“Beautiful Hotel and Friendly Service”

Junjungan Ubud Hotel and Spa
Ranked #20 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed April 27, 2013

The hotel is nicely decorated and it is set in the Junjungan Village; which means there are not much traffic and crowd.

My partner and I stayed in the Awan room which again was nicely decorated and it had a grand view of the paddy fields. The room was clean too.

The food in the restaurant was good but this is subjective as cooks change. We particularly enjoyed the satay and the kampung friend rice. I know that people usually recommend to go around Bali to eat but seriously the food here is a notch above the normal food you would find in Ubud. I also enjoyed the Bali coffee so much that I came back to the hotel to purchase two packs of the beans! The staff was friendly and kind enough to accommodate my request for this coffee and they even gave me a cup of coffee on the house!

We also went for the spa. My partner and I felt so cosy in Junjungan such that going to town for a spa was a drag and we were glad that the spa was worth our money. We picked the ultimate package of the massage, body scrub and ending off with a herbal soak in a tub. I am sure Sang Spa might be better but the need to make a reservation for Sang Spa removed the joy of going to a spa on a whim.

It is the small details that matter and Junjungan has excelled in these small details.

Room Tip: Try booking earlier. No promises but they gave us a discount when we booked online early (2 months i...
1  Thank AdrianLooi

Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I were lucky enough to stay at the Junjungan Hotel and Spa for about 6 weeks as part of our world travels so we are more qualified than most to leave an accurate review. I find it hard to describe exactly how good the experience was. From beginning to end the staff were amazingly friendly, helpful and attentive. They went out of their way to make sure we were happy, comfortable and relaxed. We felt more like royalty than tourists. Neither my wife nor I speak any Balinese but it was not a problem at all, as the level of English amongst the staff was very good indeed. The rooms were exceptionally clean, and beautiful throughout. The bed was huge and comfortable, and the bath was the best, and biggest bath I have ever had the pleasure of using. Unlike a lot of Balinese accommodation, the room was completely sealed off from the outside, so people who are not keen on insects and bugs will be safe here. The air conditioning, the fridge, the internet connection and the TV were all perfect. The location of the hotel is brilliant as it lies just far enough from the centre of Ubud to be quiet and peaceful, but close enough to be convenient, and the view of the rice fields from the balcony is stunning. The food in the hotel was of a very high standard, and we were always able to get what we wanted at a reasonable price. Breakfast was always great and we were able to be flexible on what time we ate (lazy mornings here are great). My wife and I had a car which we were able to park at the hotel, but you don't really need one as the hotel offers a free shuttle service in to town which only takes a few minutes. The hotel itself could be described as boutique luxury as there are only a handful of rooms and it never felt too busy which was nice. The swimming pool was spotlessly clean, and always a treat for cooling down, as was the free pool-side tropical ice tea. Our favourite thing about the hotel was the staff, and how friendly and kind they were. Thanks for singing me happy birthday and for the beautiful gifts. I hope very much that my wife and I have the opportunity to return to the hotel to say hello to Dolir, Siwi, Unita, Annie, and all the other lovely staff. If you do chose to stay here, which I recommend strongly, say hi from us, and that Jack and Jenni sent you.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jackoliverjoy
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We have spent a wonderful 3 days at Junjungan Hotel. The staff are extremely warm and friendly, very accommodating and go above and beyond to please. We got upgraded to a deluxe suite upon arrival and greeted with welcome drinks. We were a little further away from central Ubud than originally anticiated but the free on demand shuttle service to and from central Ubud more than compensates for this.

We ate at the restaurant the first night and the food was brilliant - compliments to the chef! There is a free afternoon tea service - the lemonade is lovely! Plus free blue-ray DVD service with a good selection of the latest movies.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James N
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I love this place. It is charming. It is comfortable. It is beautiful. We all fell in love with it. Our view from the room was lovely--a dazzling rice field green. I sat out on the balcony and drank tea and watched the ducks chase each other in the rice fields. We actually holed up here our first day which is not usually our style, but it was so inviting. The staff are super pleasant. The only negative I will add is sometimes you have to look for them. They are not always ready at the post. I wonder if it has to do with the newness of the hotel and learning how to serve guests. The food in the restaurant is good as well--not a lot of variety but great if you are just too tired to go somewhere. The spa has limited offerings as well, but the masseuse is wonderful. There has been a lot of thought given to the styling of the rooms and small touches which transform great into fantastic.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 67suns
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Why reluctant? Cause it's a Catch 22. We want to keep this gem to ourselves for fear of growing popularity that might result in eventual decline of awesomeness... yet not sharing this gem just doesn't seem right.

Just came back from a 5 day holiday in Bali and I just had to pen this review. Having arrived straight from the Airport, we were swiftly brought over to the hotel and were immediately awestruck at the overall look of the place. This hotel oozes serenity and comfort even in the searing heat of the April sun. The ambience of the whole place coupled with the beautiful room that we had immediately won us over. One will be amazed at what ubud has to offer, more so if you stay at Junjungan. Service matched the ambience of the hotel and nevertheless it was top quality. The staff; with a special mention to Siwi, the manager of almost 4 years were all polite and attentive. Every request promptly met, every question answered. You know how some pictures look so much better than the real thing? Not Jungjungan. If you have yet to see the pictures, the rice padi is literally few feet away and the really nice looking bathtub is just icing on top. When you are done with sightseeing/walking around town, home is just a phonecall away; the free shuttle will come and pick you up wherever you are. This 11-room hotel is a fantastic, if not the perfect choice when you stay at Ubud. Booking JJG Hotel & Spa was the first step in the right direction after deciding on a trip to Bali, so much so that it diluted the private villa that I stayed next at, my partner can attest to that... Bali is truly an amazing place to visit, more so if you do decide to book this place.

Mozzies might be in your room due to the proximity of the padi field, nothing the bug spray can't handle..

To Siwi: If we haven't thank you enough yet, I hope this review brings a smile to you and the staff of JJG. Thanks for calling up before my flight to confirm the correct timing for our arrival. If you hadn't done that, it would surely have been a headache and a long wait at the airport..

Room Tip: You will have a Playstation 3 in your room, blue ray movies and games available on request for free...
3  Thank Smoows
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Chose this hotel because it was small and out of town, and of course because of the excellent reviews. We spent a week there. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable, the shuttle to town works a treat. The staff are really pleasant and attentive. The restaurant is small, with a limited menu, but when we did eat there at night the food was very good. The breakfasts are lovely with many choices, though you do have to order the night before.
In all, it was well worth the reviews it has received, so long as you appreciate it is out of town and small.

Room Tip: We stayed upstairs - probably the best choice for outside disturbances. The stream deadens any road...
1  Thank HilaryW79
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Four of us (two couples) stayed at Junjungan Ubud hotel in March 2013. We chose this hotel based on the reviews and we were charmed by the place from the minute we arrived. The staff really sets this hotel apart - so kind, helpful, and happy. They took such good care of us! We used the pool everyday and within minutes of getting in, one of the staff members came by with complementary iced tea with chopped fruit. The food in the hotel was excellent and we ate dinner there on two of our three nights. The breakfasts were amazing and we didn't mind having to put in our order the night before. it was actually fun thinking about what we were going to try the next day.
The rooms are beautiful with amazing views of the rice fields. There were flowers all over the room! This would be such a romantic honeymoon spot! We liked that it was remote, which made it so quiet and peaceful. The staff was more than happy to coordinate the free shuttle for us anytime we wanted to go into town. They also coordinated a river rafting tour with us, which worked out really well. On our last morning, one of us decided to run into town for a massage, and the shuttle driver took him there and back right on schedule.
It really was a spectacular stay and if Bali wasn't so far away from home, I would come to this hotel often! We all loved it and were sad to leave it.

Room Tip: We were in Studio 2, which was on the top floor on one end of the hotel, and it was lovely, with a s...