“After a nice day in the paddy fields, all cash was gone”
Review of Melati Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Melati Cottages
Ranked #245 of 572 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Singapore
“After a nice day in the paddy fields, all cash was gone”
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Like another reviewer, we got stolen shortly prior checking out.
We made the dumb mistake of not carrying all our cash with us and left our Euro and Sing Dol currencies in the room in one of our bags.
Definitely annoying, for a place which is not so great and quit pricy.
It was already not a good deal before, but when I factor the EUR 100 lost, it's a rip off...
look elsewhere, there are plenty of other accomodations, likely better.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hadryen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Indonesian first
Monticello, Mississippi
Reviewed July 14, 2010

I had friends in Ubud who suggested Melati. What a treasure! The rooms were just beautiful! Clean, mosquito netting covered bedding, friendly staff, free wifi, free breakfast, and cheap! Everyone was exceptional friendly... Wayan, the manager, even said Hi to my Mom on skype! I thought that was so funny! My only complaint was that the bathrooms need updating. For the $21 bucks a night.. it was exceptional!!! They do have a safe to keep valuables behind the front desk. I would recommend this place to anyone and will definitely stay again!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank kelgeorgie
Bangkok
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Regardless of the hotel amenities, which are acceptable for the price - my ipod and camera were stolen by the staff and one of the staff had been through my backpack when I was not around. The theft occured just prior to when I was to check out - a convenient time in that I would not be around when I noticed the theft. My plan changed and I had reason to go through my belongings. I discivered my ipod and camera were missing - total value upwards of $600. The staff could have cared less. Stay away from this place at all costs.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank travellightly77
Den Haag
Reviewed November 23, 2009

We had booked via indo.com for 2 nights, we left after 1 night (and payed for 2).
It already started when we were picked up from the airport.
We had contacted the hotel in advance because we would arrive late in the evening, we requested them to pick us up, and we clearly mentioned the we are with 3 adults and 3 big suitcases. When we arrived in Denpasar the driver was waiting for us with a friend of his, so all was arranged we thought, however wen we get to the car I was very surprised that is was a honda accord (a middle class sedan), only 2 of the 3 suitcases fitted in the trunk, we had to sit with the 3 of us in the back, and the last suitcase was on the lap of the friend of the driver, very professional, NOT!! They even charged us Rp 250.000 for it (for the same money you can rend a mini van including driver and fuel for 8 hours in Bali)
When we arrived at the hotel there was no staff, only night guards who gave us the key to our rooms. The first impression was that the gardens look very nice, but the horror begun when we arrived at our cottage, we hand to bang the door open with our shoulder, when he got up the stairs we saw a very dirty room, chewing gum on the floor, stains in the bed and the mosquito net, broken furniture, very dirty light switches etc,
even the bathroom downstairs was very dirty, the water tap would turn around when you tried to open it, the bath was filthy, and the cockroaches were everywhere.
Nothing looked like the pictures they have posted on the internet sites. I will post some pictures so you can see how it really look like.
Because it was already very late and we where in the middle of no-ware we decided to stay one night, but I can tell you it was a long night and almost no sleep thinking about the hygiene.
The next morning we went to the desk and we checked out, the staff didn't even asked us why we left early, they only asked us to sign the voucher (that was payed for 2 nights) and we did, the money was our least concern, the most important thing was to get out of that filthy place.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank twan78
Ubud, Indonesia
Reviewed May 4, 2009

I have held 8 workshops at Melati Cottages over the past 5 years. These are some of the loveliest, kindest, most gracious people I have ever had the pleasure to work with, and I have travelled all over the world. Of the well over 100 guests I have brought there, not one single person has a problem with loss, rudeness or any similar kind of problem with the staff or management of this establishment. Melati Cottages is a gem of a place, it is not 5 star (nor does it claim to be)... but it is wll situated, clean, charming, incredibly reasonably priced, well managed, and staffed with deeply caring people. One of my students took a fall and was hospitalized, the level of concern they showed was heartwarming. The hotel owner drove an hour to visit this gentleman in the hospital and took an active part in getting him the best care. Thank You Melati Cottages... you are the best. I have a ream of glowing reports from my attendees, and I can't imagine a better place to stay or hold a workshop.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Astroeve
travelingcat09
Reviewed April 28, 2009

I have stayed at Melati twice for two weeks each time, (in October 06 and August 08) and return in May 09 for a third stay of three weeks. It is a 10 minute walk into bustling Ubud; Melati is quiet and safe & welcoming. As a woman traveling solo, I am always very conscious my surroundings. I feel very safe at Melati. The staff has always treated me & my fellow travelers with the utmost respect and honesty. I cannot imagine staying anywhere else whilst in Bali. It's not a five-star luxury hotel, but the rooms in my experience are clean & comfortable - and always a fresh creatively folded towel on the bed each day, with a fresh flower.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Desert of southern CA
Reviewed April 28, 2009

I've been to Bali twice on business and stayed at Melati Cottages both times, two weeks on each visit. I found the place magnificently beautiful, friendly, and it felt safe and secure. If I return to Bali, I will be there a third time. The staff is a bunch of angels.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business