Lowest prices for your stay
$72
$67
Booking.com$68
eDreams$68
Priceline$73
All reviews monkey forest sister restaurant rice fields central ubud our honeymoon monkeys shuttle villa peace
Selected filters
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Just got back to Oz after 5 nights at AS.... Since my first visit 4 years ago the garden has grown and there is a new pool. What remains the same is the quietness and timelessness of this hotel. The great breakfasts and the unobtrusive staff are the same as I remember... Yes there are insects, rats and noisy frogs.... So what, this is rustic, rural Asia what do you expect!
Also enjoyed a facial and manicure at the spa which was excellent and very reasonably priced..... Needless to say Will have to book soon for next year!

2  Thank laflafs
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I suppose because this place had such great reviews it put my expectations higher. Really there is nothing wrong with it. The grounds are immaculate and the rooms are gorgeous. We stayed in Lumbung House (The Rice Barn) and it was beautiful and only $65 US a night. I think the main problem for us was that we had previously stayed at Saren Indah and the staff there were overwhelmingly wonderful whereas at Alam Shanti they seemed quite disinterested and not overly helpful. The other issue was there seemed to be a scooter track running right past our room, so although you are secreted away in a beautiful rice paddy far from the noise of downtown Ubud you're still kept awake by scooters whizzing past, and the sound of building, as I read in another review, was also going ALL day!
We had room service one night and as the restaurant isn't onsite the food was cold before we got it. Delicious, but cold!
Overall Alam Shanti has a good cover but the content, for me, didn't meet expectation.

Reviewed October 18, 2010

I REALLY hat to write this review because I have worked in the hospitatlity industry for years and I am usually the last to complain.....but, I was really bummed out with me and my husbands stay at alam shanti. We had booked this room 6 months in advance for our honeymoon. After reading the stellar reviews and never had been to bali before we were really excited to stay at this hotel.
When we got to the hotel we were blown away by the grounds, they truly are magnificent! We booked a room in the lower level at the garden house for $65 USD! What a great price. The room was clean and had a huge veranda. The first night we ordered room service, which took a very long time and when we did get it the order was wrong. The next night the hotel was supposed to reserve us a table at Laka Leke for a dance performance, but when we got to the restaurant there was no reservation....we still got a table so it wasnt a huge deal.
The next morning we were woken up to construction being done across the way that went on from 8 am to 4 pm. When I finally cracked and decided to say something to reception I was basically just shrugged off. After a little longer I asked if we could move to another one of their hotels. The only thing available was Kebun Indah.....we were taken to see the hotel which is in a more central location and after way more kindly greeted by the staff at Kebun Indah we decided to move. So glad we did, the room was huge, the staff was outstanding and the location was a bit better for us since you did not have to walk through the monkey forest everyday (really cool, but not an everyday activity:-)
So all in all, I was disappointed in alam shanti. But Kebun Indah saved the day:-)

6  Thank ktrobinson1980
Reviewed October 14, 2010

I stayed at 3 of the nicest hotels in Bali and I must say that Alam Shanti was my favorite part of Bali. The rooms are absolutley gorgeous and come with all of the necessary ameneties. They are spacious and decorated with Hindu and Buddhist touches that add to the overall serenity of the place. Lush, green vegetation is everywhere and the infinity pool is excellent for taking a dip in after wandering around the nearby rice paddys. At night you could hear monks chanting and in the morning you awake to a deliciously tasty breakfast that you chose the night before. The staff are very polite and will help you in any way they can. You get the feeling that they love their job.
Bali is often thought of as paradise but this image can easily be shattered when hanging around some of the more touristy spots. If you're spending the money to travel to Bali, spend a little extra to stay at Alam Shanti where your soul will feel at peace!

Date of stay: December 2009
Reviewed October 13, 2010

I chose the Alam Shanti for part of our Bali vacation. After reading the reviews, I just had to give this gem a try. Thank you , fellow reviewers for pointing us in the right direction. There is nothing more I can add that hasn't been said....excellent service, room (Dewi), grounds and spa. Oh yeah, you will thoroughly enjoy the breakfast on your balcony/patio. We enjoyed our stay so much that our hotel in Sanur paled in comparison. So if your vacation allows it, treat yourself to a stay and relax.

Treated ourselves to a massage at the hotel spa. It may be more expensive than other places but it's right by the pool area, a very friendly atmosphere and afterwards you relax by the pool and take your time. Couldn't do that somewhere else. Besides , dollar-wise, it's cheap! Another point to ponder, how do you know who to trust to do a massage on you?

TIPS:

Want another highlight? Take the Banyan Tree Bike Tour run by Bagi. It's worth every dollar/rupiah. 26 km through potholed streets, rice fields, great company and a wonderful Balinese lunch to finish....where else can you experience this?

Ubud is more touristy than I thought, so prepare yourself for trendy shops and an annoying "taxi ?" offer every other block. Hunt down the Ika Obu behind the Ubud Palace for a local babi guling meal. It's worth the effort. Just follow the signs.

2  Thank SamVancouver