“Great value in Ubud”
Review of Ketut's Place

Ketut's Place
Ranked #53 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I Used Tripadvisor reviews to choose this place from apparently thousands in Ubud. We found it a haven away from the main drag and the horrible traffic jams and commerialism of hideous Monkey Forest Road. The gardens are beautiful and the pool very clean and inviting ( earlier reviews may have been effective here). Ketut was helpful but not intrusive. The Balinese banquet was the best food we had in Ubud by a very long way with a variety of dishes we didn't find elsewhere. We had an upstairs room (as advised by an earlier reviewer) with a view of Guning Agung. The drawback was the backyard next door which was a rooster jungle. Take ear plugs!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Ketut's Place

Reviewed November 18, 2011

This was my 4th trip to Bali and whereas I usually travel on the extreme side of cheap, I decided to land at nicer but still relatively inexpensive place instead of the funky places I usually stay on busy Monkey forest rd. Ketuts place seemed to fill that bill. However, things did not go so well for me. When I met Ketut he was amiable enough, so we decided to take him up on the Balinese banquet, which I considered to be over priced. It was alright but nothing special. The room was one of the ones towards the ravine, quiet and relatively spacious. One night after an exhausting day of trekking, I came back to our room, looked at some of my photos on my brand new camera and proceeded to charge my battery. In the middle of the night we were awakened by a crash and some heavy footsteps. My girlfriend thought it had been an animal but I pointed out there are no bears in Bali! The next morning I woke up to find my camera, which I had left on a table outside the front door, was stolen. Ketuts response was baffling: he swore nothing like this had ever happened. He implied that I was getting old and perhaps was prone to forgetting where I put things. His son pointed out I had left my water bottle somewhere on thevpremises and had to ask them to look for it. I told him pointedly that I had the camera with me the night before, had the battery in the charger to prove it and enough of this nonsense, it was stolen. The next morning Ketut and his teen son came down to our room, making a great show of looking around,his son even opening drawers we had never used, looking for the "misplaced"camera while Ketut and I stood outside talking. The next morning I got up and was about to put on my daypack when I looked inside only to discover the missing camera had magically reappeared! Rather than say anything to Ketut or his son, only to hear how i must have misplaced the camera after all etc, I chose to remain silent on the subject. The son and I exchanged a look that spoke volumes- he knew that I knew....the only question remaining was, did Ketut know? Didn't matter to me- I had my camera back.

On top of this, when asked what it should cost for a driver to take us to a certain location, Ketut just looked at me witheringly and said,"ask the driver". In general I found him to be surly and unhelpful. Indeed, the only time he feigned friendliness was when he wanted us to attend his Kecak performance. After that all I got was the cold shoulder. He never apologized for the camera incident. I should mention in closing that most places like this have a security guard on duty at night. Ketut is the only security guy and when he goes to bed, there is no one around. So no, all things considered I would not return to Ketuts, as charming and reasonably priced as it is.

• Stayed: October 2011
5  Thank bridude2001
Reviewed November 13, 2011

A perfect place for romance. Easy access to Ubud. You live in an upgraded family compound which has a small pool, and lovely plantings all over. Ketut organises trips, car rentals etc and every other evening there is a special Balinese dinner promotion which is gorgeous. Real Balinese style living, you will want to return...as i did.

Room Tip: just book early and maybe the lower rooms are more special, but actually they are all lovely there i...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Being overwhelmed by the number of accommodation choices in Ubud, and looking for a reasonably-priced accommodation, I landed on Ketut's. It's located about 1km from the center of Ubud - about a 10 minute walk. Overall it's a decent place to stay and a good value for the money. The family is gracious and the grounds of their place is very inviting - quiet with lots of greenery. The room was generally clean, but I found the bed and linens to be old and tired.

The only drawbacks I found:

Pool - while generally nice, there was a lof of algae and the water didn't seem particularly clean. appears that it hadn't been cleaned in some time

Privacy - the overall place was quiet (back from the road), but the villas / bungalows were very close to each other and it was very easy to hear the neighbors. plus, the many members of the family were always around (but they never intruded).

Bed - as noted above

So, if you are looking for quiet, reasonably-priced place that's not-too-close or not-too-far away from the center of town, consider Ketut's.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank sfmattyb
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We spent 12 wonderful nights at ketuts.
We had room 12 overlooking the ravine, which is the loveliest room I have ever had in Bali. It has a large private balcony, & is beautifully decorated.
The bed has a comfortable inner spring mattress & is spotlessly clean. Good reading lights (unusual for Bali), & lovely views out the many windows & glass double doors.
If you like lots of light this is a wonderful room

The garden is charming & beautifully maintained.

Ketut, his wife, & family were lovely hosts, & the staff were all pleasant & helpful
I have seen complaints about the distance from Ubud centre. I am 67 & just recovering from a major operation, & I did not find it too far!
There are great restaurants in the next street Jalan Kajung, which you can cut through to, via a couple of lanes.
Great walks into the rice paddies & jungle at the end of Jalan kajung, & if energetic you can even return to Jalan Sweta making it a round trip.

We Will certainly be returning & recommending this charming place to others.

Room Tip: There are a range of different priced rooms. Some more private than others. I loved the solitude of...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I have been to this place back in 2000. it was small and family run. and this time around, it is my 3rd time back there since 2000. Everytime back there, we see new improvements to it. This trip we brought along my 3 daughters there too. They just loved it there. As for my wife & me, we loved it here as we feel very secured as the kids can run and play freely knowing that they will be fine.
As for the pricing, it is very reasonable priced as compared to others. Most importantly, my family is safe and the place is quiet & peaceful - in exception of the noises created by my kids.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2011

this is an excellent family run bed and breakfast/upscale homestay. it gives you a chance to see how a real family lives in ubud/bali. i thought the high season price of $40-50 per night was very reasonable. ketuts place has loads of charm. it is a 10 minute walk from the main strip in ubud. i have stayed in a wide variety of accommadations around the world and for the price this is one of the best. 3 generations of his family help run the place. i enjoyed feeding bananas to monkeys at the monkey forest.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends