“Amazing at a price”
Review of Viceroy Bali

Viceroy Bali
Ranked #9 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I feel a bit bad not giving the guys at The Viceroy 5 stars but I've just seen the bill on my Amex.

Fantastic hotel that you could just never leave. The restaurant was fantastic and the chef superb - coming to see us at the end of our meal and asking if there was anything in particular we would like to eat could we let them know in the morning. The breakfasts were great. The staff were lovely and the custom tour was superb.

It was bloody expensive though!

1  Thank DrDougster
Write a ReviewReviews (1,104)

Reviewed November 19, 2013

where to start …

My wife and I wasted 2 precious night at this overrated hotel.

We arrived at the hotel after a night at Kayu Manis Private villas in Nusa Dua, where we enjoyed and pampered by Kayu Manis's hospitality.

We arrived at the lobby of Viceroy Hotel with the hotel's shuttle, we proceed to the reception, BUT , the first words I received upon my check in was : ' How can i help you?'

Well, we came with your hotel's shuttle to your hotel lobby and the lady receptionist asked me , how can i help you? Well, should i reply her that we came for a job interview ? or should I tell her to rephrase her welcome note to at least : ' Welcome to Viceroy, Mr …'

Luckily the front desk manager, Mr Puca ( if i m not mistaken) was really helpful, in fact , he is the only well trained personal in this overrated 5 stars hotel. He greeted us and we checked into over villa with a little delay.

THE SPA, We took a 2 hours spa treatment, one hour is complimentary from over room package. Base on their website description, this is a world class , out door spa where you could enjoy your treatment open air. Don't worry my friends, if you use the spa you will never enjoy that privilege at all. Indeed , the therapistS, only 2 of them, never even smile during the 2 hours treatment. I m from malaysia , I could understand what they are chatting during our treatment, basically , they are discussing how to charged us for the treatment. I mean, we spend so much money to enjoy our treatment , and what their need to do is concentrate on our treatment and we will pay whatever we should pay, thats is not need to discuss the payment during the treatment, We felt like they frighten that we will not pay them after the treatment.

The treatment is indoor, even though the spa is empty, no other customer, no open air spa treatment. The hotel provides complimentary jacuzzi and sauna, which located within the spa, but you need to make an appointment to use the facilities if they is no other customer using the spa for treatment. To make it short, bad attitude of the staffs and bad treatment, the treatments are costly but you can find better spa in ubud town area which only costed usd 10.

The restaurant, pricey but the food tasted like a fast food restaurant. But I have to say, I did complained the standard of the food to the restaurant manager, a gentlemen from France. He accepts my complain and did deducted the main course of my wife from the final bill, which is a reasonable touch as the food is really terrible. The service, is bad compared with other same standard restaurant. the staffs are not well trained besides a young man Mr Agong.

In Kayu Manis private villas and spa Nusa Dua, all the staffs know your name, including the cleaner, wherever they meet them , they know your name .In viceroy, is completely opposite, 95% of they staff don't know your name, what they knows is smile at you. I mean you have less then 30 villas in your hotel. How hard to remember all your guests' name?

We booked a private tour guide which costed us 160 usd for 8 hours, they price is higher that other hotel i asked e.g. Nusa Dua/ Hanging tree . However , we took the price is fine if we could get a professional tour guide to introduce us around Bali.

On the morning of the tour, we found out that the tour guide is the driver of the hotel shuttle ! and with the hotel shuttle we will be having our tour. Ok , we can still accept that if the driver is professional enough, but the whole trip , what he did was driving the car ! We asked him to bring us to a shop where we could buy local foods as a present to our family. he brought us to a shop, we bought lots of local foods , but found when we reached home that the food are all expired or not in good condition. Bad bad arrangement by the hotel.

Lots more bad experiences during our stay in viceroy. I wished we werent there. The two night we spent there is bad if not horrible.

My opinion is that , they doesn't care about the service, everything there is about money money money. What they want is money, and money only. I don't think they care about review or return customers, their purpose is the to take whatever money they can from the guest.

In Nusa dua the breakfast in our villa is FOC( room rates is 400 USD pernight). in Viceroy they charged USD 5 'delivery fee' to have your breakfast at villa ( room rates is 750 USD). I mean why USD 5 ? I wouldn't be so upset if u charged me 40 USD, but why 5 USD ?

So why the service in Kayu Manis Nusa Dua is so much better then the service in Viceroy ?

My conclusion is Kayu Manis is managed by a chain hotel corporation , where as the viceroy is a family run 'overrated', 'badly manage' , '5 stars' hotel. I wonder anyone in the family have any experience or qualification in hotel management.

Maybe what they have is money , but without any common sense and management skills.

They only purpose to run the hotel is to earn money and not about service , definitely doesn't care about the guests experience in their hotel.

Unless you have plenty of cash to splash for nothing, try avoid this overrated hotel at all cost. they are plenty of hotel around, try Kayu Manis.

Lastly, do not get attracted by the hill side views of this hotel, it is nothing special, just trees and thats it, it doesn't worth a trip .

3  Thank Yeennung
Reviewed November 17, 2013

The most beautiful and peaceful place I have ever stayed in in Bali. The location is amazing and the staff could not do enough to ensure my stay was perfect. I enjoyed a spa treatment which is a must, and the meals at Cascades Restaurant are to die for. I highly reccommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Book a deluxe pool villa - the private pool overlooking the valley is pure luxury.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The Viceroy Bali is the most beautiful Hotel I have ever stayed in. Mu husband and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and this was the perfect location. I have done a lot of travelling and visited many places around the world, but this hotel by far has to be one of the most magical places I have had the privilege of staying in. The privacy, tranquility and over all experience is truly perfect if you are in need of relaxation and pampering.
Each and every detail of this amazing hotel is a credit in so many ways.
The hotel has everything you could need, and your stay can be tailored to suit any wish or requirement.
The restaurant offers exquisite cuisine, the spa offers beautiful treatments my massage was unbelievable.
The rooms have high speed wireless Internet through out the property, access to a gym, my own private pool and oasis, and complimentary shuttle service to and from Ubud.
The hotel is safe, secure, and pure luxury a must see for anyone traveling to Bali or wanting to experience a holiday you will never forget.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Pool Terrace Villa.
1  Thank CHEROKEEWW
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This hotel is exceptional. The rooms are stunning and very private - perfect for a couple's retreat. The staff go out of their way to provide exceptional service. The restaurant is amazing with the best breakfast in Bali. My only regret would be not getting a terrace villa because not all of the villas directly overlook the valley.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2013

...Took my wife here for her 50th 'surprise' birthday treat. In short summary i got this one right & lots of bonus brownie points.
I can't fault the place, great location, great food, great accomodation amplified with lots of smiles from great staff. I am not surprised to see so many good reviews and look forward to returning. If i was being supercritical the ambience of the spa could be improved, but still the massage was great. Highly recommended if you want a special break.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I will keep this short as most reviews mention how superb the Viceroy is :-). We have stayed at many 5 star boutique resorts in bali, this being the most recent. With out doubt the experience my partner and I had here simply second to none. What made the difference was the sheer fact that the staff were absolutely amazing. Everyone from reception to the buggy cart drivers, the gardeners to the shuttle service drivers were so friendly they just made you want to stay longer! So knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile. Yes the resort was beautiful, the views awe inspiring, the rooms to die for, the food impeccable, grounds amazing but the people and staff really made an effort to make you feel ULTRA Special. This simply doesnt happen at the big resorts. The Viceroy is a small boutique resort with a small number of elegantly designed rooms designed for intimate settings and to escape. You certainly dont come to Viceroy if youre looking for thousands of people by the poolside, loud music and alcohol induced shenanigans! Before we go, a HUGE shout out and thanks to Gama a fantastic shuttle driver and Bali historian historian extraordinaire! A resort well worth the money.

• Stayed: November 2013