“Yeah...this place!”
Review of Viceroy Bali

Viceroy Bali
Ranked #11 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

My beautiful wife and I came here for our honeymoon and I have to say this place is the perfect Honeymoon resort for any couples that want to have an amazing romantic experience in the comfort and security within Ubud, Bali. The staff were outstanding, respectful and friendly. The Terrace Villa rooms were perfectly fine for us and the Cascades Restaurant was superb fine dining. My wife and I have been to many Viceroy resorts across the marble and we have to say this met our expectations. We are off to St Regis Bali to see if they can beat it! Thank you Viceroy Bali!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Viceroy Bali

Reviewed June 5, 2014

I have just had the most beautiful 3 nights at the Viceroy Bali with my sister and 4 of our cousins. Wow did they look after us! From our first walk down those steps into the resort, we knew we were in for a treat! Our accommodation was magnificent, truly first class and the resort was absolutely beautiful. The breakfasts were amazing, served by dedicated and friendly staff. The pool, the lounge, the boutique and the grounds were simply superb. This resort is run by a very professional and friendly family. Nothing is too much trouble for any of the staff at the resort. Our drivers were informative and friendly, particularly the girls' favourite, Mr Obama. We explored Ubud and went to some lovely restaurants during our stay, so my only regret was not dining at the wonderful restaurant in the Viceroy, we simply ran out of time - I will just have to return one day.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Joghols
Reviewed June 1, 2014

The Viceroy Bali is a very, very nice resort near Ubud and I am tempted to give it a 5-star rating... but as a solo traveler I must give it 4 stars. This is a very romantic honeymoon resort on a safe, private compound. Even the lowest-tier Garden Villas are absolutely stunning. The dining at Cascades Restaurant is superb. The staff is friendly and attentive. But they're just not quite sure what to do with a solo traveler. Perhaps this could be a future opportunity for the Viceroy? A mixer promotion for like-minded single travelers? I would return for that.

The town of Ubud can be rather hectic and although it is definitely worth seeing, it is nice to return to the quiet and luxurious calm of the Viceroy at the end of the day. There is nothing wrong with sitting by the pool all day, either. I enjoyed that one day, writing in my journal and sipping cocktails.

The dining is really a highlight. The executive chef (a Belgian fellow) has really honed his craft. Whether you choose the Indonesian sampler, the Degustation menu, or individual entrees, you are in for a real treat.

It's hard to imagine that there is a nicer resort than the Viceroy in Ubud. If you are a couple looking for a romantic getaway, look no further.

Room Tip: It's hard to go wrong. As mentioned above, even the lowest-tier Garden Villas are completely lux...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank BoulderWorldTraveler
Reviewed June 1, 2014

The genius of this hotel is how the architect has used the location on the side of a valley to create stunning public areas and for all the rooms uninterrupted views and great privacy.

This is a small luxury retreat hotel and it fulfils the role beautifully. Staff are excellent and nothing is too much trouble. I particularly liked the hotel providing what amounts to a free taxi service around the local area. The management have very wisely decided not to sweat the small stuff (which annoys luxury travellers) and make sure you are provided with bottled water/milk/coffees/loads of towels etc without any aggravating extra charges..

Restaurant is very decent with a relatively small selection of dishes at reasonable prices considering the quality. High tea in the afternoon is done very nicely.

This is not a family focussed hotel it's more a romantic couples place but the staff were very kid friendly and took the time to help entertain our energetic 6 year old, making paper birds/planes and even helping him fly a home-made kite with local kids.

I can't imagine anyone being disappointed by a visit here.

Room Tip: We had the cheapest room type "Garden Suite" and were delighted with it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank talk2mrjones
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We went to the Viceroy in Ubud for our honey moon, and I have to say it was one of the most fantastic experiences i have ever had.

First, the Lobby experience is so unique that you can't help but be awe-struck from the second you enter the hotel. A buggy then takes you to your villa, we stayed in a 1-bedroom villa with a private pool. The villa itself is beautiful, spacious and retains the cozy element. The view from the villa is phenomenal, I cannot recommend it enough!

The staff are so extremely helpful and nice. Anything you need, they are there to help. the hotel also provides shuttles into ubud, which is an amazing town/city with lots to see and do. the shuttles are, of course, nice luxurious vans that seat up to 6 people. the hotel is very quite, so don't expect your shuttle to be filled with people.

The hotel also has a wonderful restaurant, which were we chose to have our breakfast every day right next to the superb pool with the jaw-dropping view. the food is fantastic, I implore you to at least dine once there.

our trip to Bali was fantastic, we stayed in several hotels throughout our stay .. but i have to say the Viceroy takes the cake home.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BaselAnabtawi
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This resort was a hidden treasure. I was very surprised when we found this stunning resort in the small town of Ubud. The villa 6 was gorgeous. We had a massive bed with romantic netting. We we're on our honeymoon and they'd set up roses and candy for us. The bathroom, pool and day bed are all open to the outdoors but our bedroom was enclosed with air conditioning and living area where we had breakfast in the morning. The food was great but a bit pricey so we didn't eat there often. But the staff is wonderfully friendly and accommodating and speak English very well. It was a heavenly honeymoon.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We just got back from an around the world honeymoon and the Viceroy Bali was our chosen hotel in Ubud. My choice for this hotel came solely on other reviews of the hotel. It was a great choice for a romantic location in Ubud.

We had the hotel driver pick us up at Denpasar. He arrived in a traditional Balinese outfit. He was a lovely chap and taught us about Balinese culture on the 1.5 hr drive to the hotel. Arriving at the hotel, the staff were just as friendly as Kadek.

The property is on the side of a hill looking into lush landscape. It is really breathtaking. My favorite view was from the restaurant, The Cascades. When deciding on what room to reserve, I went back and forth between the garden vs the deluxe terrace. In the end, we decided the garden suite looked beautiful. Either way, these rooms are fantastic. They are huge- I mean as large as our home in the USA. With equally large outdoor space as indoor space. They are equipped with many details. The staff prepared a fresh rose bath for us, twice, during our stay. Really this hotel is everything you can dream about. As a mosquito magnet, this hotel must do a great job of spraying because I didn't have a problem at all- even in the pool at night. This hotel only has 25 rooms, so the service is exemplary. The gym is wonderful and they have a nice library of books and dads, for a night in.

Coming from my discerning foodie husband, "Cascades was the best breakfast I've ever had." They include a three course breakfast as part of the night stay. The dinner was also wonderful at Cascades, but on the expensive side. We chose to eat dinner in the restaurant once, and in our room once. Food was great.

Our one complaint- the spa prices. We were planning to have many spa treatments, but the price was just too much more expensive than going into Ubud. We even went as far as contacting the nearest hotel, which was $30 cheaper than Viceroy. Town prices are $80 cheaper than the hotel prices. During our stay, the spa was empty most of the time, with almost all of the guests couples, I didn't understand why this was the case when I'm sure most were wanting to keep their money at the hotel. I'd be willing to pay a little more than town based on atmosphere, but not 4 times as much. Prices need to be reviewed.

Also, there is a free shuttle to and from the center of Ubud. Great service!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
The Kayon Resort
The Legian Bali
The Legian Bali
#7 of 147 in Seminyak
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to Viceroy Bali? Share your experiences!