“Absolutely Wonderful!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 192 Hotels in Ubud
Melbourne, Australia
“Absolutely Wonderful!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

My partner and I stayed there six days and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay!!
The rooms were very big, very private and romantic. We both had the best sleep at Viceroy! Loved the sheets so much that we even tried finding the exact kind in the shops in town, but no luck

Where does one start with the food. The food was out of this world! We loved getting up each morning to have our breakfast. We loved how it was not a buffet and how it was very fresh and that we could order as much as we wanted. My partner loved the bacon and said it was the best bacon he had ever had. I loved the rice pudding because it reminded me of my Nan’s rice pudding which she was very good at. Each dish at Viceroy I found took me to back to fond memories.

Everything about the hotel was perfect but what made the hotel special for us was the staff. They were always very friendly and helpful! Everyone there was always smiling and polite. We had two drivers who took turns taking us to town and they were very very good drivers and people. (Nova) thank you so much for making our trip to Lovina very smooth. The hotel can arrange their cars to collect you from a place to their hotel or from their hotel to your next destination. We did that both ways and would definitely recommend it as you are collected in royalty style and welcomed the same way.

Thank you everyone at Viceroy for making our trip to Bali so magical and unforgettable.

Chris and Bohenia

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

I had the fortunate pleasure of accompanying my daughther on a travel-writing trip to Bali that included a 3 night stay at the Viceroy, Ubud.
The 5 star resort was luxurious to say the least. Our villa with private infinity pool lacked for nothing and overlooked the jungled valley, emphasizing the peace and tranquility of the surrounding area.
The Cascades restaurant was a gourmet's heaven and the adjoining spa, complete with a 2 hour treatment left us feeling completely relaxed and wanting to stay there forever.
The service from the staff was friendly, welcoming and first class.
I look forward to returning here someday.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Riga, Latvia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

We wanted something special for our recent Bali vacation as it was our anniversary and this was the place to give it to us. We were pampered when we wanted to be and left alone when we wanted to be. The garden villa was great, we both loved the gardens. The Viceroy Bar was also very nice, with a great selection of beverages as well as a great view. Cascades restaurant was also good. We really enjoyed our stay here and will return.

1 Thank Edith G
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Viceroy for our honeymoon in November 2012. The grounds of the property were absolutely beautiful, everything was made of marble. The villa we stayed in was gorgeous and our balcony had the floating gazebo above the private pool. The views from the balcony was the jungle and it was stunning, you can hear birds and monkeys playing in the trees. Breakfast buffet was very good. Hotel was very quiet and we hardly saw the other guests. Price wise however, we felt it was a little overpriced, especially since we saw how far the US dollar can really go in bali. The center of the city was probably a 10 min cab ride from the hotel. I recommend renting a scooter in the city and checking out the sites in ubud!

Room Tip: Get the villa with the floating gazebo.
2 Thank am33dandy19
Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

We really enjoyed our honeymoon at the Viceroy Bali in Ubud. The staff were very welcoming, friendly and helpful throughout our stay, with good attention to detail. On arrival we were offered an upgrade to a larger apartment, which was such a lovely surprise. It was luxurious, with its own pool and pagoda, kind size bed and spacious living space (you are not overlooked at all). The hotel itself has fantastic views across the forest and a very attractive infinity pool. We enjoyed breakfast, lunch and dinner at the hotel and all food was up to a high standard. We did wish, however that there were more Balinese dishes on the dinner menu (although it was clear that the restaurant was predominantly French). We enjoyed a special night at the hotel which showcased Balinese dancers and a great menu, which was a highlight.

Other highlights included a free shuttle service to and from Ubud (a great cultural town with lots of restaurants and craft shops), free bike hire so that we could explore rural Ubud from the hotel (got lots of great photos of the paddy fields, etc), petal bath on our last night and the cocktails (Lychee Martini was a favourite). We couldn't recommend this hotel enough to you if you are looking for a luxurious honeymoon with an exclusive feel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CharlotteMcE
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

I feel a bit bad not giving the guys at The Viceroy 5 stars but I've just seen the bill on my Amex.

Fantastic hotel that you could just never leave. The restaurant was fantastic and the chef superb - coming to see us at the end of our meal and asking if there was anything in particular we would like to eat could we let them know in the morning. The breakfasts were great. The staff were lovely and the custom tour was superb.

It was bloody expensive though!

1 Thank DrDougster
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

where to start …

My wife and I wasted 2 precious night at this overrated hotel.

We arrived at the hotel after a night at Kayu Manis Private villas in Nusa Dua, where we enjoyed and pampered by Kayu Manis's hospitality.

We arrived at the lobby of Viceroy Hotel with the hotel's shuttle, we proceed to the reception, BUT , the first words I received upon my check in was : ' How can i help you?'

Well, we came with your hotel's shuttle to your hotel lobby and the lady receptionist asked me , how can i help you? Well, should i reply her that we came for a job interview ? or should I tell her to rephrase her welcome note to at least : ' Welcome to Viceroy, Mr …'

Luckily the front desk manager, Mr Puca ( if i m not mistaken) was really helpful, in fact , he is the only well trained personal in this overrated 5 stars hotel. He greeted us and we checked into over villa with a little delay.

THE SPA, We took a 2 hours spa treatment, one hour is complimentary from over room package. Base on their website description, this is a world class , out door spa where you could enjoy your treatment open air. Don't worry my friends, if you use the spa you will never enjoy that privilege at all. Indeed , the therapistS, only 2 of them, never even smile during the 2 hours treatment. I m from malaysia , I could understand what they are chatting during our treatment, basically , they are discussing how to charged us for the treatment. I mean, we spend so much money to enjoy our treatment , and what their need to do is concentrate on our treatment and we will pay whatever we should pay, thats is not need to discuss the payment during the treatment, We felt like they frighten that we will not pay them after the treatment.

The treatment is indoor, even though the spa is empty, no other customer, no open air spa treatment. The hotel provides complimentary jacuzzi and sauna, which located within the spa, but you need to make an appointment to use the facilities if they is no other customer using the spa for treatment. To make it short, bad attitude of the staffs and bad treatment, the treatments are costly but you can find better spa in ubud town area which only costed usd 10.

The restaurant, pricey but the food tasted like a fast food restaurant. But I have to say, I did complained the standard of the food to the restaurant manager, a gentlemen from France. He accepts my complain and did deducted the main course of my wife from the final bill, which is a reasonable touch as the food is really terrible. The service, is bad compared with other same standard restaurant. the staffs are not well trained besides a young man Mr Agong.

In Kayu Manis private villas and spa Nusa Dua, all the staffs know your name, including the cleaner, wherever they meet them , they know your name .In viceroy, is completely opposite, 95% of they staff don't know your name, what they knows is smile at you. I mean you have less then 30 villas in your hotel. How hard to remember all your guests' name?

We booked a private tour guide which costed us 160 usd for 8 hours, they price is higher that other hotel i asked e.g. Nusa Dua/ Hanging tree . However , we took the price is fine if we could get a professional tour guide to introduce us around Bali.

On the morning of the tour, we found out that the tour guide is the driver of the hotel shuttle ! and with the hotel shuttle we will be having our tour. Ok , we can still accept that if the driver is professional enough, but the whole trip , what he did was driving the car ! We asked him to bring us to a shop where we could buy local foods as a present to our family. he brought us to a shop, we bought lots of local foods , but found when we reached home that the food are all expired or not in good condition. Bad bad arrangement by the hotel.

Lots more bad experiences during our stay in viceroy. I wished we werent there. The two night we spent there is bad if not horrible.

My opinion is that , they doesn't care about the service, everything there is about money money money. What they want is money, and money only. I don't think they care about review or return customers, their purpose is the to take whatever money they can from the guest.

In Nusa dua the breakfast in our villa is FOC( room rates is 400 USD pernight). in Viceroy they charged USD 5 'delivery fee' to have your breakfast at villa ( room rates is 750 USD). I mean why USD 5 ? I wouldn't be so upset if u charged me 40 USD, but why 5 USD ?

So why the service in Kayu Manis Nusa Dua is so much better then the service in Viceroy ?

My conclusion is Kayu Manis is managed by a chain hotel corporation , where as the viceroy is a family run 'overrated', 'badly manage' , '5 stars' hotel. I wonder anyone in the family have any experience or qualification in hotel management.

Maybe what they have is money , but without any common sense and management skills.

They only purpose to run the hotel is to earn money and not about service , definitely doesn't care about the guests experience in their hotel.

Unless you have plenty of cash to splash for nothing, try avoid this overrated hotel at all cost. they are plenty of hotel around, try Kayu Manis.

Lastly, do not get attracted by the hill side views of this hotel, it is nothing special, just trees and thats it, it doesn't worth a trip .

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Yeennung
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
The Kayon Resort
Jamahal Private Resort & SPA
Amori Villas
Amori Villas
#5 of 192 in Ubud

Been to Viceroy Bali? Share your experiences!