“Relaxing and Pleasant Stay”

Taman Rahasia Tropical Sanctuary & Spa
Ranked #106 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
Rome
“Relaxing and Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed September 18, 2009

I stayed for three nights here and had a very pleasant stay overall. This is a small boutique hotel with a limited number of rooms. I stayed in one of the simpler rooms and it was very spacious and had a balcony overlooking the grounds including the pool area. Large double bed which was very comfortable. Overall the grounds were exceptionally beautiful. The staff exhibited traditional Balinese hospitality. They were always prompt and exceptionally kind. I ate a few meals there and they were very good. There was a choice for breakfast and I had the french toast topped with fried banana and it was quite good. The banana juice/shake in mid-afternoon was quite refreshing. They also offered tea from 3-5 pm which was a nice touch. Each day I took the free shuttle van to the center of Ubud and walked around, shopping and having lunch. Then, I would walk back to the hotel. It was about a 30 minute walk (perhaps longer but it did not seem long) along a picturesque path with rice paddies, houses, temples along the way. On the way back, there is a pleasant little cafe to stop and relax at (right next to the walkway or path). I used the pool a couple of times and it is well cared for and very refreshing and pleasant around the pool area. The dining/lounge area is open and adjoins the pool area (trees between) and is nicely appointed and cared for. Overall, it was a pleasant stay. Only negative was the lack of Internet access for the price of the hotel (the first night I was in Bali, I stayed at another hotel on the otherside of Ubud for less cost with as pleasant a room and surroundings plus free Internet access. For this trip, I did not mind the lack of Internet access (I wanted to rest) but it would have been nice to dash off an email message or two to family and friends (which I did from my iPhone in Ubud where most cafe or bars provide free Internet access). They did not even provide access at a central computer. The transportation which is booked through the hotel is also higher priced than can be booked on your own. Of course, prices are not high in Bali but still the cost of transportation to the airport was at least $15-20 more than I payed to get to the hotel. You can probably get less expensive accommodations but the small size and pleasant accommodations were worth it. I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
4 Thank James H

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Czech first
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed September 1, 2009

We booked at Taman Rahasia based on tripadvisor reviews and it was the best choice we could make. Just imagine a beautifully landscaped place, very quiet, delicious cheap food, best spa you can get etc. The room was great, with a huge terrace and a very large open bathroom..The decorations in the room were very nice, every morning tea or coffee can be served on the terrace..Is is truly a hidden gem..The staff is great, very helpful and always smiling..Just wanted to share with you this great experience, I wished we could have stayed longer, 4 days are just not enough..Ubud is 20 minutes walking distance following a nice green path and taxis are cheap and available all the time..

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ChristineValmy
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 9, 2009

I agree with other reviews that this is a peaceful and lovely place to stay. Truly a place to decompress and relax. The owners and staff are very gracious and helpful. Food is delicious. It's also a great area to shop for art, since it's in the young artist's colony. But also since there aren't loads of tourists around. I felt that I got better deals than in other parts of Ubud. The only downside is that the hotel is not really within walking distance of the downtown area. But the free daily shuttle and cheap taxis make up for it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
ontario
Reviewed February 2, 2009

We really enjoyed our stay at Taman Rahasia. The grounds of the hotel are beautifully landscaped. Our room was gorgeous. The staff were extremely kind and helpful. The food was excellent. It was so peaceful and relaxing.

• Liked — Peace & quiet
  • Disliked — 1/2 hour walk from central Ubud, but that's just minor.
  • Stayed January 2009
1 Thank muddypuppy
Auckland
Reviewed January 11, 2009

We stayed at this lovely quiet and picturesque hotel the last two weeks of December 2008. On arrival after a long flight we found that the Taman Rahasia far exceeded our expectations. Here we managed to escape from the stresses of our working life i.e no telephones, televisions, computers, or newspapers.

We had to try out the spa facilities at the hotel. This then caused us the problem of disciplining ourselves to a massage *treat* every two days. I tried all the massages in the brochure. The massage therapists are highly trained and the best I have come across. So it not suprising that guests from other hotels came and booked the spa out. Traditional Balinese massage is not for the faint hearted. I lovely to be all to stroll back to ones room after a massage and be served ginger tea with fresh tropical fruit.

Many of the staff at Taman Rahasia are connected to the land here. We cannot speak more highly of all the staff, from the gardeners to the owner. They have and take great pride in "their" hotel and our comfort was their first priority. Unlike other hotels the staff here are not on the make, others guests also made this comment.

This was our third visit to Bali since 2001. Situated in the small village of Penestanan Taman Rahasia is a spacious, quiet and intimate hotel with a strong Balinese atmosphere and the goings on of village life. Indeed is a Secret Garden. Annamairi

• Liked — The whole thing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Annamairi
Boston, MA
Reviewed December 29, 2008

I'm new to TripAdvisor so this review is based on my experience 12 months ago in November 2007. But I have to put in a good word for this hotel, Taman Rahasia in Penestenan Kaja near Ubud, Bali.

My partner and I stayed here for a week and were treated amazingly. The staff is small and extremely friendly. The room was very large with a four poster canopy bed, sitting area, fridge and large freestanding cabinet / closet. The bathroom was "out back" and was literally outside. It was also very large and had nice tropical plants around the edges and a very high wall for privacy.

The room service items were delicious and inexpensive and the breakfast was tasty every day. We met the manager, an American woman, who was really friendly and gave us good information. The hotel is perfectly situated about a 25 minute walk outside of Ubud. There are a couple of small restaurants on the path between the hotel and the Tjampuhan steps that we pretty much ate at every night.

Again, this review is based on my experience a year ago. Hopefully the place has only gotten better. I HIGHLY recommend it and would be happy to share other information about it to anyone.

• Liked — The "secret" location, and the staff
  • Disliked — Everything was perfect
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple