“Much Improvement Needed”
Review of Melati Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Melati Cottages
Ranked #227 of 557 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Issaquah, Washington
“Much Improvement Needed”
Reviewed August 22, 2008

Luckily I read the other traveler's review the night before I stayed at Melati Cottages so at least I knew what to expect. The gardens are really beautiful. The pool is clean (although really, really cold!). The restaurant is charming enough, however the food is low quality and some of the worst in all of my stays in Bali. The room was indeed huge. But, I had been told that I would have a king sized bed and one extra single. This was imperative since my husband and I were to have our five year old son sleep with us. The bed was only a queen and a single and there were no extra beds to roll in. There are zero "extras" at Melati. We received exactly two towels and were told there weren't any extras to spare. There's nothing like a hand towel or bottled water or a flower on the sink. It's almost as if they stopped caring about the maintenance when they last opened in the 80s. We were told that they are slowly remodeling the rooms, but as to date, they've only gotten to one room. The shower rod in the bathroom was old and rusted. The shower curtain was moldy and wasn't even clipped up all the way. (How hard is that to prepare?) The screen was full of grit and dust. The toilet seat was dislocated. The staff seems removed. Had I never seen any other well kept places for the same cost then perhaps I would have been more tolerant. I do not recommend a visit to Melati Cottages unless you have no where else to stay.

• Liked — the gardens
  • Disliked — the lack of care for the room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Indonesian first
New Zealand
Reviewed June 19, 2008

If you can find somewhere else I'd recommend it. Melati is in a lovely setting, and has great potential, but its let down by a lack of care. My room was huge but there was no air-con (fan only) which in humid weather isn't enough. Cleaning was limited to mopping the floors - not even wiping around the bath. There was long-term grime on spots like light switches and around the windows. Light bulbs were 25 watt so I found myself reading by torchlight at night. I had problems getting things back from the laundry service promptly - sometimes it took two days. There was no fridge in the room, so it was impossible to keep things cool. the electric mozzie repeller didn't work. The mattress was foam rubber, with no mattress protector, so in humid weather it fast became damp and uncomfortable. The food in the hotel restaurant was blah. A number of people in our group had maintenance problems in their rooms, mostly with plumbing. Its cheap, but it shows.

• Liked — pleasant setting
  • Disliked — lack of cleaning
  • Stayed June 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)