“Good value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #123 of 192 Hotels in Ubud
Perth, Australia
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

Very well located. Very good attentive staff. clean. The bathrooms need to be modernised
just a shower would be better the shower in the bath was a potential slip hazard and water
went every wear. Other than that the rooms at the rear of the hotel are very good

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear cost a little more but are quieter
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

A very lovely oasis tucked away from Monkey Forest Road. The rooms were large and clean. The bathroom does show signs of age and wear with cracked grout and rusty shower grab bars. However, it was large and clean. The patios/verandas were huge and one can spend days sitting on the patio lounger and relaxing. Breakfast was a good buffet spread with fresh fruit juices.

I found their transport services overpriced. They wanted $60/day for a private car tour. I walked a few meters outside and found a car/driver for $40 for the same tour/sites ($40 seem to be the going street rate). They charged around $80 for a return fast boat ticket to Gili Island. Again, I walked outside to the street and found the same return ticket for around $60 at a travel agency booth. I made the mistake of making a reservation with the hotel first for the ticket. When I came back later to cancel, they demanded a 20% penalty. This penalty was fee was never disclosed and the clerk got a little testy when I explained this fee was not reasonable. Actually, he made me talk to their contract agency on the phone and the woman kept shouting and demanding money.

Despite this, I would still return to the resort. I would just not use their transport services.

Room Tip: There does not appear to be any bad rooms. All face the gardens and are quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
West Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Cendana. The location is great - right in the middle of Ubud and easy walking to restaurants, sights, and activities. We did a few classes at the Yoga Barn which is a nice 15 minute walk... longer if you get distracted by the monkeys.

Having the rice paddy fields in front of the hotel was very pretty - and interesting. We watched the rice being harvested over the week we were there! Speaking of rice paddies, I have to mention our favorite walk in the area: look up 'Sari Organic' on the map and walk up there and past it. Bring your camera.

Cendana's pool is gorgeous. Perfect for relaxing or cooling off after a long, hot walk!

We staying in a Standard room and also a Superior room. Both are okay, but splurge if you can. The Superior was quieter (thicker walls) and more modern. That being said, the Standard rooms have a great traditional feel. This hotel has options for everyone.

The breakfast buffet was the same every day so we tired of it quickly. They should consider some variation.

All in all, a good stay.

Room Tip: If you're staying in a Standard room, request one that is bright. The ones on the end of the row...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah C
Bali, Indonesia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

I love this place, yet they totally lie about their "freshwater" pool. I know the smell of chlorine
and stayed their for 5 days and it was STRONG in their beautiful pool everyday. Why do they do this? Why doesn't everyone use healthier alternative ways to clean out bacteria such as silver, lasers, infarred light, or even magnets would do the trick. Would save millions of $ in pollutants and cleaning them from the water AND not leave your skin dry, smelly and toxified!! Do some research on Google on it. Whats ridiculous is they have a FRESHWATER source here and the STILL think they must contaminate the water with toxic chlorine! There are MANY types of natural water purification systems thanks to new chemical technology, chlorine and other harsh chemicals are no longer needed to clean swimming pools. Although new natural systems of water purification temporarily convert the natural chemical makeup of water, most of these systems—as described below—still require that water be “shocked” or super-cleaned after a season or a rainstorm. And some don't totally eliminate the use of chlorine, but can drastically reduce the amounts added. Anxious to plunge back into your backyard swimming hole? These systems are easily converted over from chlorine within a couple of weeks or less.

Saltwater: With this system, salt is used in a small proportion—not enough to even notice. The salt cleans water when broken down by electrolysis, resulting in a natural, bacteria-killing, non-threatening form of chlorine. The chlorine then reconverts to salt, which begins the process again. Since saltwater is self-cleaning, no other purifiers or chemicals are needed.
Ionization:: An ionic pool cleaner unleashes copper and silver to kill bacteria and stop algae growth. Ionization occurs when water molecules are converted into ions from the infusion of small amounts of metals. These metals dispense from cartridges that are put into the filter of the pool or solar devices that float on the water.

Oxidation: During oxidation, water produces ozone, a strong disinfectant that's safe enough to be used in many drinking water systems. Oxidation requires a generator outside the pool that uses either ultraviolet light (which is how the sun produces ozone with water in nature) or electricity (which is how lighting produces ozone).

Sonic waves: Believe it or not, particular sound waves can kill pesky algae and contaminants. Relatively new, sonic wave cleaning systems require a device that emits a complex system of sound waves to be placed underwater. This causes algae cells to resonate and break much like a glass breaks from high-pitched sound.

Purifying plants:Plants can be carefully chosen to create a filter that keeps pool water clean. Specific plants enrich the pool with oxygen, support beneficial bacteria that consume debris and potentially harmful organisms, and deprive algae of nutrients. A traditional swimming pool can be converted to this kind of natural pool by landscaping close to the pool.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
suarka, Manager at Cendana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Customer,

Warmest greeting from Cendana Resort & Spa Ubud Bali.
We would like to thank for your staying with us and we do our very best to make sure our guests are comfortable and well a handed to,
We are truly sorry that your stay at Cendana did not meet your expectations.

I see in your case, we check and Control our swimming pool everyday and used standard chlorine.
Thank for your information and we will try to find out the solution.

Please know that if you decide to stay with us again we do utmost to make sure your stay is enjoyable, again please accept my sincere apology.

Warms regards.
Nyoman
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

Good choice at the center. Beautiful rice filed view, quiet and nice place. The room is clean and bathroom is quite big but need to be clean more. The staff is friendly and good breakfast. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

I stayed here by myself at the beginning of March for 6 days in Deluxe Room #302. I booked direct with them. I didn’t know until after the fact (via reading another review) that they had some deluxe rooms that were western style, meaning plaster walls/ceiling and fully sealed windows. I liked my room, but the windows and doors were not entirely sealed. I emailed them a couple times in advance specifically requesting a western style room because of serious bug phobias, and was assured this was taken care of, but this was not what I was given. Had I been aware they had these types of rooms, I would have requested a room change. I just assumed this was their version of a western style room. But, that is my only complaint, and it may simply have been a language barrier, so it’s not much of a complaint. And, I never saw a single bug in my room.

The breakfast was very tasty and the coffee fantastic. The staff was absolutely great. The room itself was very spacious and clean. The bed was firm but quite comfortable with a full mosquito net. The patio was large and quite private because of the wonderful gardens and greenery on the grounds. The deluxe had a TV and a mini fridge. The furniture is old but well maintained. There is no safe in the room, but the armoire does lock. The showerhead was very old, spraying in all directions and there was little water pressure, but I never ran out of hot water. As the deluxe are at the back of the resort grounds, I had no issues with noise from surrounding bars. You could hear a distant thud but nothing that would keep you awake. For a couple days during my stay, there was a group in the room beside me and I could certainly hear them, so I believe the walls are quite thin.

The infinity pool was very nice and very peaceful. I never did try the other pool, which was located at the front beside reception. Actually, I never saw anyone in that pool. As for location, it was perfect. It was right in the middle of everything, without feeling, or sounding, like you were in the middle of it all. I felt perfectly safe as a female on my own, day or night.

All in all, I thought it was a wonderful place with a true Balinese feel. I would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: I liked that I was on the second floor, as I had a better view of the rice paddies and the grounds.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

When we arrived I was a little worried. Very central, walking distance to everything, noisy street. When we saw what we got we were just amazed. This hotel is in the middle of everything but at the same time away from the world. They were able to build this like an oasis in the middle of Ubud with rice field views and etc and you don't even notice from the outside. My room was on the back at the hotel and it is like a mini temple. No noise at all and you wake up with the fantastic pool everybody talks about. Want to go somewhere? Just walk and you are there. Absolutelly perfect location.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family