“Breathe, relax and take in the majesty of this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Alam Shanti

Alam Shanti
Ranked #73 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
Sydney, Australia
“Breathe, relax and take in the majesty of this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We were transferred to Alam Shanti from Alam Jiwa because we could only get 2 nights at Jiwa. They walked us to our "room" which was basically a residence with a huge marble floored terrace overlooking a beautiful private garden, complete with orchids, fountain and lotus pond with fish.
We loved the garden and spent time exploring the various natural features, and loved that birds came to visit and fish in the pond, and a local resident cat perched lazily on the steps for a brief visit. The feel of the place is stately antique Balinese.
The room was not huge, but comfortable and the dressing room leading on to the massive bathroom was reminiscent of my grandfather's house in Ipoh which I visited when I was 5. We had the whole lower floor of this 2 storey house, which the pictures I have posted will explain it's overwhelming glory and beauty. We actually didn't have breakfast there, but ordered a meal from the restaurant nearby which was excellent, and had a beautiful evening on the verandah! The staff were wonderful, and very cheerful and laid back, everything no trouble at all. We would come back in a heartbeat, it is a place fitting for this queen and her king! Just amazing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sydneydiner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
AUSTRALIA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Alam Shanti for 2 nights. We were staying in Dewi and we loved this accommodation. Beautiful setting , looking out over gardens and pond. The room has a huge bed with mosquito netting all around. Very comfortable. Dewi is on the upper floor so has a large balcony with daybed and dining area. It is a beautiful spot to sit and have a drink. There is a very nice, spacious bathroom with an oversize marble bathtub. We had arranged a hotel pickup from the airport at a cost of $25US and would recommend this service as it was so convenient and reasonably priced. Breakfast is served on the balcony and there is a choice of eggs, fresh fruit, juice, and nasi goreng available and what we had was good. Coffee is available whenever requested and is delivered to the room. The grounds of Alam Shanti are beautiful. It is such a tranquil place and within a few hours we felt so relaxed. The pool is very nice and we had it to ourselves most of the time. There are a couple of cabanas poolside. The hotel has a spa on site Alam Wangi Spa. I made use of this and was very happy with the treatments I received there. i would definitely recommend the Spa. The only downside to the hotel would be the standard of cleanliness could be stepped up a bit. It is only a minor issue but we felt that the bathroom and toilet areas needed a little attention. However we certainly intend to revisit Alam Shanti but next time would be staying longer. The shuttle service to and from Ubud is excellent. We had dinner at Cafe Wayan in Ubud and asked them to call the hotel to pick us up and they were there within 10 minutes. All of the staff we met were very helpful and efficient. A very enjoyable stay a a beautiful, tranquil resort.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dom&jess
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Our family had our first stay in Alam Shanti (2 adults & 2 kids) and we will be coming back to stay again. The rooms, the staff, the views and the breakfast/afternoon tea were all fantastic. We had Yamuna and would recommend this room (with private pool) to anyone. Great to sit out by the pool and have afternoon tea (Bali Coffee & cake of the day). Also the location is great - short walk through monkey forest to Ubud.

Room Tip: Ask for Yamuna - great balcony & views
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank WilliamsFamilyTrip
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

My more precise rating would be a 4.5 but since that's not possible, it would be closer to a 5 than a 4. First, I would recommend this place especially for stays with a family or group. Because of the generous room sizes and ample grounds, you can really make good use of the space--the verandahs, the covered seating/breakfast areas, the bathroom suite which includes a tub, sink/vanity, closet/dressing area and in some rooms a separate shower, the huge bed and some rooms with additional beds and writing table, plenty of big and small tables, niches and nooks to park your things on. They have several room categories and I would daresay (as a sincere compliment) that the owners/managers are astute enough to price them precisely according to their value, meaning with each price increment, you get a corresponding benefit. You will get what you pay for here in Alam Shanti, IMO. So, if your budget (and their availability) allows you to get the higher category rooms, by all means, pay the extra bucks.
We took the Dewi and Narmada rooms (Up and down would have been ideal for a family but unfortunately, this was not available. Instead, these were about 20 meters away in adjacent structures separated by lovely gardens and ponds.) Dewi was a superior room on the first floor while Narmada was a deluxe on the ground floor. We billeted our four kids in the Narmada which had one king bed and two single beds (the second was upon request and I was pleasantly surprised that they had put in another proper single bed complete with its own ceiling-hung mosquito netting and not just a roll-away or pull-out.) The room had just enough space for this. The hubby and I took the Dewi which had one king bed in a room that was just ample enough for that. Apart from the size, main differences between the two: a) Narmada had a separate shower area alongside the tub in its bigger bathroom while Dewi had an equally oversized marble tub (would easily fit 2 bigger adults or 4 Asian children LOL) but with the built-in shower hanging at waist level which meant you had to stand on the tub holding the shower head if you wanted to shower properly. Both bathrooms had a single but adequate sink and separate dressing/closet area. b) Narmada has a spacious verandah with two side tables and a low tatami table perfectly seating the six of us for breakfast. It also shared a kitchenette with a 5ft fridge and a dining table for 6 with the room upstairs (the Indus) although I saw neither rooms ever use this space as there was absolutely no need. On the other hand, Dewi had a round marble table top on its balcony seating 4 at most. Both rooms had daybeds on their respective verandah/balcony.
PROS:
1) Traditional Balinese design and setting with exquisite detail on the houses themselves (doors, ceilings, beams, walls, even the garden tiling pointed and lead you through your walking paths separate for each room) and furniture pieces that looked and felt like they were individually handcrafted (different tables and chairs, lamp designs, etc.). I enjoyed most this part of it that there was absolutely no mistaking where you are when you stay in Alam Shanti. You're in Bali, alright. (Such a treat for someone like me who does sometimes wake up in a hotel room disoriented and not immediately remembering what city you're in.)
2) Lovely and natural-feeling tropical garden that so cleverly affords privacy. When seated on the verandah at Narmada or the balcony at Dewi, there are no other structures in your line of sight but only foliage. You know the next house is there but somehow this is so cleverly concealed and besides, the gardens are really expansive enough that I only occasionally heard my children squealing at play in the next villa (and no complaints from the people upstairs either thanks to solid walls and floors and large airy spaces!) I say "natural-feeling" because the gardens, although looking well-tended did not have the artificial air of manicured hotel lawns. Plants were allowed to grow relatively wild and there was no symmetry or area looking exactly like another. The garden was truly alive because it had animals including squirrels, geckos, colorful birds and yes, creepy crawlies too.
3) The common pool--shared by about 8 units was never crowded and it had a spa cabana adjacent. I had the cabana all to myself and was very satisfied with my Javanese lulur (which included a massage, scrub and flower bath). The price was not cheap but reasonable for the quality and convenience of the service.
4) Service was prompt and genuinely friendly. Their English was also good and the staff were well-trained with familiarity with most of the things that guests would need--reservations, pick-up, info and maps, etc.
5) Breakfast inclusive with the room was big and had a good selection. It included breads, fruit and yogurt, fruit juice and coffee or tea and a main which was either rice, crepes, eggs or porridge.
6) The location is on the quiet side of Ubud walking across the monkey forest (although it seems they charge each time you walk through which was 90K rupiah for the 6 of us so not so ideal to do several times!) but the hotel shuttle was prompt and efficient. (I wonder if it's the same on high season as the driver told me that during December, the 15 min drive becomes an hour and a half because of traffic along Monkey Forest Road). There is Laka Leke Restaurant nearby though which I liked even better than their Cafe Wayan so I was quite content to be on this side. There are also small stores selling basic knick-knacks, a couple of cheaper and more basic massage places along the road, a few other restaurants as well as a motorbike/bicycle rental just nearby.
CONS:
1) If you're looking for 5-star, club room style luxury, this may not fit the bill. Although there is room service, I believe they source their food from their restaurant/kitchen nearby and walk them covered through the expansive property so expect a longer waiting time and no warm plate service or such. The mini-bar is basic with bottled water, beer and soda. The only common area apart from your own suite accomodation is a 3 or 4 table reception that doubles as the "dining/breakfast" area for those who don't care to eat in-room. There are also a couple of tables beside the pool. This is pretty much all the facilities there are.
2) The place is a nature retreat so expect the indoors and outdoors to blend in. As such, along with the colorful birds and cute squirrels, expect insects including ants in and outside the room. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't make good use of the tub at the Dewi because some red ants were crawling about which made it impossible for me to actually lean back and enjoy the tub. Our breakfast at the Narmada verandah also had to be taken out promptly as it would otherwise attract insects around.
3) I'm actually giving one or half a star rating less not for any reason above but for this last reason as it seems in their busy-ness, the standard of cleaning is also slipping a little. I could even forgive the red ants crawling around the tub because there was a small plot of earth with plants and flowers decorating the head of the tub but what I could not let pass was the overlooked lizard droppings underneath the curtains. This obviously pointed to a hurried cleaning job that missed some not so obvious nooks and crannies (but I could see a few days worth of droppings while using the tub). In the Narmada, there was a petrified lizard stuck inside the fridge behind the soda bottles. I saw this as I was trying to make room for my milk carton. I'm not squeamish and can imagine how the lizard slipped in there but it would have been a little grotesque for my kids to see this. Again, this was obviously overlooked by housekeeping. Again, in the Narmada, the water closet flush ran continuously and when I pointed this out to them, they told me that they knew of the problem but still had to buy replacement parts from town. Although this did not affect the hygiene or function of the toilet, still, this made my kids uneasy since they are conscious of never leaving the water running or the lights or ac on inside a room when not in use.
Overall, I would love to come back to Alam Shanti when travelling with family or friends. For a spotless, posh and completely pampered getaway for two however, we have our special place 10 minutes north of Ubud that this place has yet to beat.

Room Tip: The Dewi is closest to reception and also the staff house at the back. Unfortunately, this meant I c...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank hav4wannatravel
Tokyo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed in the Laksmi room, the ground level of the Garden House (I think). Everything was really great. The staff was very helpful, from arranging drivers, scheduling tours and cooking classes, bringing tea and breakfast and poolside drinks. They also have a complimentary shuttle to and from the central market area of Ubud.

Breakfast had many options, but I really enjoyed the muesli and the black rice pudding. The fresh juice is also delicious.

I think one of our favorite things about Alam Shanti was how quiet it was. It's so lose to several restaurants, spas, shops, and the Monkey Forest, but still it was peacefully quiet. And so beautiful! Very lush, green, but full of flowers!

We really loved being so close to the Monkey Forest. Hanging out with the monkeys was probably the highlight of our trip. They stay mostly in the park area, but they're completely free to wander wherever. I didn't see any on the grounds of Alam Shanti, but there were many walking around on the walk to many of restaurants and shops.

If we were ever lucky enough to return to Ubud, we would certainly hope to stay at Alam Shanti again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cherie H
Bowral, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

This was our 5th stay at Alam Shanti. We keep coming back because the place is fantastic. The staff are friendly and always helpful. We stay in Yamuna, which is a large room and has the most beautiful outlook and private pool, which we love. We will always come back to Alam Shanti it feels like a part of us and a home away from home. Big thanks to all the wonderful staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank paul d
toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed here one night in the Garden House Saraswati ( upper floor) room. Check in was quick and we were escorted to our little oasis. There was a large sitting room with windows throughout and a separate bedroom and washroom which had AC. We didn't have a chance to enjoy afternoon tea as we were rushing to tour around with our wonderful driver Wayan Lia. The room had all the amenities you needed but as others have noted don't leave food around due to the ants.
We phoned in our breakfast request which was delivered to our room and the table set nicely for breakfast (you can also eat in the reception area). We didn't have time to use the pool but it was very nice and refreshing looking.
The hotel is down a long laneway removed from the busy street and there is an air of serenity in the setting.
There is lots to do in Ubud, monkey forest, shops, Bali dance show (we went to an evening show)
We would definitely return if we are in the Ubud area again.

Room Tip: We stayed in an upper floor which had a nice view...if someone had mobility problems they would be b...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple