“High expectations.....exceeded!”

Ranked #10 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Adelaide, Australia
“High expectations.....exceeded!”
Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

Within minutes of arrival I knew we had made the right choice.

The awards for Best Small Luxury Hotel in Asia and Best Luxury Hotel of Bali hanging in reception seem well-deserved.

Terrace Villa; luxurious AND spectacular. You pay for the best and that's what you get.

Al a carte breakfast was divine. Extra entree; no problems! Filled us up.

Spending a day on the grounds of the hotel was beautiful and relaxing.
Taking the on-call shuttle into Ubud was easy and effective for getting around.

Staff were discreet and respectful. One thing that was a little strange, on one night as we were getting ready for dinner the staff came to perform the evening turn-down while we were in the Villa. Uncomfortable, but only briefly. On other nights they always seemed to time it perfectly to coincide with us being out of the room.

If the main pool and the villa pool were a couple of degrees warmer it would've been absolutely perfect. Ah, if only. There's nothing like spending hours in a warm pool. Was unfortunate that 10mins in either pool was about all we could handle.

I've read some negative reviews of Cascades restaurant and I can't understand them as our experience was perfect. Yes it's not cheap but it's true 5 star dining and a great experience. Just forget the bill, after all, it's a holiday and a true Bali luxury escape.

We'll see you again Viceroy. Flights booked already for 2015.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Adelaide
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff
Amazing food (pricey but it is worth it)
The views are amazing from everywhere you look
I saw monkeys while I was having breakfast with my husband
It's not walking distance from the centre of Ubud and there is nothing around the hotel for you to eat or shop but they offer a shuttle car service at your request anytime until 11pm they pick you up from the hotel and back at the time you wish so that's very convenient. The breakfast is not the traditional buffet breakfast as you order from the menu but you can eat as much as you want you just need to order what you want and they bring it to you. If you don't feel like waiting at the restaurant they charge $5 and take the breakfast to your room. This place is the best from the best is bali. The only thing is the pool it is freezing cold so sadly I couldn't enjoy it as much and the pool from my villa was cold too :( this place would be 100% perfect just with heated pools other than that nothing else to fault. I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed August 2014
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Amazing city with very kind and beautiful people, amazing nature!
The hotel is located near Ubud city but in a real quiet area, the stuff was paying us so much attention, they really wanted for us to be pleased about everything.
We had a private infinity pool, the food was great, the massage services awesome!
I really didn't have a thing that i could dislike.
We had a very nice driver -Ayan, you can ask about him at the reception.

Room Tip: the ones with private infinite pool are really great!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andreea S
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 15, 2014

The Viceroy is in the most beautiful setting and is amazingly luxurious. We felt completely relaxed within moments of arriving. The villas are beautifully furnished and immaculate, and the Balinese art and sculptures add a special touch. The Australian owners were very friendly and welcoming, and went out of their way to make our time at The Viceroy very enjoyable. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 13, 2014

WOW. This place is just epic and sublime. My husband and I stayed at The Viceroy for 4 nights during our recent honeymoon in Bali and we were just in awe. From the moment we arrived, we knew we had come somewhere special. The property is lush and full of artistic details. And the views are incredible no matter where you are. We stayed in a Deluxe Terrace Villa and it was just splendid. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom/shower experience was luxurious, and the private heated infinity pool with views of the jungle was GLORIOUS. We followed our stay with two other reputable luxury hotels, but none came close to the level of service, competence, value, and attention to detail. The food and drinks at Cascades were also lovely...we had wonderful breakfasts, dinners, etc. We also had a heavenly couples spa treatment. I would endure another 26 hour journey from the US in a heartbeat to come back to the Viceroy. Thank you for making our honeymoon something incredible!

Room Tip: The Deluxe Terrace Villa was amazing!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Allison W
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2014

This hotel is amazing in every aspect possible! From the moment I was picked up at the airport to the moment I left the hotel, I could not have asked for more. The villas are luxurious, clean and quiet! The owners are Australian and always happy to have a chat and make sure you are being spoilt! Staff are also friendly and very helpful. I have done a lot of travelling in Indonesia and stayed at the a lot of the best hotels, but the Viceroy is by far my favourite. My last stay at the Viceroy was my third visit and I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: Every villa is amazing!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TommyBainbridge
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2014

We stayed at the Viceroy as a break from the Villa we rented in Jimbaran .... I am so pleased we made the effort to visit Ubud and the Viceroy....a wonderful reprieve from surf central!

I am always slightly cautious when taking our 5 year old to hotels that are so slanted towards romantic couples but there was nothing to worry about. The Villas are extraordinary.... due to being so popular we had two different rooms on our visit. The first was the Garden Villa (1650 sf) ... very luxurious, with an indoor plunge pool, which was a huge hit with our daughter. we then moved up two categories to a Deluxe Terrace which was the same size but newer with a different layout....and of course, equally as enjoyable.

The food is also noteworthy, there is well produced local dishes but the european cuisine is worth considering. My wife had fish, my daughter chicken and I had a medley of local dishes...all very good. We were not drinking but there was an extensive wine list and cocktail menu. Breakfast is prepared or cooked fresh, so may take a little longer than a normal buffet. However, the food is delivered when ready, so if you want your fruit first, order your eggs when the water melon and mango arrives.

The whole place has been carefully designed by the owner, Otto and his wife, Margaret. It is a well run family business which has the benefit of having the owners eye being on site....but not in an obtrusive way. Their daughter (Amanda) was a huge help with our short trip.. her suggestions and ideas maximised our stay. If time is of the essence, I would recommend the services of a guide. We used Putu from mikeputubalitour@hotmail.com

I wish we had stayed an extra night and travelled to the volcano and lakes a little further north.

I wish the Syrowatka Family all the best for the future.

NB ... If you are in search of some healthy eating options I would suggest Clear Cafe which offers some quite unique vegan, raw and fish food and juices.

Room Tip: All the villas are good and secluded, perhaps the ones on the lowest level may have a slightly bette...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kevin H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
The Kayon Resort
Villa Saraswati
Villa Saraswati
#11 of 199 in Ubud
Jamahal Private Resort & SPA

Been to Viceroy Bali? Share your experiences!