“Rat in Our Room”

Ranked #472 of 592 Ubud B&B and Inns
Global
“Rat in Our Room”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I guess it is an open air environment but having a rat in our room two nights in a row was not cool. Matahari was recently listed in Lonely Planet so they are building in every corner of the property. The sound of the hammer echoed in our room for the duration of our stay.

I think the growth has gone to their heads an thus the quality of the cute little B&B listed in the LP is well, outdated.

The staff was nice, the breakfast was mediocre. Better to go down the block a few feet and eat at the Bali Buddha and also find somewhere else to stay.

This is my 8th trip to Bali and I wouldn't stay at the Matahari again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Veratus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I visited Matahari back in the 90s and came again for a week stay in June 2011, taking advantage of the 25% discount.

This place is great. Great location, just near the Post Office and great restaurants, as well as the Palace and Markets.

If you're used to staying in Youth Hostels for your accommodation, you'll find this place a delight.

Come with an open mind, and whilst the high tea isn't everything it's made out to be, and the Wifi is intermittent, this was still the best place of nearly a dozen b&b's I managed to poke my head into during my stay. The staff make you feel like family, the breakfast Pavilion and valley ravine place you in the middle of paradise, and the plunge pool overlooking the ravine is divine.

Will definitely come back to stay next time.

• Stayed June 2011
Amberley, New Zealand
Reviewed August 14, 2011

The resort is just far enough away from the hustle and bustle but it takes only 5 minutes to walk down to the Ubud market. The babi guling down the road, is a must have. Also, the walk around the monkey forest is a must do. It is a short 25- 30 minute walk to and from.

Ask for Deva the driver, he is a fabulous host and will take you around the touristy spots. He is dependable & cheerful and will happily cater to your requirements. It is excellent value for money.

The staff do their very best to make you comfortable, always a cheerful smile and a warm greeting.

Room Tip: There are different sorts of rooms depending on your price bracket.
Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KashuNut
Gorinchem, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 14, 2011

The Lonely Planet mentiones this B&B in Ubud and since we were looking for one during our stay in peak season we booked the Tea Room for three nights. Well, do not expect to sleep comfortable; the room was extremely noisy and badly isolated and located right next to a small reception. Roosters galore so at 4.30 am you will be awaken only to find out that the working staff talks really loud so here you have two ingredients to keep you awake for sure.

The room was ramshackle. Some "walls" existed of cardboard with plastic thus making it draughty and, again, noisy. Oh, and we were accompanied by a gecko of about 30 centimetres who lives in the house and leaves through the numerous cracks and open spaces of the Tea Room. Like everywhere on Bali, here too just transparant sheets that act as curtain so the room bathed in sunlight from 6am on.

Breakfast is poor, just a pancake with tea. The shower was abominable. It was cold and had but three small rays making it one of the worst showers we had ever experienced. There was a bath tub in the room and we washed ourselves using the tap of the tub.

The place of the B&B is neatly located actually. It is away from the ever-busy Ubud main road and upon arrival you will find out that it is actually very quiet . But only till staff and roosters awakes.

All in all, the B&B looks promising upon arrival and everything looks ok with nice gardens and a Japanese charisma but the Tea Room and its facilities we had did not live up to the standard, decent expectations of a common B&B.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Ubud hotels

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed May 1, 2011

We read through all the comments here but since we already paid for the deposit so we decided to give the Matahari a try. What a pleasant surprise! The staff were very accommodating and smily (maybe they just had a rally?? I don’t know.) We stayed in the Indian Pasha Room. It was indeed a little bit damp but we felt OK when we had the air-conditioner on full blast. We moved to the Primitive Room the next day just to try out their different themed rooms as they suggested. We like especially the Balinese floral mural and the exotic Timor mask working as the spout of the faucet to the bathtub. We slept on a large antique Timorese canopy platform carved with alligators.
As one of the comments mentioned, Kadek brought us our morning coffee to our terrace. The green ravine and a small Balinese temple by our room really made us feel like a part of Bali. The breakfast was delicious. The Spanish Omelet is so cute with layers of potato, beans, tomato, and onion. The Banana Rhum Cake at the afternoon tea is my most favored. We got the chance to have a glance of the new rooms. They are bigger and newer indeed but we like it more on the themed room side.
The property is going through a minor renovation so you’ll see some building material outside at the parking area. The Wi-Fi connection was not very stable. But there is a Internet Café close by (forget what it’s called) and it’s about 2 minutes walking from Matahari, offering fast Internet access.
Overall, we were quite satisfied with our stay in Matahari. We would recommend this place if you expect more flair to your trip and more connections to the local people and surroundings.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lundlund
Perth
Reviewed April 26, 2011

(I'm re-submitting this review, as the overall rating in my original one did not reflect the number of stars I thought I'd given it).

We stayed at Matahari Cottage for 3 nights at the beginning of April. All in all, ours was a pleasant stay. Perhaps not the very best value for money, but the place is quirky and the staff very friendly. I enjoyed the pretty, lush if small gardens, the bamboo and birds view of the ravine, rather than the ubiquitous rice paddies of Ubud which do nothing for me. I'm aware that other reviews on tripadvisor are mixed. I think it all depends on how you look at things and what your needs are, as to whether you see this hotel as good value or not, so I will try to give as detailed a review as possible!

I learned that Matahari Cottage is owned by a local Balinese woman and that internet bookings are managed by Sean who now lives in Vietnam. The owner's son Adi, who lives in Denpasar, comes and checks up on things regularly for her (we met and chatted he filled me in on all of this while were there). The staff are available 24/7 and indeed very helpful. Ilu and others cheerfully responded to requests for drying racks, umbrellas, room service, use of phone etc. My son enjoyed playing with local kids, guests kids and in the jacuzzi.

Although I initially booked other rooms (Primitive and Barong) we stayed in the Gua room, which is apparently the largest room, on the middle floor of a new section of Matahari across the other side of the driveway (to he left as you enter). It is different from the Gua room pictured on the Matahari website, which I believe is upstairs. There is evidence of a ground floor room also being constructed in the same building. Our Gua room was very pleasant- vast with a king size bed, easily big enough for a family of 5 or even 6, if you ask for extra mattresses. The extra space came in handy when it was raining as my son could play inside (we were there at the end of the wet season, so we had a mix of rain and sun). I'd say this is the quietest room- a bit of a hike down some steps, but worth it for the privacy and quiet.

Gua is a modern room more akin to some of the newer villa style hotels in Ubud than the rest of Matahari, clean and simply but tastefully furnished (a bit of a work in progress- no wardrobes yet but we were happy to live out of our suitcase and I think we got a bit of a discount because of this) and with modern fittings shower etc. Gua has a large bathroom with shower but no bath. It has a large window open to the ravine with a view of bamboo and other trees. Two large ceiling fans, plenty of lights and power points. My favourite feature was a lovely, spaciouos balcony with a bamboo railing overlooking the ravine. Our sheets and towels were changed every day, usually discreetly once we'd gone out. One size overlooks a nice garden, beyond which is a family compound and local temple.

Location-wise, I loved it. I'm not sure why one reviewer suggested Matahari is hard to find- there is a whopping great sign on Jalan Jembawan and an accessible short drive way in but far enough away that there is no road noise. Cars and motorbikes can enter and park in a parking area for convenient drop off and pick up. This is generally a funky little street in central Ubud. It's close to the Jazz cafe (around the corner in the next street) and Bali Buddha vego cafe, or Icelanga cafe on the main road nearby which serves great cheap food, both Balinese and western. Matahari is also close to internet cafes, other shops, and a few spas offering massage (they will come to your room too for around $12). Easy walking or motorbike/taxi distance to the markets and the palace. Also close to Delta Supermarket and the main Ubud Post Office is in Jalan Jembawan. The Neka Art Gallery is a good place to see paintings, right opposite at the end of the street on Jalan Raya.

As for the 'building site' comments, there is evidence of much building work, so I suspect a few new rooms will be available in coming weeks and months (these were being painted while we were there). This is fairly unobtrusive as most building is done by hand and not noisy machines, so I don't think it will impact on your stay- it didn't on ours. There's what apears to be a swimming pool sized hole down in the ravine, but looks like any work on this has halted for now. Similarly, there is much evidence of staff cleaning and gardening.

Regarding noise, even where motorbikes and scooters aren't present, there's probably nowhere in Bali , a tiny island of 4.2 million plus tourists, that you can't hear a rooster or find insects, geckos and assorted other vocal creatures! There are even Muslim mosques with call to prayer in some parts of this mostly Hindu island, so I suggest taking earplugs and mosquito repellant instead of complaining. Ditto this obsession with cleanliness and pristine buildings. My opinion is that, if you visit the tropics, let go of this- everything rots quickly in humid climates, mould is a fact of life, and it takes lot of work on someone's part to halt nature.

There is a cold water jacuzzi rather than a pool at Matahari, which my 4 year old son loved, although no fridge and mostly no aircon, but this is okay if you're in Ubud during the cooler months. I've found that aircon can be a waste of time- too cold at night or doesn't work, but it depends on the size of your room, what time of year it is and how elevated it is as to how effective fan only is. Air con may be necessary during the wet season at night (Oct- March). I liked the library because it is quirky and colorful with lots of interesting nicknacks and because it served as an airconditioned retreat when we needed it. WiFi is available reliably in the breakfast pavilion and intermittently in the library.

The European style afternoon 'high tea' tea was perhaps not as lavish as I'd envisaged, but ample, tasty and nice to return home to. It meant we didn't have to go out all the time for a bite to eat, and we could save it and take it back to our room. Breakfast was different every morning and included both juice (mango, honeydew, even avocado!) and fruit salad plus a main ( two kinds of pancakes, eggs, waffles etc). They were happy to provide hot chocolate for my son and I had endless pots of tea or coffee, sometimes delivered to our room if I didn't feel like dining in the central outdoor food pavilion, and we had our lovely balcony to enjoy it on.

Unlike a lot of Balinese accomodation, I guess what Matahari offers is choices- rooms with a range of prices (starting from $US25 to $US55 with 25% discount if you stay for a week or longer) and sizes, rather than just the standard, bland 'superior', 'deluxe' or 'villa' found at all Balinese 3 star hotels with their standard banana pancake breakfast. The range of reviews here from favourable to scathing could well reflect the choice of room, so I suggest that you mention which room you stayed in (more on choice of rooms later). I agree that, for the price some of the older rooms (Primitive and Pasha) need some TLC.

Although of course I believe we need to be vigilant about unscrupulous hotel owners, adn to be comfortable where we're staying, I am a bit uncomfortable when reviewers quibble over what are really very small amounts of money for most European, US and Australian travellers. Hotel staff in Bali are paid a pittance compared to our means to pay, so when they are friendly and happy it is an indication that the owners and managers are doing the right thing by them and paying them above the norm, as I believe is the case at Matahari, where all linen is apparently washed by hand and all food prepared on the premises.

I had a look at a few other rooms while there and can offer the following opinion:

Rembulan 1 & 2: also in the new part of Matahari, new, a bit smaller than Gua but new fittings etc and quite spacious still.

South Pacific: basic and a bit dark, but has a nice verandah a little away from the centre of Matahari,, though seemingly close to staff area.

Indian Pasha: adjoins Primitive, dark and stuffy- needs work- but nice verandah.
Primitive: nice view, okay verandah overlooking ravine- also needs work in my opinion.

Barong: cute with outdoor bathroom and bath. Very close to the jacuzzi and tea pavilion

Cinnibar: small but sweet, Japanese theme,right next door to the library

All the older rooms were small compared to the newer ones, so to summarize, it seems Matahari offers a choice between old style funky, idiosyncatic and quirky... or new style modern, airy and spacious- all will come with excellent service.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank QuayofSea
singapore
Reviewed April 20, 2011

I do generally try and be as positive in reviews as possible, but I'm afraid that there won't be much love coming when I write this! I guess one of the problems is that you read the latest Lonely Planet and take its review as close to the truth. In this case I'm not sure anyone from LP has visited this place for a very very long time.

First problem - I was chased for the deposit a few days before we arrived despite having paid it several weeks before. Not a big deal, but perhaps it should have been heeded as a warning of worse to come...

When we arrived at the airport and met the driver that the guesthouse had sent for us, he hadn't been told that there were going to be 6 of us, despite us booking three double rooms for 6 people at the guesthouse. So, as he did not have space for us and our bags, he quickly organised a second van for us. We had pre-paid for the transfer from the airport to Ubud, but on arrival at the guesthouse we were asked to pay for the second van. Obviously we did not pay and the staff were quite difficult about this, even though it was their fault for booking too small a van for us.

So into the rooms.....my parents-in-law were due to stay in one of the 'flamboyant, themed rooms' (quote Lonely Planet) but we were told this was not possible as it was raining and there was a leak in the room. When we asked to see the room anyway, they went to turn on the light in the bathroom, the bulb blew and I saw that it was soaking with water dripping off it. Ok, we'll go with the other room then! The parents-in-law were then shown to another room in the new part of the guesthouse which was actually very nice, modern and spacious. Unfortunately, the next day they were asked to move rooms and when they did the person who had been staying in that room was still in there packing for another hour, so they were actually sharing a room with her for that time! The guesthouse then had the cheek to try and charge us extra for that new room even though our original choice was soaking and an electrocuting bathroom! Incredible!

Meanwhile we were settling into our rooms which were also along the 'flamboyant' lines. The rooms were so musty, dark and dank that the mattress and all the bedding (including velvet bedspread!) were wet. I haven't slept anywhere that dank since I stayed in a hut in a rain forest.

Next morning we were at least looking forward to the 'multi-course breakfast' promised by the Lonely Planet. Well it had two courses which is more than one I suppose, but it was hardly multi-course. In fact it was, and I do not exaggerate, a bowl of fruit (one unidentified and inedible, and the other was sliced apple that had been sitting out too long and gone brown); two slightly toasted, but cold and floppy sandwiches (one with chocolate paste in and the other with ham in); and finally cold coffee.

By this stage you have probably either given up or think I am a whinger. I promise you I am not and I am also not soft - I've stayed in some very down and dirty places, but this was so different to what was promised and so expensive for what it was, that I have to go on nd finish the nightmare....

My final whinge was on check out when they didn't realise that we had paid USD100 deposit and so did not take that off the bill. By the time I remembered (it was after all 6am when we left and my brain was not functioning properly) it was too late and I had to apply to the owner by email for a refund (which to be fair he sorted out in a week or so).

Other features mentioned in the LP include a 'Jungle Jacuzzi and a library which is a 'vision of 1920's fantasy'. I didn't venture into the 'Jungle Jacuzzi' as I didn't fancy it or into the Library which was having all it's furniture rearranged whilst we were there. I also did not try the 'high tea elaborately served on silver' (LP) but I understand from my parents-in-law who did try it that it was better than the breakfast, though like the breakfast it featured some slightly odd choices of food.

Now, despite all this, the staff seemed quite nice if a little reserved. Unfortunately they also seemed incapable of making decisions, even a little afraid to do so and it did not seem as if there was really a manager. The aforementioned owner, seems to hang out in The US and direct his staff from there.

I guess the primary lesson is don't rely on LP or the guesthouse website - use Tripadvisor instead!!! I would not advise anyone to stay here, ever. But if you absolutely have to, then make sure you stay in the new rooms, which are actually pretty nice....but leave it a while as that area of the guesthouse, where the in-laws stayed, was a total building site whilst we were there!

Room Tip: If you really have to stay go for the new rooms
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family