“What a shame”

Nick's Hidden Cottages
Ranked #13 of 640 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Excellent location just a short walk from Ubud Monkey Forest. Large old property well kept with a crystal clear pool. All of the staff at the desk were kind and attentive. They were helpful in setting up tours and anything else we needed during our stay. The breakfast was average, nothing special. The one and only problem was the room. Upon entering the room I saw an enormous spider running across the wall and large ants scattered all over the floor. I don't mind bugs very much but my girlfriend was not pleased. Keep in mind that in Bali bugs and reptiles are just reality, they are everywhere. And no matter where you stay you are likely to find a bug in your room at some point during your trip. I noticed that all of the rooms windows have a small 1/2 inch space which lets any bug come in anytime. The king size bed had a bug net hanging over the top of it that was absolutely filthy. There were dead bugs and dust all over the top of it, not to mention the net that hung around the bed was stained and dusty. One night after a long day trip I went to take a shower and found a scorpion in my bathtub. I thought it was kind of cool to see a scorpion but my girlfriend felt uncomfortable after that. The mattress was actually not a mattress, it was a foam cushion wrapped with something. Not terribly uncomfortable but not adequate. Housekeeping did not change the sheets daily, so after a couple nights we threw them on the floor in the morning to make sure they were changed. The bathroom had a little bit of mold which could have easily been cleaned but was not. Also there were areas along the wall and floor that had dust and dirt. I have worked in Hotels for close to ten years and this is the first Hotel I have ever stayed in that did not have one female worker. We stayed six nights and did not encounter one female. Kind of odd. This place has alot of potential but needs updated rooms and proper cleaning.

Room Tip: Discount massage across the street. You get 20% off if you are staying at Nicks Hidden.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jetsetterspe

Reviewed February 1, 2013

The hotel is slightly further away from the downtown core which allows you to escape all the hustle and bustle and actually experience a peaceful getaway. The gardens are well maintained and the pool was gorgeous. If you choose to walk to/fro the hotel it will be worthwhile as you pass several beautiful rice fields. The monkey forest is only about a 15min walk away.
The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. When we wanted to go into town, instead of calling a taxi they offered to drive us by motorcycle. The wifi wasn't working but fortunately their sister hotel Nick's Pension was only about a 10min walk away and they happily shared their wifi.
However the rooms left a lot to be desired. The drapes on the bed were dirty and towels didn't smell very good. We only received soap and no other toiletries. Good thing we only stayed one night because their inattention to details and poor maintenance didn't make for a good impression or comfortable stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night. We originally wanted to stay 1 night longer in Nick's pension but because there was no place anymore we've been relocated to Nick's hidden cottages.

Our first impression was good.. It's located in a quiet, peaceful and beautiful area, not far away from the main road and Monkey Forest. De room wasn't as nice as in Nick's pension but it was much cheaper so that's normal. But after having a good look in the bed I discovered the sheets weren't very clean. There were bloodstains (I think..) on the pillow and sheet. The sheets of my friend were clean so maybe I just had some bad luck and was it one single mistake..

The breakfast was ok en the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sylvie D
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed here for the second time with 30 students and two other teachers during the recent Ubud Writers and Readers Festival. Probably a little downmarket to what our students are used to, but the only complaint was about the lack of Internet access. Students could quite often be found hanging out in the gazebo that is central to the establishment. Since last year Jalan Bisma has been sealed and more accommodation units built over the river at the end of the lane leading to Jalan Monkey Forest. Breakfast is no longer a la carte, but a buffet affair which is very basic and, as mentioned in previous reviews, just one example of cost cutting. I agree with most other reviewers that the location, garden and views are superb and staff are friendly and helpful but the place needs some serious upgrades. An important feature to note is that this Nick's is totally unsuitable for those who cannot climb stairs.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights after being relocated by Nick's Pension, with whom we made our original booking. This hotel's best features are it's physical buildings and surrounding beauty. The hotel is set about 100 metres from the road with rice fields on both sides of a narrow walkway. It gives a good first impression, and the interior is no different as the buildings are all very pretty with lots of foliage, Hindu statues and stone stairways (this place might not be for you if stairs are an issue as there are several sets). I wouldn't call the accommodations cottages though, and the buildings are all close together. There is a small pool that is quite lovely, with lounge chairs and a gazebo for relaxing.

If this hotel would invest in a few upgrades inside the room, I think I could give them an excellent rating, but unfortunately several things were disapointing once we got inside:

- The locks on the windows are extremely flimsy and some wouldn't even work. It would very very easy for anyone to climb into our room (on the ground floor)
- The bedsheet linen is too small to "tuck in" and is always exposing the mattress, so we ended up sleeping on it more than the linen
- There is only one pillow per person and it is very hard and uncomfortable
- There is no TV, mini fridge or safe (only noted this due to the poor locks on windows)
- Aircon is located too high to reach and no remote was in the room to turn it on. Spent first night without it which was stifflingly hot. There is a ceiling fan, but it is above the bed which has a canopy and totally blocks the fan. To their credit, staff had put one in room following day
- There were only two towels and one bar of soap, and the towels smelled bad. Like they were not washed/ had a mildewy smell
- We originally chose Nick's Pension due to wireless internet in rooms so we could plan more of our vacation. We were told this hotel had wireless in rooms as well but at reception the clerk advised us to try in the restaurant if it didn't work in the rooms. No real surprise then that it didn't work in the rooms, but it also didn't work in the restaurant. We had to use an internet cafe down the road
- There were a ton of ants around the toilet. Literally dozens that crawled all over it, even the seat. I killed most of these myself which seemed to help, but it was gross and this was just after we checked in too.

To sum it up, I liked the location, pool, outside views and ambiance of the hotel but due to several uncomfortable room conditions I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: #202 was a very good location for access to pool and view
Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BanffyBanff
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We had a double room with a fantastic view. The bed was made everyday nd the towels changed. The pool area is nice, although not enough shade. Breakfast is also available; it's ok.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank QwertySouthwestUK
Reviewed January 27, 2012

We were 'dumped' here after Nick's Homestay failed to honour our hostelworld booking. They didn't even offer to provide transport to get us here.

The place is really overpriced. There are clearly some rooms with decent views here; ours was surrounded by walls! The rooms are shocking for what you pay - very very basic and tired set up, and no thought given to providing a kettle and small fridge (generally you can pay these prices in Ubud and these are now standard additions).

The breakfast was nasty - a horrid exercise in cost cutting - the cheapest white bread used, tasteless eggs, young staff coming around with pots of tea and coffee instead of leaving pots on your table.

Avoid the cafe at Nick's Pensions - the worst example of fried rice that, possibly, I've ever seen and tasted in my life!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family