“nice and secluded”

Ranked #10 of 542 Ubud B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“nice and secluded”
Reviewed June 28, 2011

what we like from nick's hidden is the location real hidden in jalan bisma, ubud. if you're fancy to hear the farmers are doing their crops, birds singing, padi rice fields and walk along the paths, this is one of the answer. and by short-cut unsealed road, voila ... you can get monkey forest wanara wana and some ubud's cafes and resto easier compared to take the main road, jalan raya ubud. so far, this is our most favourite stay in ubud.

Room Tip: rent a bike if lazy to walking back hotel
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Essen, Germany
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Overall i didn't really enjoy my stay at Nick's hidden cottages. I booked Nick's homestay as so many did, but even though I had read about their being-overbooked-problem on trip advisor beforehand and tried everything to avoid this from happening to me as well, it nevertheless DID happen to me. I reached Nick's Homestay on the afternoon of the balinese new year, so the staff was distracted anyway. When they told me they 'd shift me to Nick's Pension (which I had read I definitely should NOT go to) I refused and after a long argument (in which they wanted to throw me out entirely but couldn't because I had booked online and already made the deposit) they agreed on shifting me to Nick''s Hidden cottages for the same rate.
The hostel itself is located a bit out of town but still within walking distance. I suppose for a hostel the facilities are quite nice. There's even a pool (which at least looked nice). After all the arguing I couldn't quite appreciate it though. The wifi (which was supposed to be for free and working) didn't work during my entire stay, so I had to use it while I was in town (i.e. Starbucks). As I was staying at the hostel on "quiet day" where nobody is allowed to leave the hotel and where nothing really works as usual, I tried to check if they would serve any meals on the next day. they assured me they would so I wouldn't need to buy food myself. I'm really glad I did anyway, because as it turned out: they didn't, only if you had preordered it the day before, which they of course hadn't told me. When I went back to my room I found out that I was sharing my bathroom with an enormous cockroach. This, in addition to the dirty bed linen, pillow cases and towels (which all looked as if either someone had bled out on them or swiped the floor with it) and all the trouble with the staff kind of was enough for my taste.
In all fairness I have to say, that I met a group of people who were staying there as well and who were quite satisfied and really liked the place. They didn't have any cockroaches either, even though the dirty towels and pillow cases seem to be an existing problem. So either don't go there or bring your own pillowcase (which luckily I did).
The brakfast was quite ok for a hostel. You're given a choice of either panckaes or eggs with toast alongside a plate of fresh fruit and coffee or tea. And yes, the first impression of the complex is nice, as the garden is quite pretty.
So I wouldn't rule out that it was only my impression/stay that turned out to be quite bad,but I personally wouldn't go there again as there probably are better choices around the area.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Serendipiti
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 3, 2011

The hotel is located in Jalan Bisma road, a 8-10 minutes-walk away from the main road and life of Ubud. The street is quite dark at night, although it's not scary at all, you just need to watch your step at certain points.

The layout of the hotel is quite nice, you enter though the lobby and then go dowstairs to the restaurant (just open for breakfast, included) "bungalow-like" rooms and then the swimming pool, that overlooks some rice terraces.

The staff is really nice and helpful, and they speak English.

The rooms are nice, although not very clean. Nothing too bad, but bith the rooms and the bathroom could definitely be cleaner. They have nice balconies and the A/C works fine.

The shortest way to reach the monkey forest road is though Nick's Pension (Nick's has a small 3-hotels empire in Ubud).

I would recommend the hotel if you're not too picky with cleanness, you're looking for a place to rest (the pool is really nice and calm) and you don't mind walking a few minutes to get to the city center.

Bear in mind that Ubud is not as cheap as other cities in Bali, specially for souvenirs/crafts. So if you find things elsewhere, don't wait until you get there, because you'll pay for it!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jutrip
England
Reviewed January 4, 2011

This is a great place to stay in Ubud if you like something a little different. The cottages are about a 10 minute walk from the main road and if you take a right the dirt track leads to a short cut the Monkey Forest. Set back from the road, you wind yourself down a narrow path through a rice paddy.

The place looks like a lost temple, something you might imagine Indiana Jones exploring. It’s damp and moss grows in every corner. Towards the back of the property is the small swimming pool which overlooks a forest valley. At night we sat on our porch which overlooked the valley, watching the fireflies and swooping bats. Every morning one of the ladies brought incense and offerings to lay outside each room, which was lovely.

So it’s a five out of five for location. What does let it down though, is the rooms which are basic, very dark and smell of damp. The bed covers and curtains looked like they hadn’t been washed for some time. I usually stay in budget hotels, which is fine as long as they are clean, which this was not. It needs an overhaul to say the least. The fridge wasn’t working and smelt of sour milk and the bathroom gave me the creeps.

Breakfast was basic and there is no restaurant or room service. There is free wifi access which you can arrange from reception.

Despite all that I probably would stay here again, purely on location alone. Sometimes it’s worth the compromise!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank clouds111
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Not clean, nice setting in ride fields which can't be seen from rooms. Pool central so everyone wakes up when people go for a swim. Booked through internet for around 45 eur. Have seen much better for this price. The bhisma spa opposite the road is very great!

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank dopeias
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 23, 2010

After 5 days in Seminyak we visited Ubud to stay in Nicks Cottages. Location of the Cottages was good, around a 10 minute walk to the centre of Ubud and to the market.

The cottages and surrounding area is very pretty to look at but the standard inside isnt very high. The place has a damp smell to it, bathroom is very dark, dingy and smelly with no proper shower and unclean bath.

There is no entertainment system in the room TV etc. Breakfast was standard with the choice of eggs and toast or some fruits, with the odd creature floating in the tea...The service was average, there is no restaurant on site, so if you want to eat in they send the food from their sister hotel the pensions which has an on site restaurant.

Overall Ubud is very pretty but for the price of nicks cottages i would expect higher cleanliness standards as the cleaners only really walk around with a brush in your room and make the bed.

I wouldnt personally stay here again, we wanted to get out of the room asap and move on.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Cumbria, UK
Reviewed November 11, 2010

We stayed here for just over a week and really enjoyed it. Ubud is pretty hectic but the hidden cottages are not - they have a nice relaxed ambience and the small pool area is delightful. Some of the facility listings are a bit iffy - there was no fridge in our room and when we asked for it we were told there were only a few for the whole place. The wifi is painfully slow but that's about par for Bali really. There were lots of good things - nice big room, plenty of hot water, very pleasant staff and, above all, the location - you're only one road removed from Monkey Forest (10 mins walk) but you feel secluded and sheltered here. Hot sticky days wandering round Ubud were quickly washed off in the lovely pool.
This place is about 200 yards down the road from Nick's Pension - and it feels like an outpost of it. Other than the breakfast, no food is prepared on the premises - if you order anything during the day, they phone it up to the pension and it appears 30 mins later in takeaway containers. Which is all fine - but when you can't get a beer or juice or whatever in a hotel pretty much instantly, it's a bit odd.
In summary, it's a lovely place to stay but I think Nick should be trying a bit harder here - a few more fridges, some fruit, a juicer, a well stocked bar - all of these would lift the place a bit.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple