“Beautiful, but remote”

Natura Resort and Spa
Ranked #106 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed April 14, 2014

The setting of Natura is unlike any of the other resorts, which are part of the city of Ubud. Natura is in the countryside, cut into a cliff, with two swimming pools that are so much part of the forest that you can lean over the side and stare into wilderness. If you're an eco-tourist, this is the place for you. You get a massage in a wood cabin, and later soak in a beautiful tub that juts over a cliff full of coconut palms.

If you're a city-person, you can start to get annoyed by the leaves in the pools, the bugs everywhere, or the tree-frogs that visit you at dinner.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Radha N

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We came back to Natura after a wonderful stay 3 years ago. Still a lovely peaceful place to stay and staff are helpful and attentive. Shuttle bus to Ubud is useful as the resort isn't within walking distance of Ubud. Room number 12 is best if you want total privacy and plunge pool, room 11 is closer to the hotel dining area, not noisy but not so private. Rooms are spacious and cool, beds comfortable and complete with insect nets although insects weren't a problem during our visit.

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank CFbonsai
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We stayed at Natura for 3 nights. We booked direct with the Resort and all email communication was prompt. The resort is beautiful with amazing views. We requested villa 12 from previous reviews and it did not disappoint. The bed and pillows were comfortable and the room was cleaned well each day. The bathroom is huge! Staff are very friendly although a lot of them have limited English. The resort supplied us with a lovely baby cot which had a mosquito net.

Breakfast is nice although limited in choice...also very slow. We arrived at the restaurant at 7am (open from 7 for Breakfast) on our last day as we were being picked up at 8am. The restaurant wasn't even open yet, when I got to the lobby to find out what was happening, the staff were all talking!! I told them we were in a hurry. We then didn't get our scrambled eggs until 7:40. Pretty unreal. Hubby also complained of 'warm beer' with lunch.

The safe is not bolted in so I did feel uneasy leaving our belongings in there...as anyone could just walk out with it!

The wild monkeys coming into our private courtyard were one of the highlights...amazing!!! The jacuzzi was lovely and warm.

The spa (down about 150 steps) is very expensive so as much as I wanted to try it, I didn't.

The shuttle into town is handy and very much needed. On one occassion they were 30 minutes late picking me up which was annoying as I was on my own with all the drinking water and my baby on my hip. They don't have the shuttle every hour so it made it tricky when organising meals around little kids.

Overall, I loved the hotel but would only go back with girlfriends, as my husband and kids are more into adventurous things, not relaxing...but it's PERFECT for those wanting to chill out.

Room Tip: Villa's 11 and 12 have the best view
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed here for two nights..and I sincerely think it was a good decision!
Although the location is a bit off beat, its good for those who choose to be at ease! The surroundings offer you extreme calmness, the staff is warm and welcoming.
The food preparation is also very good.
The only disadvantage is that some of the villas do not have complete privacy, like the private villa pools are very visible from across terraces..so is the open air shower area..one may not be comfortable completely with these things..
Also, for the faint-hearted..be careful of lizards and geckos, they are really loud!
The spa location within the resort is fantastic! One should definately make use of it..

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Great place for reflection and relaxation away from the huddle and bustle of reality
Highly recommended with 2 large infinity pools and private pool if u grab those villas
My villa was number 12 and the seclusion and tranquility overlooking the gauge and listening to the mini rapids below while baking in my private pool was bliss, only a few days of that, massage package, was enough to quiet my mind.
Bali massage was decent and hot bath afterwards overlooking the gauge again was sublime on the first day in.
Staff are friendly, their English is not perfect but make the effort cause they are nice people.
Toilet didn't flush all to well but just pour water down while flushing for to push it through.
Bali belly is imminent just with the different foods and germs in bali so plan ahead and take travel tablets to get your bowels ready,
The food is good but don't expect the heavens to open.
During my one breakfast in the open view restaurant, give other patrons also had their breakfast at different times, this was probably the most travellers I came across on my stay-
In total one man, two European couples and a Chinese family with five in their party- so very minimal contact indeed.
Lots of good places to visit in Ubud and Natura has an hourly shuttle that you can utilise and come back on the hour until late so you can plan around.
I hired a driver to take me around on my last to temples and sites including the volcano scenic view where he took me to a nice buffet lunch -restaurant with an awesome view of the land below and mountains surrounding.

Natura organised two drivers for me to and from and both we're very friendly and helpful - highly recommend if you can't be bothered taxiing or hiring scooters which are both cheaper.
When visiting the temples ladies will come up to you as soon as you get out of your car to tell you you must buy a sarong to get into the temples- this is a lie. Just ignore them as much as they are in your face and walk straight to the entrance/ ticketer to view the awesome temple structures and landscapes. You can buy from them on your way out but they lie to try get a buck out of you.

Natura has recent DVD movies you can borrow for free,
Wifi which is not the fastest from any point in my villa or around the pool/ restaurant but it worked with patience and I wasn't going anywhere fast, and was able to watch shows on YouTube etc.

Artini is the manager and speaks the best English and is most helpful to help organise any site seeing and plans for you to assist where needed. Thank you Artini for making my stay most comfortable.

Natura is a place for solidarity and quiet.

About a $35aus tax fee to enter Bali at the airport and similar tax fee
To exit the airport, everything else is pretty straight forward though.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Vita M
Reviewed February 19, 2014

This is the worst resort I have ever stayed in Ubud. It clearly neglected management and maintenance. I chose villa with private pool, the pool is more of a private bathtub that nobody ever cleans, there water is not flowing and the water is so dirty inside--please see my pictures below. The bedsheet was very dirty with so many blackspots I found, and I took many photos of them. The room is big but room shape is wired, the bathroom is big but the toilet doesn't have a door and was open and facing the shower, as well as basin. There are dead bugs inside the toilet and the room, the staff who showed us into the room picked the dead bugs up when he entered, and I picked up another one the next day in the morning! The restaurant was full of flies and there are bugs climbing out of your plates, you cannot even properly sit down and have breakfast.
I have stayed in a 5 star resort in Ubud and it was absolutely beautiful and worth every penny paid of that 500 dollars, I have stayed in a family-chain resort in Ubud which costs only 60 dollars but also very clean and cosy, I have stayed in several small hotels in Ubud center for about 30 dollars and very nice rooms also. I paid for over 200 dollars for this resort and it is absolutely worst value for money and a cheating!

Room Tip: Please make sure you don't choose Villa 7, nor Villa with private pool, that's more of a pri...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Julietzhu
Lala T, Manager at Natura Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear Julietzhu,

Greetings from Natura Resort & Spa!
Thank you for choosing our resort as your holiday destination and for sparing the time to share your valuable feedback.
At the onset kindly accept our apologies for all the inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us. We strive to deliver the best of services to the utmost satisfaction of our guest. However, we sincerely regret that we were not able to live up to your expectations.
Our resorts called Natura is located in a jungle environment, where you finds birds, monkeys, squirrels and sometimes a small bugs, as well in rainy seasons. And the leaves may fall into the plunge pool, I wished you could have dialed our room service for immediate attendance.
We would like to assure you that your much detailed feedback has been discussed with our team members to initiate corrective measures.
It is quite unfortunate on our end that we were not able to deliver a true "Natura holiday experience" during your stay with us; however we would like to reassure your trust in us and would be happy to have you as our guest again.

Warm Regards,

Lala T, Team and Management Natura Resort and Spa

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Situated atop a valley in the jungle and only a short (10 min, complimentary) drive into Ubud, this hotel was far enough away to feel like your own private jungle retreat, yet close and easy enough to get into town. From the moment we arrived until the moment we departed, we hardly ever saw any other guests at the resort. The service was exceptional and the room was spacious and elegantly appointed. The infinity pool was beautiful and just as the photographs show. The restaurant food was good and reasonably priced and the included breakfast was very generous. We had massages from the ambient spa which were lovely, albeit a bit pricey by Bali standards. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in the Ubud area.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends