“Pande Permai Bungalow - Faulty Towers”

Pande Permai Bungalows
Ranked #179 of 200 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I wrote this review earlier and for some reason wasn't published- Our experience at the Bungalow was that the owners wanted cash for their payment and re-iterated several times over different days that they needed cash to pay to their staff- thus was despite on the online booking it advised the place accepted Mastercard. We arrived 1 hr early and were shown to our room thinking it was ready - no towels, no lights and smell of rotting cabbage in the bathroom (standard smells for most of Bali anyway). The room was large and I loved the marble tiles- the wifi worked on/off - there was no DVD player to watch any DVD's. The monkeys from the nearby monkey park were a worry, jumping onto the roof trying to break in and had smashed their way through an adjoining building. My impression is that you get what you pay for as unfortunately we left our booking till the last and were very few places left in HIgh season for the end of Rhamadan. The sound of a running stream over the balcony provided us with a view of people washing themselves amongst bags of filthy rubbish. Would I recommend no - if you have any problems with mould - don't go there the place is very damp and old. The Bali Government should get their acts together and help support the many small businesses there as they are reaping in many tourist dollars in the areas. I don't know where some of these other tourists have stayed there but it certainly wasn't anywhere near us or the experience we had.

Room Tip: Look at Trip Advisor
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Barbara J

Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Booked this hotel from hotel booth at Denpasar airport so unfortunately didn't see the terrible reviews! Our room was over priced, old, smelt bad, the sheets were wet and the third bed we requested was actually a large faux leather sofa cushion, and the sheet was too small for it so it kept on pinging off in the night. The toilet roll did not get replenished as previous people have mentioned. When we asked for this to be done it was not and so we had to go and get it ourselves when we realised. Archaic television and furniture, the bathroom sink was leaking. The air con in our "deluxe" room hardly worked. The breakfast was pretty poor. On the plus side we had no bugs!! Do not stay here, I would not ever stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I loved the atmosphere of this family hotel. The staff were helpful and friendly. My room was beautiful, huge, and clean, with a spacious balcony overlooking a majestic palm and the rice fields. From the other window I could watch the monkeys careening about in the forest. It was fabulous. The pool was great. I ate in an excellent Indonesian restaurant next door. I couldn't have been happier.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are great. Mine looked out onto the rice fields one way and the monkey forest the othe...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2012

This hotel was a great surprise for us! It was absolutely amazing! Our room was spectacular, with great view, big terrace, enough space to make you fell as comfortable as possible, spacious bathroom.
The service was ok, they had some difficulties with English but in-between their English and our Indonesia Bahasa we understood each other. They’re friendly and always offering their help. They’ve recommended us a place to rent the scooter and where to find a driver for a day to get around and get to see the most of Ubud and surroundings. Breakfast was ok, choice of pancakes or toasts, and fresh fruits juice. We had the best time there. They cleaned the room on daily basis. Location is great, so close to the Monkey Forest. The pool is clean and water is warm even by night, so if you want to go for a swim in the night, this is the place. I strongly recommend everybody to stay there: it is an oasis of relaxation and quality time.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nukanuk
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Worst hotel I stayed at in Ubud. The first room I was taken to smelt like urine, and much to my horror, my bed was soaked in a wet puddle of urine. The second room I was taken to had human faeces splattered on the walls and on the toilet. Disgusting. Figured I could just stay one night, but as I sat on my bed, hundreds of flying bugs started to crawl out from the bamboo bed...they had a nest there. I had paid for one night in cash, but the staff refused to give me my money back. They suggested I move to another room and pay an extra Rp200,000. After I had already paid the equivalent of $40. As a journalist, I have stayed in some bad places. But this takes the cake. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank KK S
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights and I have stayed here for several nights 3 years ago. I've seen probably about 8 hotels around Ubud and I think this place is great. Handy location, quiet, nice rooms. Sure the manager is pretty cold and I wouldnt trust her but the other staff are friendly and helpful. I've stayed in the cheaper room (US$25) and also the medium priced room ($40) and I thought they were both really good for the price. Definitely worth a look in my opinion.

Room Tip: Rooms with the balconies are the way to go
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Flaxseed1000mg
Reviewed October 26, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights (22nd- 23rd Oct 2011), in the Suite (Asia Room), it was the worst hotel i have ever stayed!

1. The staff were dishonest! As we didn't drive, the manager offered us a taxi transportation to Kuta at 200,000 IDR for each person (that was super expensive, the reasonable price should be~ 100,000), we refused and then asked other staff for shuttle bus booking when he was absent. On the day we left, this manager asked us to wait for the shuttle bus at the entrance, the bus will come to pick up us at 10:30am. However, we waited for more than 15 mins and then saw 2 shuttle buses passed the hotel entrance without stopping! Then I asked him to confirm the booking, he then asked me to take a taxi to the shuttle bus office! Of course we didn't take his taxi but took another with the price at 100,000 IDR per person. The taxi driver told us there should be a receipt given to us if the shuttle bus was booked. That meant the manager didn't book that shuttle bus for us, he just wanted us to return for his expensive taxi ride when we found the shuttle buses didn"t come to pick up us.

2. The room was very very dirty. Ants and bugs were all over the room, ants went into the tub when we are taking shower, and some even trap in our toothbrush!!

3. There was running out of toilet paper everyday, they won't give you a new roll if you don't request.

4. the doors were old, we could not open and close them easily, might have damaged them if we didn't ask for help

5. the air conditioner was weak, we felt hot for the whole night. The fan was noisy.

There are many good hotels/ hostels in Ubud, please choose anyone of them besides this one!! Don't waste your money!! Don't let it spoil your trip in Ubud!!

Room Tip: There are many good hotels/ hostels in Ubud, please choose anyone of them besides this one!! Don'...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends