, we went in search of alternative places, and we luckily found found Puri Bayu (off Jalan Bisma) . it was more economical than Gusti and clean, sheets changed everyday, beautiful bathroom, and from our 1st floor room we had a view across the rice paddies. And in the evenings a cool breeze would blow across the valley. So moving out of Gusti was probably the best decision we made during our holiday.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank klektik
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 17, 2011

I have stayed at both hotels : Gustis Garden 1 & Gustis Garden 2. Without hesitation, the best is GG 2.
GG 1 :
Very central. Garden and pool are amazing. Rooms are big and clean. Staff is OK. Very noisy in the morning (people and kids are talking LOUD).
GG 2 :
Not very central. Small pool. Rooms are big and clean. Staff is nice. Very quiet. The view is AMAZING. You are literally in the middle of rice fields. Breakfast is served on your balcony.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2010

I stayed here for one night with a friend when Ubud Bungalow was full. I preferred Ubud Bungalow as it seemed just a bit more up-scale, but the gardens at Gustis are lovely, the staff are friendly, and the location (a vibrant side street in Ubud) is a bit more mellow than the many bungalows based on the busy touristy streets. The location here is quiet and pleasant, so much so that it's a bit of a shock once you turn out on the main street! The bungalows are nestled on a hill in the back that leads down to a pool and a simple restaurant where breakfast is served (banana/papaya/pineapple, tea or coffee, and choice of banana pancake, local cooked banana sandwich, and one other thing I unfortunately don't remember). The pool is not that big but clean and there is an outdoor shower next to the pool. They offered towels on request but no soap/shampoo. The inside of the bungalow was fine, but my comforter smelled like mold so I didn't sleep with it. They arranged a driver to take me to the airport (DPS) for the appropriate going rate and were very friendly.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2010

A very overrated place. Staff not helpful, rooms rundown as well as having rats in ceilings, nice garden and good location. Have tried it a couple of times but never again. Twice have booked room only to arrive to be told rooms full.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Aberdeen
Reviewed April 28, 2010

We stayed in room 5. It was pretty basic, the bedding and towels were old and the pillows like rocks. However, there was hot water and the garden and swimming pool are lovely. There were pancakes for breakfast. We only stayed one night as we decided to stay in Ubud an extra day and our previous accommodation was fully booked. It did the job for a night but I would have been disappointed if we had booked a stay of any length here.
The owner was helpful and helped us book slow ferry tickets to Lombok the next day.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple