“Alam Shanti was very peaceful”
Review of Alam Shanti

and 1 more site!
Alam Shanti
Ranked #70 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
Canada
“Alam Shanti was very peaceful”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I stayed at Alam Shanti with my parents and my sister during November of 2010.

The grounds were beautiful, and one of our rooms (we had two rooms) looked out onto the green rice paddies, just a gorgeous view.

My parents' room had a private pool that we were all able to use as a family. It was amazing to have a private space without worrying about people being loud or splashing around us. Very relaxing.

The grounds were kept very clean, and the walkways through the vegetation had a very spiritual, serene feeling. My favorite thing about the walk over to my parents' room in the mornings was the water lilies in the pond that opened up in the morning. They were beautiful to walk through, all different colors.

The breakfast at Alam Shanti is also great, there are lots of choices and they also offer a tea service in the afternoon. They almost always served cake with the tea, also very good.

If I were rating the room that my parents stayed in, I would have given this hotel 5 stars out of 5. Their room was beautiful, high ceilings, a beautiful balcony, beautiful woodworking and linens and the view. The bathroom was open concept so you could feel a breeze as you were showering, looking out onto the rice paddies, but still very private. I wouldn't have been concerned about people seeing me in the washroom at all. There was also a bathtub in the open concept washroom that I used once, and it was nice as well. A very calming, peaceful place.

The room that my sister and I stayed in, however, wasn't near as amazing as my parents' room. Might have just been the luck of the draw, but it was unfortunate. Our room was all marble and had a little shared area (patio sort of) outside, with a water dispenser and a fridge. There was a bathtub in our bathroom, but no working shower, very inconvenient.

There was a queen and a sofa (day) bed in our room, I had to sleep on the day bed and it wasn't very comfortable, but it was bearable. Our room was kept very clean throughout our stay.

Even though our room wasn't perfect, our stay was amazing, and I would definitely return if I had the opportunity to visit Ubud again.

Room Tip: Get the room with the private swimming pool!
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Most beautiful place I've ever stayed at - room(s) so well furnished in Balinese style, outlook over fantastic gardens - gorgeous pool, where we could opt to have our coffee & cake served each afternoon! Staff very helpful in arranging excursions to suit needs & always serving our wonderful breakfast on terrace at exactly time requested! Indoor/outdoor bathroom was exquisite & day-beds much used! We had Shindu room, which was downstairs & felt like part of garden. Dewi room was upstairs, but entrance nowhere near ours, so we never felt that there was anyone else around, & each villa is similar - very private & serene! Other 2 bedroom villas in complex have own pool & look over rice-fields, but we were most happy with our garden view & indoor fish-pond! As there are only about 6 villas in complex it was always quiet & SO tranquil! Words can't do justice to this place! Hotel is near Monkey Forest at Ubud, but we avoided monkeys by following bike road around edge of forest - about 15 mins walk to centre of Ubud, but we rarely ate there, as restaurants around hotel were fine

Thank L.A.M.60
Sydney
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed with another couple in Guyatri & Purwati. We loved these rooms as they were set away in a rice paddy. Such a gorgeous view to wake up to and wildlife was abundant. A farmer was tending the paddy every day and it was really interesting to watch him at work.

The rooms were huge and had everything you could need. We had a small temple right outside our door and the glorious smell of incence floated into the room. In the afternoon bowls of mozzie coils were lit on our balcony and while we slept at night the rattan blinds around our balcony were let down for privacy. The breakfast on the balcony each morning was lovely and we enjoyed chatting with the delightful Wayan who I wanted to take back in my suitcase. One morning the monkeys came down out of the trees to try to get our breakfast off the table and that was a hoot. With alot of shouting and waving of hands we eventually scared them off.

Loved that fact that the location was so quiet yet it was an easy walk through the monkey forest to get to all the action.

The shuttle was always available and also any arrangements made with reception were handled efficiently.

The spa was lovely but the treatments were not anything special.

The pool was lovely, clean and cool with a gorgeous outlook.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay here and wished that we had had 7 nights instead of 4. We will definitely be back to Alam Shanti.

2 Thank prueo
Mandurah
Reviewed August 6, 2011

This was my dream for my 50th. To stay in Ubud in one of the best Villas in Bali. It totally lived up to its reputation. If your after a quiet and tranquil relaxing place this is for you. We stayed at Alam Jiwa last time and this was as good.
Brakfast is delivered to your door and they will run you into town and pick you up from 8am to 10pm.
We will be back!

bristol
Reviewed August 5, 2011

we stayed one night in shindu room & were amazed lovely bath room outdoor loo
fish pond/fountain large marble bath & three nights in gangga room nice view of rice fields from shower & huge balcony with view loved semi private pool
breakfast was great ,shuttle service good. quiet location but easy reach of central ubud
this is one of the nicest places i have ever stayed & i have travelled extensively we felt truely pampered & lucky to experience it
is it worth paying extra for gangga rm? i dont know, loved shindu equally, for us we swim daily at home so probably but both had loads of character

Room Tip: book early very popular hotel i booked hotel before flights nearly 18mths in advance added on i nigh...
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Alam Shanti in Ubud is situated behind the Monkey Forest and is a fanstastic place to escape the hustle and bustle of Ubud. The hotel does not have TV's but you don't need one! We sat on our porch and stared at all the wonderful things around us for hours - literally, I think 6 to 8 hours. The energy just lends to the experience of total relaxation and being able to reconnect with nature. The staff was absolutely fantastic and accommodating. Alam Shanti is one of three hotels in the same area. Check out the Alam Jiwa as an alternative to the Alam Shanti if you can't get a room. They all book out early - expecially Alam Shanti so I recommend advanced reservations. Also, pay a little more for a nicer room. Although all rooms are nice you do get upgraded amenities and a better space to relax by spending little more.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank losharoth
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed in the Purwati room, in the 'house in the rice fields'. It was our honeymoon and we were also celebrating my birthday. Alam Shanti is a beautiful hotel, the room was HUGE with beautiful day beds inside and outside. We spent so many of our evenings on the porch watching thunderstorms. Breakfast served on the porch in the morning is brilliant. I felt relaxed and happy the entire time. The staff who work there are sincerely happy, friendly and attentive. I could not recommend this place enough. Also, I highly recommend that you take advantage of their airport transportation services and remember to leave a tip, at the end of your stay, for that (no doubt) fantastic service.

Room Tip: The rooms in the rice fields are not too far from the action!
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple