“Bali's Secret Garden is a little bit of paradise”

Taman Rahasia Tropical Sanctuary & Spa
Ranked #110 of 200 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Taman Rahasia means Secret Garden and that is just what this boutique hotel is- a GEM in more ways than one!!! The rooms, the grounds, the staff, the chef...look no further. This place is IT! The location is a 5 minute scooter ride into Ubud or an easy 20 minute walk. Owned and operated by a Balinese family and Canadian husband, the attention to detail is evident. The rooms are clean and spacious. The pool area is beautiful. Make sure you schedule a massage with Darsa, a true healer! And the topping on the cake is the restaurant right on property- a bit of a luxury when renting. There's a full breakfast, lunch and dinner menu that is simply DELICIOUS! We stayed over 2 weeks and averaged at least 1 meal a day there. Kadek is an AMAZING chef, training in both Bali and the United States! We return to Taman Rahasia each summer and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else! If you want a cozy, quiet Balinese experience look no further than Taman Rahasia!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are the best. The bathroom will blow your mind! Intimate hotel, 4 rooms, You can't...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Linda L

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I stayed here for two nights and found the hotel to be a great place to relax. The rooms are nice and tidy and our room had a huge terrace to relax on after a busy day. The staff is really friendly and helpful. It is placed a bit outside of the busiest streets of Ubud, and it takes about 20 minutes to walk to Ubud Marked, but you can walk that far..! Or, if you're lazy you can rent scooters right outside.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Taman Rahasia is a small family owned and run hotel in the village of Penestanan just a short walk from Ubud. This is where we stayed with our friend for ten days in June this year. We wanted a place that was peaceful, quiet, relaxing and to be able to share and experience the intimacy of Balinese family and village life. Taman Rahasia certainly did not disappoint.
Taman Rahasia was full of suprises. The manager, Made, did her two year training as a massage therapist and tutor in the USA, is also a superb cook who studied cooking at the Culinary Arts School in Santa Barbara. Made would treat us to freshly baked banana and mango cake, fresh coconut drinks. When we ate in for dinner nothing was ever too much trouble. Made’s husband is keen on coffee and would get us to test his many coffee brews. The one that impressed us most was the cold overnight coffee brew. Made’s father, Pak Darsa is a very good Balinese cook and invited us to share a Balinese meal on the of our day departure.
Pak Darsa is also a brilliant Balinese massage therapist, although not for the faint hearted. The spa is lovely and we all indulged in massages almost every day.
I could go on and on about what a lovely relaxing time we had. We really enjoyed our time at Taman Rahasia and fully recommend Taman Rahasia as peaceful intimate family hotel.

Room Tip: All great rooms
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Annamairi
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here at the start of a 2 month trip and it was absolutely blissful. The pool is amazing, the staff are so so helpful and it is the perfect place to relax. We loved the breakfast and our room was enormous with such a lovely bathroom!

Thank you so much for a lovely stay!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We had a very relaxing stay at Taman Rahasia! First and foremost the staff were very friendly at all times, it felt very homely staying there. The gardens surrounding the house are beautiful and the rooms are huge and comfortable. The massages were great too! It is a bit further out of town, but therefore also more quiet, they can arrange a taxi to go in and out of town.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carmen F
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We are staying here now as i speak and yes the owners have just done some renovations and it is still a really peaceful, beautiful tropical sanctuary away from it all with a lovely new pool. The room we have and verandah is very large and it is a peaceful retreat for us ( we are the only guests here). I sit on this verandah at night and can only hear the sound of the frogs and the little stream. I am really glad I chose to stay at Taman Rahasia now that I have seen the massive pace of development in Ubud town itself because I was shocked to see how tourism has changed the Ubud I remember of 20 years ago with all the shops, crowds of tourists etc. and felt so relieved that I was staying in the quiet and more traditional village of Panestanan Kaja.
In my opinion Panestanan is a much nicer place to stay without the tourists, you can walk into the village where there are a few stalls selling batiks and jewellery and nice caves like Cafe Vespa with healthy food. Along the very pretty path through the forest into town are art galleries, small resorts and picturesque cafes like Lily and Lala, where we went for dinner. If you go out the back gate of your villa (ask the staff here) you will walk out onto the (last remaining?) rice paddies before they disappear altogether.
The breakfast is great too - banana crepes and Bali coffee or the usual eggs and toast if you prefer plus fresh juices. The spa experience here was good too where I had an excellent Reflexology session from the owner Made, who is trained in many natural therapies.
If you don't want to walk into town then ask the hotel to call you a taxi and pay about 50,000 Rp ($5 AUD)
If you want to get away from it all and avoid touristy areas then I recommend this location, however if you want more convenience and to be close to all the restaurants then stay in Ubud.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank linzilu
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This hotel was recommended to me by a friend who enjoyed relaxing days by the pool and enjoyed the luscious gardens.

Sadly the hotel he stayed at is no longer.

The owners have had a dispute about land with their neighbours and the beautiful pool has now been drained and 4 rooms have been emptied.

I arrived and instantly saw that the pool was emptied - so did my driver who asked what had happened. We were reassured that there was another new pool on the other side of the hotel. This is correct, there is a brand new much smaller pool which was surrounded by mud, 4 workmen, and lots of noise. Not very inviting! The dinning room also looked over the now emptied swimming pool. A very sad sight.

The room itself was large, with a beautiful seating area to eat breakfast and an outdoor bathroom. It felt welcoming if not a little dated. - Bathroom fixtures were old, shower didn't work properly and the mozzie net was covered in holes. But these are small details that could be over looked, an empty pool and lots of building work could not be.

The breakfast was good and the staff were friendly.

The family seemed sweet and did listen to my complaints. And did in fact refund 50% of my money. I didn't particularly want to stay as it doesn't seem like it is currently operating as a hotel, butin the middle of a major upheaval, but as I had booked with Agoda and had already paid I felt there was no choice.

I'm sure this place will once again be a nice place to stay but I would avoid it for the next few weeks. They now only have 4 rooms instead of 8 and a small, not particularly restful swimming pool that is far too deep for children. It is no longer a hotel and spa, more of a guest house and their prices should now reflect this. $120 a night was frankly a rip off. I stayed two nights under duress.

I have sympathy with the family and the changes that have been forced upon them, but I felt they could have been honest with me. They should have emailed me before had to explain the situation and I should have been given the option to stay elsewhere as really it not fit for guests in its current state.

Also their website should be changed and they should update the photos on TA as this is not a true portrayal of their accommodation.

I stayed the previous night in Mawa house and I regretted not staying there for the duration of my trip. I felt like Taman Rahasia were being greedy trying to make money from their guests when the place is in no fit state to host.

A sad situation and a place to avoid for the next few weeks.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank bustermove
TRTS, Manager at Taman Rahasia Tropical Sanctuary & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

The management at Taman Rahasia feel that a response to this review is
appropriate. The details are that a portion of the property was sold. This was not
expected and caught us completely unprepared. As a result we had to build a new
swimming pool and renovate our dining area. We have worked very hard to make these
renovations as quick as possible. Our mistake was to not contact the guest ahead of
time and we are truly sorry for this.

We are a family owned and run property and we always seek to talk with our
guests and get to know them. We feel very bad that a guest had an unpleasant
experience. We would rather they had a good experience somewhere else and did offer
to get them a new accommodation. They declined and we gave them a 50% discount.

What we would like to be clear about is that the pictures of the old empty
pool the guest posted are not, and were not at the time of posting, part of the
Taman Rahasia property and feel it is not fair that they were posted. For current
pictures of our property please visit us online.