“Best hotel in Bali!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 172 Hotels in Ubud
San Francisco, California
“Best hotel in Bali!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

We drove in from Seminyak after 3 days on the beach. The staff gave us a warm welcome and took us to the villa. It was grand and the pool was awesome! The views were amazing but peaceful and serene. We felt immediately this was paradise.
The spa is located at the top of the property and has spectacular views and a terrific jacuzzi and steam room not to mention a great staff. Our couples massage included a flower petal bath that was beautifully decorated with frangipanis, roses and local flowers.
We left the kids in the room for a romantic candlelight dinner at the restaurant. We were served a 5 course meal and we were surprised at the sophistication of the dishes. Our kids had great room service. The hotel also brought in balinese dance instructors who gave the kids a private lesson - really authentic experience.

Ubud is very close and the hotel's free shuttle takes you in and picks you up as well until 11 pm. The staff also organized tours and took great care of us. The owner lives on the property and is there all the time. The hotel is grand and yet has only 15 villas. I wish we could find such a place in other countries as we travel 5 or 6 times a year on vacation.

we usually never go back to a destination because we have so many more places to go but we actually considered coming back to the Viceroy next year.

So if you ever go to Bali just book yourself at the Viceroy! You will be happy in paradise!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Muchmoretogo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

My wife and I highly recommend the viceroy. It is the ultimate place for rest and relaxation. I recommend staying in the Deluxe Terrace Villas once the construction is over as they are amazing. We were transferred to the Vice Regal villa due to the construction. The Vice Regal villa was not as modern but had a larger outdoor area with a garden.

The food was great. I definitely recommend the chocolate dessert. We had it everyday.

The service was phenomenal. They responded to our construction complaint very promptly. Although they could not get us an equivalent room, they upgraded our room to a larger room. The drivers were great and very knowledgeable about the area. We didnt have to worry about cabs as the hotel's car service dropped us off and picked us up when we needed them.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

We stayed at the Viceroy Ubud for 8 nights and we hadn't had enough!!!!
The place is set in an excellent location and the villas are designed with every luxurious detail. The staff seems always inclined to serve. The restaurant and the spa are equally excellent.
We would love to go back :)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

We stayed here last week for our honey moon and I have to tell you that this hotel is like heaven on earth. Having stayed in a lot of 5 star accommodation in different parts of the world, this would definately rate as one of the best.

The staff knew us by name, and were always friendly and no request was ever too hard. It is a credit to the hotel to have such lovely friendly staff.

The views were breath taking and you always felt like you had total privacy at all times.

The rooms were immaculate and were cleaned and restocked on a daily basis.

The resteraunt. OMG where do you start. The food was some of the best food I think that I have ever eaten. The degustation menu is definately worth trying and the service is immaculate. I have read a few comments about the price of the food, but I believe that you get what you pay for.

The only one dissapointment we had with the Viceroy is that we had to leave.

Definately worth coming and staying. You will not be disappointed!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

My stay at Viceroy in Ubud Bali was the the thing I was expecting! As a boutique hotel must , Viceroy gave me a chance to live in a nice villa which provided calm and relaxation wih the small pool and terrace. The quality of service and state of the facilities are superb. I enjoyed both my privace and a wonderful communication with the owners, a very distinguished family. It was both respectful and friendly at the same time. The service is very effective and polite. The villas are great. The hotel has its own shuttle which can take you to Ubud for shopping or to a restaurant, making it very simple to reacht the city. I was taken to the local market - and it was a great trip where my driver helped me as an enterpereter and showed me around. I was happy to tip for this!
As a person who wanted asian food in Asia was slightly disappointed during breakfast or at the restaurant because it was more of a european cuisine. I would prefer it to be more authentically asian. I personally prefer buffet for breakfast which is not available at Viceroy, but this is my personal food habit. Other than that everything was perfect.
In a word - it is great place for a love couple who want to stay far from parties and crowd.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

This is my 2nd time staying in Ubud. Viceroy had made my 6 trip pleasant. Let me share with u the pros and Cons.(I am checking out in a couple of hours, still in my comfy bed in viceroy)
Pros-
1. When I emailed them directly, they were very quick to respond... In fact they immediaty offer me a package that included a dinner for 2 ,a 2hr Spa Package for 2, small bottle of Moet, and VIP immigration services and airport transfers. The offer was quite irresistible, so I book the new Delux Terrace Villa.
2. At the airport, our names we held at the end of the airbridge before immigration, our passports were stamp bypassing all queues that's great, except that we were greeted by only one officer but he had to attend to another family as well, so even though we pass the queue and collected our luggages, we had to wait around for 10mins or so to clear customs with the family which was really unfair as the officer paid full attention to them while we were neglected, we even had to look for him. Viceroy driver came promptly later and pick us up gave us cold towels and water which was great, we even manage to stop at Ibu Oka 2 on our way to the hotel, excellent!
2. When we check in we realize we r upgraded to Vice Regal villa, one tier above what we paid for. The room was in good condition, some tired furniture, but overall in ok condition.
3. The Spa is Excellent... We had 2 massages there and they were great but the spa was a little noisy u could hear people talk n walking around, so I strongly recommend that u request it to be done in yr villa.
4. Somedays they service was good. Somedays average. Really depends who's on shift to pick up yr call. Sometimes I have to keep reminding them to bring in more bottles water as I need it for my medication... Somedays they need to be reminded.
5. The restaurant staff was fabulous and the food's Excellent! All of them were really attentive n well trained, they even prepared us a special local menu on our last night cos we were to lazy to move.

Now the Cons
1. I have ranidaphobia(frog phobia), there are like 3 resident frogs here , so I didn't dare swim during the night, they only come out in the night.... And many colourful mid size iguanas as well... The landscaping outside is just very dated with random pots n ferns and an old tree... There's also not much of a view here compares to Kupu Kupu Barong and four seasons which was about the same rate.
2. I already mentioned about the inconsistent service here... Only the restaurant didn't let me down.
3. I will recommend this hotel if u are not into great views cos the rooms r definitely more modern... Really wish the staff would have done something about the frogs but they just say they will not harm me and I really had a hard time time explaining to them about my phobia so I just didn't go out of my room
during the night after 2 nights of explanation.

• Stayed February 2011
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

My wife and I had one of the more personal and romantic stays at this hotel over New Years. The spa is very well done and not to be missed. The food at Cascades is good for dinner, not great, but the inclusive breakfast (get the benedict) with fresh squeezed juices and local coffee is outstanding.

We did have one hang up, which was actually mentioned in a separate review, and that was the construction of two new villas on the property. Management responded stating that it was to be completed end of summer but this was simply not the case. We really enjoyed our stay and loved the two owners, who are actually onsite checking in on your stay throughout, but the noise from the work next door was overwhelming and took away from the tranquility of the setting.

We want this hotel to expand so more people can experience it, but knowing that the Christmas - New Year run is one of the busiest of the year, we couldn't understand why ownership wouldn't hold off construction a few weeks thereby completing it in the low season.

Overall this is a wonderful place to call home for a few nights with a friendly staff and ownership.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
The Kayon Resort
#3 of 172 in Ubud
5.0 of 5 stars 415 reviews
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Komaneka at Monkey Forest

Been to Viceroy Bali? Share your experiences!