“Want to stay in the country in Bali? Want to stay in town? Here's how to get both.”

Cendana Resort and Spa
Ranked #131 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at Cendana for the fourth time last September, bringing six friends, some new to Bali. All really liked the place.

The trick with Cendana is that it's on a flag lot just off Ubud's main drag, Monkey Forest Road. The rooms nearest the road get nightclub music/racket at night, but mostly they're pretty quiet, and adjacent to rice paddies. So in the morning you feel like you're in the countryside--aided by the lavishly landscaped grounds, the restaurant in back, and the two big pools. But a five minute walk to Monkey Forest Road takes you into the thick of things, just 10 minutes' walk or so from the town's central market and gamelan performance venues.

The rooms are outfitted for Indonesian luxury more than Western luxury, though they do have Western toilets and baths. There's lots of room to spread out and spacious verandas overlooking the rice paddies. And the AC is quiet and effective.

We've voted with our feet, returning here time after time because even though Pertiwi is even nicer, that's a lot more expensive. For us this is a great value proposition.

And of course it has free Internet. And very nice free breakfasts, including both Balinese and Western food at the buffet.

Room Tip: The farther from the road, the better. There's a gamelan performance venue next door, so it help...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 28, 2013

It was a good stay. My husband and I together with friends did enjoy our holiday. it was relaxing and the breakfast was good although very limited choices. Our friends and I booked their only 2 Deluxe Rooms and i would say its big and has its own balcony. The Room is clean so far. The staff were also nice.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

This place is not in the lonely planet, but it should be!
Quiet place in the middle of the City center in Ubud with a view over ricefields.
Aesthetic rooms with posterbeds, bathtub and balcony. Fantastic poolarea, friendly staff and amazing breakfast.
Absolute value for money :)

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We stayed in a deluxe room for only 3 nights , top floor facing salt water pool and overlooking rice fields , amazing view ,! Breakfast was good, nice selection , would have liked access to juice ,as each time we needed a refil we had to ask the staff , but it was freshly squeezed so worth the wait ,we had one meal in restaurant whitch was fine , but with so many restaurants in ubud we didn't have time to sample any more , pool was amazing, swimming while looking out over the rice fields and watching the ongoing work by a couple of local women, I would have liked a safe n the room as I wasn't comfortable with using the one at reception , they seemed to have a lot of keys to just one lock , staff were very polite and welcoming ,The manager Norman introduced himself to us at our first breakfast , but as it was a holiday while we were there we didn't see him again , pity as he was a very nice guy , We were so lucky as there was a royal cremation while we were in ubud ,this was a pretty amazing ceremony and we feel very privileged to have witnessed this event ,,,,On the last day of our stay we visited monkey forest in the morning ,and had a small accident when one of the daddy monkeys attacked me falling and cutting my leg badly and hurting my arm (we found out later that it was broken ) apparently the monkeys were angry as it was a holiday ,and there was a lot of food around in the offerings in the temple , but as we were not leaving ubud until 6pm I was very disappointed that we still had to check out at noon , I asked if we could use room so as I could rest my leg and arm ,but even though there was no booking for our room that day ,they wouldn't let us use room to rest , we did however use a shower beside reception before our taxi arrived ,but there was no where to put dry clothes so a little bit of acrobatic movements were needed to wash and dress, When we were leaving ,after sitting in reception chatting to the reception staff ,waiting for our transport , the two staff members did not say goodbye or help my husband with luggage, But Hey ! These were only minor hitches and would not deter us from staying in the cendana , oh I forgot to mention the two birds who scared the wits out of me the first time they said hello and good morning when we walked past , they also had some naughty sayings that were soooo funny ,if we are lucky enough to return to bali and indeed ubud I would love to stay in this hotel again ,only next time I would like to stay for longer and I would have no hesitation in recommending the cendana to my friends

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The standard room was of a good standard , although the bathroom is a little tired looking, breakfast was included in the price which added to the value. Ducks on the rice paddy next door was a nice cultural experience. My second trip to Cendana Resort after a break of 4 or 5 years.

Room Tip: Don't expect 5 star and you should not be disappointed. This is from a males perspective as I tr...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

My mum and I stayed at Cendana for 6 nights and we had the most pleasant experience there. We stayed in a standard room and everything was perfect-- the buffet breakfast, the rice fields view, the ducks, the cleanliness. Most importantly the efficiency and hospitality of the staff was so impressive! And we also enjoyed ordering food from the restaurant there which was affordable and yummy too. Will definitely go back there, highly recommended!

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I travel often to Ubud for business and pleasure and you know what they say – location, location, location. Cendana Resort, downtown Ubud, is great for me in so many ways. I agree wholeheartedly with the many other reviews noting its serene location amidst the hubbub of a very busy downtown center, the rice field overlooks, attentive staff, lovely grounds, two swimming pools (one salt-water), on-site spa, great breakfast buffet and home-style feeling keep me coming back. All these and the perfect location make Cendana my home away from home each time I travel to Ubud. I’ve stayed here 5 times and each of them re-affirms my choice. I wouldn’t stay anywhere else.

Close to all the great Ubud restaurants, a mini-mart, reputable money exchange and shopping the location is perfect for the casual traveler. Short walks to the traditional market (go before 8:00am if you want to see local village sellers, artisans and buyers beginning their day. At 8:30am it changes over to the tourist market), the royal palace, art museums, cooking classes and rice field excursions are additional bonuses.

If you are traveling for adventure, like most of us, remember it’s probably very different than where you live and that’s what it’s about. A word of advice if you are a light sleeper; travel with earplugs or one of those traveling white noise gadgets. (there’s an App for that :>) and they are always a good idea for traveling). Cendana being in the center of town, with all of that convenience and next to a rice field with the farmers, different noises could be a challenge. The roosters awake long before dawn, the ducks chum the fields for breakfast, rice field workers begin early and a neighbor added a bar to their warung a couple of years ago offering live music a few nights a week. I’ve never had a difficulty and sleep like a baby with my gadgets so plan ahead and your Bali adventure will be magical, it always is.

Some additional practical notes: In room WiFi (and on site hard wired computer room if it’s down), air con in room, private bath, attentive room staff, daily bottled water supplied, money exchange just outside the hotel grounds (with reputable pricing and secure interactions), complimentary local village transport, help with or recommendations for any sort of tour/itinerary/activity you desire, healthy great cuisine within easy walking distance, easy communications via email for reservations and airport transport. Great healthy restaurants within easy walking distance. All in all – great choice to stay at Cendana !!

Room Tip: Standard rooms are comfortable for one or two and are furthest from the warung with live music. IIf...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business