“A very upmarket homestay”
Review of Ketut's Place

Ketut's Place
Ranked #50 of 200 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I stayed at Ketuts' Place at the end of a month long stay in Bali, so had a lot to compare it with.

It was friendly, clean, good location with a very authentic Balinese feel.

I would definitely recommend it for single travellers, who are more mature!

Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank kathleen B

Reviewed January 2, 2012

My stay here was not good. Ketut was indifferent at best. My room was dark, dank and depressing. Bathroom dirty. My swimming costume bottoms never returned from their laundry service and I came home one day to find my window had been left open by whoever had come in to change towels. Given there is no capacity in the room to secure valuables this concerned me. Not being able to see my final bill in an itemized form seemed odd. But by that point I was willing to pay just to get out......maybe that is ketuts strategy!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Susieq25728
Reviewed January 1, 2012

The owner himself did not show me around or advise me on the services available but then got annoyed and then became cold on hearing that I booked my Gili Cat boat trip and other activities through a travel agent and made a point of telling me that I could have paid 700,000 Rupiah for a return ticket through him when I had paid 1,000,000.
Although the advertised family homestay vibe left a lot to be desired and Ketut's really just feels like a hotel, the rooms are affordable and clean and quite quirky. After dark, there are a lot of snarling dogs on the road home and ponds around the guest house breed mosquitos so make sure you bring some repellant if you are the type to get bitten.

Room Tip: We had a standard room and it was adequate and clean
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank HelenGina1981
Reviewed December 30, 2011

The idea of Ketut's is good, a family compound turned into a guesthouse. If the place were just that it would be better but many of the rooms are built into a ravine which is nice enough but renders the rooms dank, musty and dark. Everything was wet and smelled of mould. The bathroom was not overly clean either.
Ketut himself seemed put out as a host as it were inconvenient for him to have you there. If you don't take the meal he offers he seems also put out. There was no itemized checkout.
All in all I thought there was a powerful negative vibe in this place, something just not quite right.
Wouldn't go back or recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank poboysammy
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Thanks to rip-off merchants in Java we'd had a 12 hour horror journey to get to Bali but Ketut was kind enough to send us information (how much a taxi should be, that we had a room there if we wanted it) quickly via email and also let us in when we rocked up at 1am. Unfortunately this was the end of the positives for our stay.

We stayed our first night in room 16 (nice enough) which was 350k IDR then asked about other rooms in the morning. Room 14 (550k IDR, air con, spacious, private balcony) was free so we asked if we could move which was fine with Ketut but that we'd have to wait until they'd cleaned it before we shifted our things. Not a problem.

Things rapidly went downhill as follows:

1. We ordered breakfast at 9am (absolutely starving after a long trip and no dinner) and, after reminding the waiter and then Ketut, it eventually arrived at 10.15am. When it arrived the portions were tiny which, considering the room price, was very disappointing. I'm not sure why it took so long when there are only 4 or 5 very basic options - the waiter suggested the delay was due to everyone ordering at the same time....surely this is a regular occurrence in a hotel??

2. Eager to enjoy the private balcony we were going to be paying for, I asked when our new room would be ready. The staff member told us around 1.30pm so I said we'd come back from town then to move our stuff. At 1.30pm we returned and it wasn't ready, when I spoke to the guy he said he'd find me when it was done. At 3pm he was nowhere to be seen so we checked the room ourselves - it was cleaned and ready so we just moved in anyway.

3. Despite being a nice, large room there was a very musty smell and damp (which we didn't spot when quickly checking earlier) was evident on the walls in the corners which was very disappointing given the cost. Equally, when we went to bed that evening the linen was dirty and sticky.

4. Minor irk, but the wifi in the hotel was not free which is a joke given the room prices and the fact that every hotel and cafe in town has free internet. When I asked about this Ketut told me they hadn't managed to set up the free wifi as yet which is a blatant lie as the browser based charging system they've got would have been more complicated to install than to just leave the network open.

We decided to check out the next morning after originally saying we'd stay a few extra nights and informed Ketut this was because the room was damp. He really didn't seem bothered that we hadn't enjoyed our stay or that he was losing customers.

All things considered, the hotel is in a nice setting and has the potential to be very good. However the attitude of Ketut (correctly described as 'surly' in other reviews), the slow service and the quality of the rooms for the price bracket make this a poor option. We found a considerably nicer room at a similar Balinese compound (Mai Malu) for less than half the price.

Our suspicion was that the Lonely Planet recommendation had gone to his head (and to his rates) and standards were slipping.

There are much better and cheaper options everywhere in Ubud.

Room Tip: Avoid the higher prices rooms below the pool - they have a damp problem.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul J
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I Used Tripadvisor reviews to choose this place from apparently thousands in Ubud. We found it a haven away from the main drag and the horrible traffic jams and commerialism of hideous Monkey Forest Road. The gardens are beautiful and the pool very clean and inviting ( earlier reviews may have been effective here). Ketut was helpful but not intrusive. The Balinese banquet was the best food we had in Ubud by a very long way with a variety of dishes we didn't find elsewhere. We had an upstairs room (as advised by an earlier reviewer) with a view of Guning Agung. The drawback was the backyard next door which was a rooster jungle. Take ear plugs!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 18, 2011

This was my 4th trip to Bali and whereas I usually travel on the extreme side of cheap, I decided to land at nicer but still relatively inexpensive place instead of the funky places I usually stay on busy Monkey forest rd. Ketuts place seemed to fill that bill. However, things did not go so well for me. When I met Ketut he was amiable enough, so we decided to take him up on the Balinese banquet, which I considered to be over priced. It was alright but nothing special. The room was one of the ones towards the ravine, quiet and relatively spacious. One night after an exhausting day of trekking, I came back to our room, looked at some of my photos on my brand new camera and proceeded to charge my battery. In the middle of the night we were awakened by a crash and some heavy footsteps. My girlfriend thought it had been an animal but I pointed out there are no bears in Bali! The next morning I woke up to find my camera, which I had left on a table outside the front door, was stolen. Ketuts response was baffling: he swore nothing like this had ever happened. He implied that I was getting old and perhaps was prone to forgetting where I put things. His son pointed out I had left my water bottle somewhere on thevpremises and had to ask them to look for it. I told him pointedly that I had the camera with me the night before, had the battery in the charger to prove it and enough of this nonsense, it was stolen. The next morning Ketut and his teen son came down to our room, making a great show of looking around,his son even opening drawers we had never used, looking for the "misplaced"camera while Ketut and I stood outside talking. The next morning I got up and was about to put on my daypack when I looked inside only to discover the missing camera had magically reappeared! Rather than say anything to Ketut or his son, only to hear how i must have misplaced the camera after all etc, I chose to remain silent on the subject. The son and I exchanged a look that spoke volumes- he knew that I knew....the only question remaining was, did Ketut know? Didn't matter to me- I had my camera back.

On top of this, when asked what it should cost for a driver to take us to a certain location, Ketut just looked at me witheringly and said,"ask the driver". In general I found him to be surly and unhelpful. Indeed, the only time he feigned friendliness was when he wanted us to attend his Kecak performance. After that all I got was the cold shoulder. He never apologized for the camera incident. I should mention in closing that most places like this have a security guard on duty at night. Ketut is the only security guy and when he goes to bed, there is no one around. So no, all things considered I would not return to Ketuts, as charming and reasonably priced as it is.

• Stayed: October 2011