“A decadent paradise!”

Ranked #107 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Bangalore, India
“A decadent paradise!”
Reviewed August 11, 2009

We booked the Barong resort after reading reviews on trip advisor and I have to say that it exceeded all expectations! We fell in love with the hotel on sight...from the rustic decor to the friendly staff it was a great way to welcome us into Bali. We had one of the rooms with the plunge pool (which is definitely a big +) and our room was comfortable with a large bathroom. We only had breakfast in the hotel (which was great!) so can't really comment on the rest of the meals. The hotel has a complimentary trek in the mornings to the Ubud rice fields which we would highly recommend. Some great scenery specially if you're a photography buff! In terms of location, it could not be better ....right in the heart of ubud - easy access to loads of shops, restaurants and yes...the monkey forest!

We also stayed at the Melia Bali which was nice in itself but not remarkable from any other 5 star property. Barong, though not 5 star was great for its ambience and staff , we only wish that we had stayed more than 2 nights!!

• Liked — Rustic look and feel
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Northern California, USA
Reviewed May 22, 2009

Barong was quite an exceptional little spot, and included the best hospitality and service I've yet received at a hotel. We had one of the rooms with a private plunge pool -- very much worth the additional expense. It's important to remember this area is still developing, meaning you may still be woken up by roosters in the morning, but overall that added to the charm. The staff are immensely helpful and were great about helping us solve a big range of questions.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2009

I spent 5 nights at the Barong and it certainly wasn't worth the price. The rooms are fairly standard and decorated in Indonesian style. The bathrooms are fairly large but I experienced problems with the flushing of my toilet and after 2 days was moved to another room, with a similar problem. The breakfast was nothing to rave about. I was also handed a free voucher for dinner and it was the worst meal I have ever eaten. I opted for Nasi Goreng. I asked for a glass of red wine and they did not offer any wine by the glass. They offer free wireless but it is turned off and one has to ask for it to be switched on each time you want to use it. I tried to get a spa treatment at 5pm as the spa closes at 8pm and was told that the lady at the spa would like to close at 6pm, so no spa treatment for me! It cost me $157 per night and I certainly would not recommend this hotel for the price.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
becksova
Reviewed November 3, 2008

We spent three nights in this lovely small hotel staying in a standard room. The room was very nice with its own private small garden and a large bathroom. The hotel has a great pool. Its fantastic value for money and in a good location for all the tourist activities. The staff were more than helpful. Booked through asiarooms.com.

• Liked — Balinese interior
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2008

We stayed for 4 nights at the Barong In July/August 2008, after a hectic month touring Australia, and can honestly say it is like paradise-it was just what we needed to relax and unwind before returning home.
The staff are as polite as can be, the setting is beautiful, and the location is excellent for what Ubud has to offer.
We did the Heron walk, which was ok, but the early morning trekking with a personal guide was amazing-the sights are awesome. We also did a dinner and Balinese dancing evening which was very reasonable, and included return transport.
We had the 2 bedroom villa, with private pool, and have never had a room as beautiful anywhere-the only downside was it could be a bit shaded, and so we headed for the main pool in the afternoon, but there was hardly ever anyone there so this was not a problem.
It is so quiet, that you don't actully realise it is a hotel.
Nothing but prise for the Barong-we will return as soon as we can!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank iainmic
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 31, 2008

I fell in love with Ubud the moment I first saw it. Being from Los Angeles, I would have to liken it to Venice Beach. There is no actual beach to speak of as Ubud is located in the mountainous jungle region of Central Bali, but in terms of the Art Scene, the Shopping, the restaurants, and the eclectic groups of people, the essence of the two locales are very similar. Ex-Pat’s and Indonesians alike fill the town’s shops, restaurants, art houses and streets.

I moved to the Barong from one of the more secluded properties outside Ubud because I wanted to be closer to the activity of this little town I had become so taken with. The Barong was the perfect private retreat in the middle of the hustle and bustle (such as it is) of Ubud. My room had its own private Plunge Pool, which I used daily with glee. There was also a lovely private patio area with two lounge chairs, and a small dining nook area. I took to having my breakfast there each morning as it was the perfect start to the day. I did not have any meals other than breakfast at the hotel, so I cannot vouch for their lunch or dinner. Later on, I also used the patio area as the setting for an in-house massage I ordered, and the sound of the fountain and birds singing in the background was the perfect soundtrack.

The entrance to the room itself was through a set of sliding glass doors from off the Patio. This seemed a bit unconventional at first, but I got used to it rather quickly. And there are curtains to use for nighttime privacy should you feel the need for it. The bed was comfy, the sheets crisp and white and the mosquito netting was suspended beautifully from the natural palm woven ceiling. I never got bitten, but I did take care to keep the doors closed when not going in or out of them. There was a television, but who needs it?

The bathroom was surprisingly large, and it contained the closet area as well. I found this to be rather convenient for dressing, but people traveling together might find this to be a nuisance, since the closet wouldn’t exactly be accessible if one’s travel companion were using the bathroom. There were no shower curtains to speak of either, so shower with care in order to avoid splashing water all over the tile flooring. In regards to the shower, the shower head is not the typical suspended overhead one, but rather a hand held one that you have to position yourself. Again, I did not find this to be a problem, but some might. There was a sunken tub area as well, but I didn’t think it was shaped for a proper soak, so I just used the shower nozzle. If you are in the mood for a deep soak though, there is an incredibly DEEP soaking tub that is part the spa area on the property, and just an appointment away.

All in all the Barong Resort & Spa is a beautiful, tranquil and lovely oasis located just on the main street of Ubud central, but set back just enough to create the solitude and relaxation you may be seeking. The price is right, and the gracious Staff are on hand to accommodate any needs you might have. I highly recommend it for any budget-
conscious traveler (solo or not) who wants to stay right in the middle of the excitement and beauty that is Ubud.

• Liked — I loved it's central Ubud locale, as I could step outside and walk almost anywhere from there.
  • Disliked — There was not 24 hour Front Desk attendance as there would be with a larger hotel.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank AngelenoTraveler
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed July 17, 2008

Loved this little hotel. Ideally located on the monkey forest rd in the middle, a short walk one way to the monkey forest and a short walk the other way to the markets. Greeted with a cool towel and fruit cocktail then lef away to your room, which is through the jungle like gardens to your room. We were in a superior room past the pool and they were lovely, very large and the bathrooms were huge! It is a small hotel with only maybe 12 rooms? so you feel like you are the only ones staying there - we had the pool and the restaurant at breakfast to ourselves so service was great!
Lovely little treats in your room each day/night - cookies, peanuts, fresh fruit etc.
Free tour through the rice paddys in a very flash 4WD to see the white herons. The herons were not terribly exciting but the drive through the local village and fields was amazing.
Great little hotel, that goes out of their way to make your stay pleasant.

• Liked — Beautiful hotel with great service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends