“Tranquility away from the tourism hotspot”
Review of Melati Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Melati Cottages
Ranked #226 of 554 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Vienna, Austria
“Tranquility away from the tourism hotspot”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Actually, I had had a booking for another hotel for three days, but after the second day I moved to Melati Cottages.
Melati Cottages is a very nice place giving you the feel of really BEING in Ubud. Away from the hectic of Monkey Forest Road, but still within walking distance (15 minutes) to the town's buzzling life, I consider it as a very good option for a stay in Ubud. The pool is very nice, too, and - as always - in Indonesia, the staff is very friendly and helpful

Room Tip: I would go for the upper floor in one of the bungalows.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Indonesian first
perth, western australia
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed at Melati again in June 2012 for a yoga retreat and it was as clean, friendly and good value as ever. Im noticing a change in the surrounding businesses - a bit more sophisticated - and a tendency to charge US dollars. Turn right at the entrance and walk 200 m to the last dining room before the hill on the right. Cant remember its name but it does fab Indo food cooked to order. Transfers from the hotel should be $25 but the driver will try and charge $30 if theres more than one of you. It's bugger all in the scheme of things but annoying.

Room Tip: Room 8 offers windows overlooking the garden but not much privacy (folk can see in if you leave the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank tallergirl2
Dallas, TX
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Simple, clean, close to town...perfect setting and location to explore Ubud. Good value. Only thing you have to watch is not all rooms are air conditioned and the descriptions don't indicate which you're booking when you book (says....ceiling fan OR air conditioning. Big difference). I insisted on a room with AC and they charged me extra for it. It was still worth it, but no one likes surprises like that.

Room Tip: Make sure it has AC if you care about that.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ABC3702
Brunswick Heads, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Quiet, incredibly helpful and warm staff. Lovely pool, spacious rooms.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annie B
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We had a wonderful stay in Ubud at Melati Cottages. The rooms were simple but cleaned daily, free breakfast was great and the staff were so helpful. Pool was really nice and food at the restaurant very cheap. We hired a scooter to get in and out of town which was great, wouldn't have wanted to walk up that hill especially at night. No bar fridge or tv in the room which I missed, but for $45 US a night I was happy and there was so much to do around Ubud that we didn't spend too much time in our room anyway :)

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Kel146
Bandon, OR
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My husband and I were signed up to stay thirteen nights at Melati Cottages but stayed twenty-three nights. We were very happy there. The service was outstanding; when my husband got sick, three housecalls were made to our room by doctors and their assistants during a two-day period, the first time arriving within ten minutes of our call! Our housekeeping staff did duties no one should be expected to do! Melati staff served a hot breakfast every day. The pool was open twenty-four hours a day, and we swam at least once every day, including a few times under the stars watching the fireflies. Our room had a moat around two sides filled with fish and blooming lotus blossoms. We met so many wonderful people from around the world; the setting was so condusive to making new friends. Ketut, one of our drivers, is the son of the owners of Melati, and not only did I experience a wonderful tour with him but he introduced me to his wife Jule who made a custom-made kebaya for me. If I ever return to Bali, there is no doubt I would return to Melati Cottages. P.S. There was no "fitness center" as listed below, but the pool was excellent. And I want to add that the location was so peaceful and quiet. And transportation was always very easy to obtain.

Room Tip: There are several choices. We personally preferred a room with air conditioning on the first floor...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GoodKarmaTraveler
Piedmont, California
Reviewed April 21, 2012

A lovely place to relax. My room was very large on a corner with floor to ceiling windows, providing lots of light. Out one window were rice paddies and the plot on the other side was waiting to be planted with corn or another vegetable. Some rooms face onto one of two large lotus ponds. It is located out of the main area of Ubud and it takes a 20-30 minute walk to get downtown. I especially enjoyed the walk although the road and sidewalk take some navigating. In the evening, it is easy to get a motorcycle to take you back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo