Nick's Homestay
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Free Internet
View Hotel
All reviewscaged birdsmonkey foresteach morningrestaurants and shopsthe main streetnicksnoisepetsdrillingtransportensuitebungalow
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My mother and I had booked into Nick's Homestay in February 2013. We had had a full day and were hot and looking forward to a shower.

I had booked and received confirmation for a twin room. When we arrived however, we were told that there were no twin rooms available so we had been given a double room.

Okaaaay, so we checked out our room which was right down the back in the furthest possible and tightest corner. The room looked fine, but no air conditioning, ceiling fan only. This would have been okay if we could have had a shower but the bathroom was appallingly dirty. It was so bad that we went to the supermarket to buy some cleaning products so that we could clean it.

On our way back we looked in at another guesthouse and for $7 more a night we got air con, dressing room and a clean bathroom. So we went back to Nick's and checked out and moved around the corner. I left the cleaning products there for them.

So because we didn't actually stay there I can't really make a fair overall rating.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Barbara M
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Breakfast: wake up in the morning, tell one of the staff you want breakfast they might speak weird sound of english but actually they mean, "stay at your room, I'll bring for you". but the thing is im not a fan of banana. cz mostly they served banana in everyfood they served.

bedroom: bed was nice, really comfy. romantic. toilet is perfectly clean. but the wall was too thin till a girl next room asked us too slow down our voices. 5 am in the morning, you probably get annoyed by roaster sounds and bird at 7am. I wasn't annoyed by them but some people does.

landscape: the staff have done really nice job to maintaining cleanliness and beauty of their garden. the first tie i came i to check out i was happy already. oh yeah, and also you will never hear the sound of vehicle outside! cool!

pets: they have few birds(they can talk, but the same words i guess) a firendly dog (which he will greet you in the morning by come at you when you are having breakfast. he will leave if you dont play with him)

I love this place i dont mind the noises from nature. oh yeah you also can rent a motorcycle from them only 50k a day.

Room Tip: try room number 4.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Catching up on reviews, so do note that I was actually here in Sept 2011. Hoping Trip Advisor lets me post the late review!

I paid for a single en suite room, or something along those lines, which landed me a in HUGE room with two twin beds and a recently renovated bathroom. It was nothing special, but clean and cozy. The bathroom did smell a bit musty at times as it was not well ventilated.

I loved, loved, loved eating breakfast on my terrace, and would amble out there early each morning. I'd just catch the eye of one of the friendly waiter-types, and he'd bring it out quickly. I did seem to receive exactly the same thing each morning, despite the sign at the front desk suggesting otherwise, but oh, well.

I found the front desk service just OK. Listen, it's a budget place, and not luxury. There's no milk for tea, not even the dry creamer I only appreciate when in Asia. But it's so well located, and I felt completely comfortable here as a female solo traveler.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank JlsNYC
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The accommodation was simple, but clean and for the price we didn't expect much luxury. It's in the middle of Ubud and thus the perfect location. Everything in Ubud can be easily reached by foot.

The staff was nice and quiet. They offered us transportation and ideas for day trips in and around Ubud when we asked. You have to ask, they don't just provide and offer service you didn't ask for. That's totally okay for me.

The rooms are not sound-proof at all so go to bed early in order not distract your neighbors. Also in the morning you'll be woken up by chickens, insects, birds and other animal noise. This can be lovely when you went to bed early, it can be horrible when you planned to sleep in. However that's all you gonna hear, there's absolutely no noise from the streets or the neighboring properties. The bed was super comfortable.

The breakfast was good and there was always tea on our front porch. After the fourth day however it gets old: There is not a lot of variation.

There is a pool on Nick's Pension which you can use for free. Ask the staff how to get there. It's a couple of minutes by foot.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Nick's Homestay in July 2012. We loved our bungalow room. We arrived earlier than check in time but since our room was already cleaned we got into our room right away. It was a quiet refuge from the busy Ubud streets. I loved being served breakfast on the front porch. The tea and fresh fruit salad was delicious.The room was clean and comfortable. I was sad to leave this place and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple