“A lovely, charming place to stay in Ubud!”
Review of Nick's Homestay

Nick's Homestay
Ranked #171 of 543 Ubud B&B and Inns
Stockholm
“A lovely, charming place to stay in Ubud!”
Reviewed March 13, 2010

I can highly recommened staying at this budget accomodation in Ubud. It is really good value for your money. I stayed there for 3 nights and just loved it. It was really very charming since you are actually staying in a family compound.

The room was very basic and so was the en suite bathroom, but it was nice and cleaned every day and nothing to complain about. The walls are very thin so you do hear your neighbours talking, coughing etc, but that was not a problem. There are no glassed windows, only mosquito nets covering them, so life outside in the garden is heard from the room. That wasn't a problem either though. Use earplugs and you will be fine.

The garden outside the room is just lovely with all these tropical trees and flowers and you get your breakfast (which is included in the price) served on your little private veranda. Breakfast is great with tea/coffee, fruitsalad and bananapakes or the like.

I used the pickup service from the airport and got a very nice and reliable driver who also took me to my next destination via a lot of sights on the way.

Location is very good. It is probably a 10-15 minutes walk from Monkey Forest Road, but that was not a problem. Jl Hanoman, the street where it is located, is very nice with a lot of shops and some good restaurants and cafees.

I would really recommened you staying at Nicks Home stay and I will definately stay there again if I every go back to Ubud.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank JuliaStockholm

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Penang
Reviewed March 4, 2010

If you are looking for simple and cheap homestay at Ubud. Nick is the your best choice.
- Friendly reception have provided the useful info for my backpacking trip, it save my time on unnecessery route and also give us the alternative tour package in a reasonable price. Mt Batur hiking tour is the tour we book through the homestay. The price is relatively cheap compare with other tour agency.
- The night is not hot although there is only fan. There is some mosquito, you may get the mosquito killer from reception.
- Nick's homestay is near to the famous food is Ubud, Bebek Bengil and also the ARMA muzeum.
- The breakfast served was different on every day, I only try once on sat, which is Banana Pancake and also fruit plate.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ting_1784
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 22, 2009

Beautiful grounds and very handy. Noise from neighbouring rooms can be a bit off putting, as can very worn bed linen.

Pretty much what I expected for the price

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank barb_philip
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I say basic but it is all you need and the value is second to none. The family that live there are very friendly and it is lovely staying in that sort of atmosphere. It is in a very good location in the middle of town but we did find it difficult to spot at first. Breakfasts were simple and tasty. Nik owns 3 places in Ubud and if you are staying at the Homestay you can use the pool at Niks Pension. We did stay at Niks Pension for one night aswell but prefer the Homestay for the more personal service and price.

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TripyTripster
Reviewed July 14, 2009

My first impression of Nick's Homestay was a homely family compound, well-trimmed landscape, lots of greenery, quite rustic, peaceful and cozy. For the price you pay, the room was small with two bed made of rattan and looks rather stuffy but it's not. The bedding was clean but old. There are two ways to shower; shower hose or the bucket-styled, either way, our room had no hot water. As Ubud is relatively colder than Kuta because of the nearby mountain range, the fan is quite sufficient for the night sleep that in fact, in the morning, we felt kinda cold. There is power adapter, and a basin outside of toilet to clean up. Closet and writing table have aged considerably to give you a rustic and vintage feel. It is quite fun and lovely to have stayed here as how "homestay" should be. In the morning, there are a lot of hustle and bustle of a family routine from rooster cuckooing, birds singing, clothes washing and people walking on the pathway at their own pace. Life is slow here if you come from big cities. Breakfast is served when you're ready and you'd be treated with local fruits and local vegetarian (and often freshly made and organic) breakfast dish with Balinese coffee. And off you go to your next itinerary of the day.

My friend and I enjoyed our first night when the room next door was vacant. The next day, it was took up by two aging ladies who smoked, talked and laughed non-stop throughout the night. Never mind the air was polluted by cigarette smoke but even after lowering down their voices, we could still hear them. I'd imagine it'd be worse if the neighbours next door are more active on the bed. So that's the downside of it. If you're a person who relies on modern conveniences like a mini-fridge or water cooker or TV, there are none. It's a no-frills, inexpensive accommodation for the sole purpose of having a clean (bug-free) bed and a good night sleep.

On a side note, it's only 5 minutes away from Bebek Bengil Restaurant, a well-known restaurant for its crispy duck dish and local culinary delights. On top of it, there are lots of shops selling trinkets and stuffs that are worth checking out.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank popcornie
East
Reviewed November 21, 2008

This homestay is a brief 5 mins walk from the Perama bus station in Ubud. Located in the nice and quiet part of Ubud, the 'central market' is only a 15/20 mins walk away.

Rooms and sheets are clean but blanket felt a tad old. No A/C but there was an overhead fan in the room. Unfortunately not quite powerful enough during the day and early parts of the evening. There are no partition/curtains in the shower area and the bathroom will be wet if you take a shower. Hot Water is available.

In generally, the owner/family of this home-stay is quiet by 10pm but from 5am, there is gradual increase in noise of animals (dogs/chickens/birds) and people doing chores. For me, it was not that bothersome that I could not doze off again.

But I was more bothered that I could easily hear any noise (talking, snoring, toilet flush, brushing of teeth) from my next door neighbour.

Breakfast is adequate with tea, fruits and bread. There is plenty of cheap and good food in Ubud so a simple breakfast is desired.

Overall, a clean and friendly environment and good value for money. It was an interesting stay.

Incidentally, many homestays within the same price range (less than $100k Rupiah) are located within 50m of the same place.

• Liked — Good Value and Good Location
  • Disliked — You can easily hear your neighbours
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Audi268
philippines
Reviewed June 1, 2008

A Trip to Bali

BY SUSANA CALALAY-YNIGUEZ

November 2007

It was Bali or bust for my friend Bernarda and me! After we eagerly packed for our ten-day stay, we decided to find lodgings in Ubud (about 45 minutes ride from Denpasar Airport) after we were told it was the center of art activity in Bali. Kuta was more for beachcombers who love to party and stay out late nights. Ubud as we discovered was more for the laidback crowd.

The Bali landscape proved interesting, to say the least. No vacant expanse of land is left idle as all of them are utilized as rice fields that add to the monochromatic shades of the green that cover the vista. Houses are a combination of terracotta, cement and wood. Ubud, where we stayed, is a busy art community.

Since the natives are of Malay origin with their Bahasa dialect having many Filipino words, it wasn’t long before we settled and felt at home with the budget accommodations we reserved through the Internet. Nick’s Home Stay is clean and comfortable for $10/night. The rate includes a healthy breakfast of tea or coffee with fresh fruits and buttered bread. This was for a room with two beds, toilet and bath with hot water in a duplex cottage setting. I discovered that ‘home stay’ meant staying within the family compound. Every compound contains a family temple at every entrance and endowed with lovely well-tended gardens at the center.

Like the rest of Bali, each compound is a beehive of some kind of family enterprise -- it could be a batik shop, ikat weaving, silver making, cloth dyeing or a restaurant. It is common for a family compound to function as a “home stay” -- like the place where we stayed.

We easily blended into the family set-up especially when my knees became sore on the first day after a long walk. A fall sustained before I left Manila apparently damaged my kneecap making it swell. Concerned about my condition, Yande, the owner’s son and the manager of Nick’s Group of Cottages, called a hilot to tend to me right away. With my knee steeped in BenGay overnight and wrapped in proper bandages, we ventured into town the next day with me using a make-shift bed post as a cane (tungkad it’s called). When Mr. Nick, the owner of Nick’s Cottages, saw this, he immediately sent me a decent cane made of coconut wood which I used—ala Bianca Jagger --- till the end of our stay. One thing I discovered -- the terrain in Bali is not friendly to people with walking difficulties. Seemingly endless stairs by the mountain’s edge brought one to scenic sites and comfort rooms were always a floor above or below where the main activity was taking place.

During our first night in Ubud we were curious participants of a film showing-cum-dinner of organic food hosted by the BaliSpirit Restaurant. This was a preview of a documentary by adventurer Laurence Blair entitled “Myths, Magic and Monsters” soon to be shown on Animal Planet Channel.

His previous work on volcanoes called the “Ring of Fire” was shown on Discovery Channel. People sat around on the wide yoga floor as he explained the efforts that went into the making of the film. He held captive a group of expats that seemed, to me at least, to dominate that kind of community set-up.

Other evenings we spent watching stage performances at the Royal Palace that showed excerpts from Ramayana and Mahabharata tale. Here they danced their traditional Legong or their Ke Cak dance, a show of dancing men screaming ‘kechak’ in rhythm from beginning to end.

Every other morning, we took short visits to the neighboring villages of Ubud. This came as a welcome relief for me because it meant riding and not putting pressure on my knee. We would rent a car from Nick’s Pension- a more upscale version of their Home Stay. Car rentals vary from 200-300 Rupiah (P500/100,000) depending on how long the trip would take. Everything in Ubud is negotiable- even taxi fares. Our first visit was to Celok -the silver smithing district. The small shops turned out to offer better buys for tourists than the big factories where bargaining can be tedious and unpleasant.

Worth seeing is the Gunung Batur Volcano known for its beautiful sunrise. The younger set would dare trek in the early morning just to catch the sunrise. Beside it is a lake that mirrors this morning event. It’s a tourist restaurant set in a ridge just like Tagaytay if you want to linger and eat lunch. I would suggest that you go to the smaller restaurants near the periphery of this site where the same view is offered for a less costly meal. Better yet, come early so you can leave before lunch. The vendors along the way can be irritating.

One interesting sidelight was when we visited the different 5-star accommodations that had been featured in design books. Among them are the Four Season’s Resort, Amandari Resort, Royal Pita Maha Resort and the Como Shambala Estate where the basic attraction is the natural breathtaking view of the mountain enhanced by the sprawling architecture. All worthy of the fee they charge (range of $500-$2000 plus a day) depending on the quality of services rendered. A spa may offer yoga, ayurvedic medicine consultation and individual cleansing program. The comfort of Paradise is indeed costly these days.

For us, Nick’s Home Stay became our Paradise. Here we heard the birds chirping and children’s laughter in the yard every morning, their cries during baths and the occasional giggle of your neighbor in the adjoining room at night. Geckos croak nightly in staccato rhythm that lull one to sleep. Breakfast was served at a small patio facing the other duplex rooms

In between our sightseeing days, we looked into courses offered for half a day. Among them were Batik Making, Balinese Cooking, Balinese Dancing and Silver Jewelry making. We opted to try the silver jewelry class. So there we were --- grinding, drilling and heating silver for half a day. I was happy with the fish pendant I designed myself while Bernarda did her interpretation of the kalachuchi flower.

If you like art, museums and galleries abound everywhere. Check the Blanco Museum at Raya Ubud St.- very interesting, or the Arman Museum in Pengosekan Road for contemporary and traditional art, or the Neka Museum in Sanggingan Road.

Excellent cuisine is found everywhere. Many foreigners who own restaurants offer a fusion of culinary delights bringing together certain native dishes and the sophisticated European cuisine. This successful venture has made regular restaurants (Warung) infinitely interesting. Their local version of our lechon is called Babi Guleng but our version appears more sinfully appetizing. To die for is the Bebek Betutu. The best we tried was at Nick’s Pension. We had to order it a day before and it came with some chopped vegetables of beans and spiced kamansi.

The duck dish wrapped in native leaves was cooked slowly for about 8 hours and buried in the embers of rice husks. It was delicately spiced and melted in our mouths. The joints of the feet crumble as you suck on it. This goodbye meal served before we left proved befitting of fanfare. I wanted to pack what was left after dinner but I was too embarrassed to ask so I just ate till satiated. It was not cheap but well worth it.

If you do decide one day to take a trip to Ubud, Bali do not hesitate to get in touch with Yande Budiyasa, manager of Nick’s Homestay. He can be reached though his email yande@nickshotels-ubud.com or call [--]. You have a choice to stay at the Homestay or may want to check out Nick’s Pension or Hidden Cottages if you are traveling with your family. The pension offers more amenities than the Homestay. There is a pool, access to the Internet and room service. For trips to the outskirts, everything can be arranged and negotiated --- that’s Bali for you.

Forget TV if you are vacationing in Bali. Instead immerse yourself in the culture. You can even join temple celebrations provided you wear the right attire. We did and it was fun.

11 Thank babushka60