“Gorgeous setting but must try harder”

Nick's Hidden Cottages
Ranked #12 of 592 Ubud B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Gorgeous setting but must try harder”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

This was our second visit to Nick's Hidden Cottages (the first time back in 2009). Much was just as we remembered; beautiful paddyfield location, quiet street (better lit than before), fantastic buildings, divine pool overlooking the valley, basic but tasty breakfasts (fruit, eggs and toast). The setting and architecture of the place is just beautiful.

We stayed in one of the upper rooms, overlooking the pool. We had a double room with AC and stayed for 4 nights. Once again, we enjoyed our stay at Nick's Hidden. However, I feel I have to comment on some basic areas for improvement. Inside the rooms everything looks tired - paint was peeling from one of the walls, the curtains were dirty with mould, the bed sheets thin, the mossie net needed a good wash, towels often smelt musty. This is basic stuff that could be easily remedied, and would make Nick's Hidden go from OK to gorgeous.

Other non-essential things that would be nice; would be good to have a fridge in all the rooms and make sure that the wifi works (it only worked on the final day we were there).

We love the location of Nick's and how beautiful the setting is. However, in its current condition, we couldn't recommend it to friends because some of the most basic things need upgrading to an acceptable standard. This is a shame as we had such a lovely stay before, hence why we returned. With minor improvements this would be a beautiful and great value place to stay in Ubud.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2012

reasonably priced hotel, the location is stunning although off the beaten path, we were backpacking so wasn't really an issue. The hotel is accessible only by crossing the river gulley from central Ubud or by the dirt road from the monkey forest, the hotel then lies across rice paddies with beautiful traditional balinese rooms & a pool, some have views of the lush valley below, we were able to sit out on the porch of our room watching fireflies while using the free wifi which can be accessed in some rooms but not all (the closer to the front desk the better) breakfast is very similar to any you'll enjoy in Indonesia, basic choice but fresh & tasty. Ubud is the only part of the island which received any rain while we were there due to its elevation & location within the rainforest, downfalls are sudden & heavy but it is an excellent base to see other parts of the island with scooter rental being cheap, make sure you know your way around though, many roads are poor & not sign posted though we managed the half day journey to the crater rim of Gunung Batur, also beware of police (corrupt & often target tourists) & local lack of traffic law which seems chaotic & disorganized but I never once saw an accident

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Cairns
Reviewed October 3, 2011

A few of the reviews had us worried but we found this place to be in a beautiful setting and for us being one street back from the main street, up a nice little lane was a bonus. Although there were not a lot of the extras, the service was good, staff very friendly, the bathrooms lovely, the pool area relaxing and quiet. The beds were comfortable and the room quite spacious. There is a small fridge in the room and I think the addition of tea & coffee making facilities would be really good. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The spa across the road, Bhisma, owned by same group was fantastic in the best location.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hillmanstrip
Bathurst, Australia
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I recently stayed here with a friend . We found it to be a little out of the way and part of the road it is on is narrow and not sealed. Its a bit of a walk down to the main road.
There are a lot of steps, especially seeing as our room was way down the bottom and I had to carry my heavy suitcases all the way back up to the lobby. We were only staying for one night anyway so I can't really complain. However I wouldn't choose to stay again . My friend and I covered ourselves head to toe in insect repellent but despite this we were still bitten. The place is rather dated, the bathroom in particular is just weird. It was dirty and the shower drain was full of hair and its open to outside so there was no way of avoiding the mosquito's.
The staff appeared to be friendly and although breakfast was included with our deal we decided to go out for breakfast instead.

Room Tip: definitely try getting a room close to the lobby to avoid carrying the suitcases up multiple flights...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We booked this hotel because the location is brilliant, often stayed at Villa Chempaka across the road but they were booked. Very beautiful hotel with a lot of potential, pretty pool, love JL Bisma but owners obviously are not interested or have no idea. Changed rooms 3 times because of insects, I mean hundreds of bull ants, linen, towels, sheets, very very musty, to the point we had to cover pillows with our tshirts, curtains practicularly falling off rods so worn out, we were scared to untie them. The whole place needs a good scrub and upkeep - I wish I had the finances to buy this property because the opportunity astounds me! Shame but I wouldnt recommend this property until they were serious in wanting to accept guests.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank balialways
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2011

what we like from nick's hidden is the location real hidden in jalan bisma, ubud. if you're fancy to hear the farmers are doing their crops, birds singing, padi rice fields and walk along the paths, this is one of the answer. and by short-cut unsealed road, voila ... you can get monkey forest wanara wana and some ubud's cafes and resto easier compared to take the main road, jalan raya ubud. so far, this is our most favourite stay in ubud.

Room Tip: rent a bike if lazy to walking back hotel
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Essen, Germany
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Overall i didn't really enjoy my stay at Nick's hidden cottages. I booked Nick's homestay as so many did, but even though I had read about their being-overbooked-problem on trip advisor beforehand and tried everything to avoid this from happening to me as well, it nevertheless DID happen to me. I reached Nick's Homestay on the afternoon of the balinese new year, so the staff was distracted anyway. When they told me they 'd shift me to Nick's Pension (which I had read I definitely should NOT go to) I refused and after a long argument (in which they wanted to throw me out entirely but couldn't because I had booked online and already made the deposit) they agreed on shifting me to Nick''s Hidden cottages for the same rate.
The hostel itself is located a bit out of town but still within walking distance. I suppose for a hostel the facilities are quite nice. There's even a pool (which at least looked nice). After all the arguing I couldn't quite appreciate it though. The wifi (which was supposed to be for free and working) didn't work during my entire stay, so I had to use it while I was in town (i.e. Starbucks). As I was staying at the hostel on "quiet day" where nobody is allowed to leave the hotel and where nothing really works as usual, I tried to check if they would serve any meals on the next day. they assured me they would so I wouldn't need to buy food myself. I'm really glad I did anyway, because as it turned out: they didn't, only if you had preordered it the day before, which they of course hadn't told me. When I went back to my room I found out that I was sharing my bathroom with an enormous cockroach. This, in addition to the dirty bed linen, pillow cases and towels (which all looked as if either someone had bled out on them or swiped the floor with it) and all the trouble with the staff kind of was enough for my taste.
In all fairness I have to say, that I met a group of people who were staying there as well and who were quite satisfied and really liked the place. They didn't have any cockroaches either, even though the dirty towels and pillow cases seem to be an existing problem. So either don't go there or bring your own pillowcase (which luckily I did).
The brakfast was quite ok for a hostel. You're given a choice of either panckaes or eggs with toast alongside a plate of fresh fruit and coffee or tea. And yes, the first impression of the complex is nice, as the garden is quite pretty.
So I wouldn't rule out that it was only my impression/stay that turned out to be quite bad,but I personally wouldn't go there again as there probably are better choices around the area.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo