“Nice garden, that's all”

Arma Museum & Resort
Ranked #86 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Nice garden, that's all”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Garden / outdoor area is beautiful and looks very Balinese, that's what we can say good about the place.

The room has no TV, the explanation from reception was, that guests have to feel how to live Balinese. It seems quite absurd that a hotel to US$ 170 and up does not have a television.
The rooms are filled with cheap chipboard furniture and bathroom looks like a bathroom from a 2 star highway motel.

Beware shuttle service to Ubud center. The hotel makes everything to charge you, if you are a bit out of from the schedule. The hotel charge you without telling you.

The breakfast is very poor.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Peder K
Agung_Rai, General Manager at Arma Museum & Resort, responded to this review, July 12, 2016
Thank you for your constructive comments and we sincerely apologies for inconveniences caused during your stay with ARMA Museum & Resort previously. We are under new management is improving all lines of our services and ensuring you that such experiences will not occur in future. As a different choice and concept we do not provide television in our resort.

Sincerely

Bagus Mustika

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Worth everything we paid. Swam, walked the grounds, ate in all the facilities (and loved everything), did the courses, used the hotel taxis and were welcomed like family by the hotel staff members. Next time we travel to Bali we will be staying here.

Room Tip: One near the pool would be good. Maybe a villa if you have a family(they have their own pools)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were quite intrigued by the concept behind the ARMA - a living museum with rooms.

On the plus side, the grounds are fantastic. It seems that the place is a work in progress, in that they are continuing to enhance the place with additional statues and carvings and enhancements to the gardens, but we did not think that that was inconvenient or a distraction. There are beautiful ponds, bridges, flowers, pathways and carvings everywhere and it is a delight to walk around.

The pool is a good size and very nicely done, with a poolside bar/snack area.

The staff are very welcoming and obliging.

Entrance to the attached museum is free for guests.

The rooms are large, and the attached balcony was huge with a lovely sofa/reclining area and table/chairs, which overlooked the pool.

The location is convenient - the monkey forest is really close by and Ubud town isn't too far a walk at all. The hotel also provides a relatively regular free shuttle bus into town, and for a fee which is not much more than you would pay for a taxi (if you bargain!) they will also take you to other places or pick you up outside of the schedule.

On the down side, the rooms could definitely be improved. They seemed a bit dated - broken tiles on the floor, rooms that don't make the most of the space available, dusty surfaces, loose plugs (and not many of them). Even though we had a double room, they had put two singles together - not an uncommon practice, but the crack in the middle made for a pretty uncomfortable sleep at times!

I agree with other reviewers that insects do find a way to get in! The hotel does provide anti-mozzie plug-in repellents, which are helpful, but if you are squeamish about insects, you should take this into consideration.

The breakfast was also not the best. The fruit was left out in the open air space, and was bug infested - not appetising! There are a la carte options (both Indonesian specialties and eggs) and they were not bad, but overall the breakfast could be improved. We also had dinner at the Thai restaurant on the first night, which was included in the package, and it was fairly disappointing and bland.

In my view, the "big picture" idea of this hotel is really very good, but the fine details need to be improved. For the price (USD125 per night), they could probably do better, although I wouldn't say no to staying there again.

Room Tip: If you can choose a room, ask for one where the balcony is not overlooked.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were at the end of a 2 week tour of Bali & this resort was our last stop. So we were a little travel weary but eager to see Ubud & explore this unique resort. My first impression was not good at all. My room was up several flights of stairs & thank GOD I had a porter to carry my bags as I never would have made it on my own with them. The room was beautiful until I went to shut the door...a spider the size of my palm was sitting on the edge of my door staring me in the eye. Now I am not usually afraid of spiders as I grew up on a very remote farm & spiders helped us keep the other bugs in check, but this one was the biggest I had ever seen. I did the usual scream & jump back, he then ran to the top of the door and into the corner. I did the normal thing to do...I slammed the door about 3 times until I was sure he was gone. Looking at the door with a gap under it and another gap between the 2 doors I charged down to get my room changed. I had noticed that other doors had a little step over and sealed better. Nope, no more rooms!! I was not happy, the woman then grabbed a huge can of RAID & set off for my room. (Obviously this was not the first spider incident they had encountered) Feeling a little more settled I then started to explore. The bathroom was not open air (I was relieved to see after my spider encounter) which I was good with, but there was just a claw footed tub & the shower looked like a telephone receiver, so Navy showers it was for me. We had the hotel driver take us into the city center and he was prompt on pick up & we had no issues.However finding the dining room in the dark for dinner was a challenge! Take a flashlight if you are trying to get there in the dark! It is a walk up several flights of stairs and twists and turns, we only found it because we could smell the food & followed our noses. Mama_Masha was right, the dining room food was excellent, but breakfast...HORRIBLE!! There was a swarm of ants under my coffee cup & all the waitress did was brush most of them away, not appetizing at all. The breakfast was stale & bland I took a pass on most everything. The setting is lovely with the museum right there and lots to look at and explore, but I found the front desk staff not overly helpful or attentive to guests needs.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at ground level if you are not good with stairs, plus the rooms closer to the grou...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Russia, Moscow
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Very strange hotel. There were a lot of things, we didn't like, but in whole we do not regret, we've been there.
We stayed in ARMA Resort in January 2013 with 2 children (4 and 7 years). Here are some our impressions.
The garden is fantastic, the connection with museum - very interesting, the location in Ubud - comfortable (walking distance to monkey forest and city center, plenty of shops and restaurants around).
The hotel's restaurant is very good for dinner, but breakfasts were bad: rich enough, but not tasty…
We didn't like the villa. It was much more expensive, then the room (we rented both), but had less space inside. Very small villa's pool. No privacy at all - our villa faced some utilities, and when I opened my eyes in the morning I saw a man doing something with carbon filters :(
The bathroom is "open air" - that means, that every time, you go to the toilet, you will have a company - a frog, a beetle, a cat, a bird or just some mosquitoes.
And the kid's pool is not safe - there are sharp corners, so our son damaged the foot...

Room Tip: We had a villa and a room - the room was better
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed April 9, 2013

When visiting Bali again, we just have to stay at the Arma resort as well. The warm hospitality, friendly faces and awesome surroundings. Relaxation, open spaces, the most friendly and humble staff. Going back for a second time was like family welcoming you back again. The young trainees were exceptional along with the guidance from the senior staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Arma was perfect for our stay in Ubud. The villa and grounds were amazing! We loved lounging in the gazebo at the edge of the pool and neighbouring rice paddy, and the inside the villa was of a very high standard. Every single time we walked through the gardens we couldn't get over how stunning they were. It's like some kind of lost world full of statues, bridges, waterfalls and fountains. We were also impressed by the museum itself, and the old Balinese artwork. There are two restaurants on the grounds, we only ate at the Thai one near reception, which was very good but pretty empty most of the time. The breakfasts were good, not the best we've had but no complaints, and all of the staff were very polite and courteous. The free shuttle service was very handy, and the drivers very friendly and helpful (shout out to chok dae). The resort itself is located close to the centre of Ubud, so just a quick journey via the shuttle service...but there also seemed to be loads of restaurants and shops closer to the resort.

We loved Ubud itself, definitely our favourite part of Bali. We also did a tour around the temples, volcanoes, coffee plantation and rice paddies....loads of culture and amazing photos. Very cheap to get your own driver for the day!

There's nothing I can really criticise about Arma, if I'm pushing it I'd say our pool was a bit too cold...but that's fine if the weather is scorching hot. We'd definitely come and stay again. It's the perfect place to relax and explore Ubud...we're just sad we couldn't stay longer than 3 days

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple