“Speechless view from our bed”

Black Penny Villas Ubud
Ranked #32 of 598 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Reviewed March 8, 2014

After c/I process,we knew that this is the place that we're looking for.
The view from inside our villa is overlooking the private pool, forest and mount batur, it was tremendous. The pool size simply perfect for couple.
In addition you can see Ayung river while you are relaxing on the edge of the pool. We can walk down to Ayung river. The path was steep and uphill to go there however it pays with the fresh air.
The view made us want to buy our villa but that's impossible.
The service was good for a new born property we can feel that they are trying their best.

Room Tip: For more privacy, request a room with no.8,9 or 10
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mi-171112

Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

It was the first visit to Ubud for my partner and I, and after extensive days and nights online researching for a place to stay, we finally decided on the Black Penny.
Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly by the manager and completed a brisk check in process with the receptionist, who was gracious and friendly. During our stay, the same receptionist was also extremely helpful and knowledgeable and booked our activities and dinners for us with spot on recommendations.
The rooms were beautiful beyond words could describe..WOW! and most importantly always kept spotlessly clean. Waking up to the view of the hills before us and the rivers beneath just sets the mood for the day. The star studded skies and sounds of nature in the nights was also amazing, with a cool breeze that's a refreshing change to the 10 humid days in Bali.
Food and beverage was always delivered promptly, and the waiters were extremely professional, especially the tiny Balinese ladies, considering they had to carry trays up and down flights of thick heavy steps!
Transportation to and from Ubud centre was arranged with ease, and the drivers would always pick us up on time from the restaurants every evening.
Being a new property, the Black Penny has delivered an unforgettable experience at all levels. The only recommendation would be to provide 24 hour assistance as I was unwell late one evening and there was no one at the desk to provide assistance. We are already looking forward to our next visit and would not hesitate to recommend the villas to our family and friends.
Thanks to all at your fabulous property!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

Love staying here. From the welcome drinks and finger food on arrival to the breathtaking villas. Amazing. Friendly staff, always there to help in anything you need. The peacefulness, the pool, the bed, the drinks and food. A place to stay for a couple for a few nights in Ubud.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 3, 2014

For my first trip to Bali, I researched and looked at tons of photos. It took me 2 months to decide on a hotel because I was determined to have a room with a view and an infinity pool but not pay obscene prices.

What you get at Black Penny Villas is nothing short of Paradise!!

There were not many reviews on the villas when I first booked and so I went out on a limb based on the pictures that were posted and the fact that I was exhausted by searching. It was the best decision I could have made. When you walk into your room, your mouth just drops. The view is breathtaking from any of the villas. The villas are placed up the side of a mountain hill so that every villa gets a view, the farther down the stairs you go, the better your view will be.

The property is fairly small so the staff remembers you. I was greeted every morning at breakfast -- and around 11, you can catch the free hotel shuttle into Ubud center. When I would return from my day out, Gupti (sp?), would greet me (by my name!!) at the entrance, and ask about my day and see if there was anything I needed. While all of the staff were amazing, she truly made my stay what it was! I have never had such outstanding service or felt so welcome. Also, be sure to also check out the Dance (Thursdays and Sundays I believe?? I could be wrong) But there is a show consisting of a story with some Dance. Its a very enjoyable way to end your evening and I loved that the hotel offered that!

I was travelling alone, but did have a friend who was travelling through Bali, who disliked her place and ended up staying with me. The staff was just as welcoming to her! This place is secluded, so its great for couples, however, as a solo traveler just trying to get away from noise, it was exactly what I needed.

I plan to visit Bali again and absolutely will return to Black Penny!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Michelle G
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

We booked Black Penny after seeing just the images online and the villa didn't disappoint. The view was mesmerising and the staff very courteous. On more than one occasion they went out of their way to help us - from booking our fast-boat transfer to Lombok, to preparing a breakfast box to go - the service was exemplary.

The villa is very close to central Ubud and the reception will help you in hiring a bike. E did not manage to explore everything or take part in all the activities, so we left with a quiet determination of returning soon. And, when we are back in Ubud, it's definitely going to be at Black Penny.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ajayd81
Reviewed February 28, 2014

The villa was amazing, beautiful view overlooking the river but a bit of a climb to breakfast. Its 15 minutes out of Ubud so its a place to go for romance, somewhere to stay but not to leave!!!! to often....

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We were fortunate enough to stay in one of the bottom villas with an uninterrupted view of the rice fields and Ayung River. We were extremely well looked after by all the staff, who greeted us each day by our first names and ensured everything that we required was catered for. Tours and shuttle services were also organised with ease.

We were afforded the privacy that such a resort embodies, and appreciated the additional assistance provided by the staff when our luggage did not arrive from Australia. The in-house breakfast is wonderfully opulent and varied - the homemade juices are devine! The dinner menu is also quite good. The only issues with room service is that all meals are made for one delivery, so order seperately if you want starters and mains. The cocktail menu is simple but the mojitos are fabulous, especially the ginger mojito.

The reception is 24hr with additional security staff after hours as well. Even with our late arrival to the resort the staff were as welcoming as always, walking us to our villa and providing an overview of the amenities. If you do want an airport shuttle ensure you have appropriate confirmation from the resort staff as our shuttle wasn't waiting for us at the airport, but for us this was not a huge issue and a Blue-taxi was about 100,000Rp less.

Lovely resort, would definately go back!

Room Tip: Villas down the bottom of the resort (namely, 9 & 10) are completely unseen from the hotel resta...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple