“My home away from home………time after time and…….perfect in so many ways”

Cendana Resort and Spa
Ranked #124 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
St. Helena, California
“My home away from home………time after time and…….perfect in so many ways”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

I travel often to Ubud for business and pleasure and you know what they say – location, location, location. Cendana Resort, downtown Ubud, is great for me in so many ways. I agree wholeheartedly with the many other reviews noting its serene location amidst the hubbub of a very busy downtown center, the rice field overlooks, attentive staff, lovely grounds, two swimming pools (one salt-water), on-site spa, great breakfast buffet and home-style feeling keep me coming back. All these and the perfect location make Cendana my home away from home each time I travel to Ubud. I’ve stayed here 5 times and each of them re-affirms my choice. I wouldn’t stay anywhere else.

Close to all the great Ubud restaurants, a mini-mart, reputable money exchange and shopping the location is perfect for the casual traveler. Short walks to the traditional market (go before 8:00am if you want to see local village sellers, artisans and buyers beginning their day. At 8:30am it changes over to the tourist market), the royal palace, art museums, cooking classes and rice field excursions are additional bonuses.

If you are traveling for adventure, like most of us, remember it’s probably very different than where you live and that’s what it’s about. A word of advice if you are a light sleeper; travel with earplugs or one of those traveling white noise gadgets. (there’s an App for that :>) and they are always a good idea for traveling). Cendana being in the center of town, with all of that convenience and next to a rice field with the farmers, different noises could be a challenge. The roosters awake long before dawn, the ducks chum the fields for breakfast, rice field workers begin early and a neighbor added a bar to their warung a couple of years ago offering live music a few nights a week. I’ve never had a difficulty and sleep like a baby with my gadgets so plan ahead and your Bali adventure will be magical, it always is.

Some additional practical notes: In room WiFi (and on site hard wired computer room if it’s down), air con in room, private bath, attentive room staff, daily bottled water supplied, money exchange just outside the hotel grounds (with reputable pricing and secure interactions), complimentary local village transport, help with or recommendations for any sort of tour/itinerary/activity you desire, healthy great cuisine within easy walking distance, easy communications via email for reservations and airport transport. Great healthy restaurants within easy walking distance. All in all – great choice to stay at Cendana !!

Room Tip: Standard rooms are comfortable for one or two and are furthest from the warung with live music. IIf...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

We have just stayed at this beautiful hotel in the heart of Ubud and it was 5 star! The gardens were amazing with the most beautiful infinity pool overlooking the rice paddy field in a peaceful romantic setting off the main road but so quiet ! Wonderful and deluxe room had a four poster bed and air con - very reasonable for lovely size room! This hotel made my holiday in Bali perfect! I will dream about this place forever!!!!

Best hotel I have ever stayed in!

Room Tip: Deluxe are wonderful!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hobart
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have stayed at Cendana twice and now it is my hotel of choice in Ubud. The location is perfect for me, right in the middle of Monkey Forest Road, but set back a bit from the road. I have stayed in the deluxe rooms which are very large and have a huge bathroom. The two pools are gorgeous, and I love the one overlooking the ricefield. The spa is also very good, but there are cheaper options very close by, in fact there is everything you could want very close by, including a couple of mini marts within 200 metres.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank cherrystalks4me
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Cendana is located perfectly on Monkey Forest Road. It is an oasis in the busy road. Breakfast is great and the pool is lovely. Staff were very helpful The price is very reasonable. The pillows and beds cab be a little hard.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed at Cendana for one night in October with my traveling companion. We both stayed in deluxe rooms for our stay. Although the property and decor were quite enchanting (you really felt as though you had escaped busy Ubud) the hotel is showing it's age and is in need of a facelift. My friend found 5 living cockroaches exploring his room (and toothbrush!) and we also faced broken toilets, unenthusiastic customer service, loud music late into the night and disappointing food. The hotel has potential but we won't be returning in the near future, there are significantly better hotels to be found in Ubud for this price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Since I wanted the convenience of Monkey Forest Road, I moved to a superior room at the Cendana for twice the price of the Suly Resort. I regretted that move as soon as I saw my room. The hallway to my room is in front of the garbage dump, which does not affect the inside but is a nasty homecoming after time. There were huge gaps in both the door to the balcony and the main door -- mosquito doorways I called them. The mosquito netting also had huge gaps and the critters came in. As did the tiny ants who swarms my toothpaste by morning. The shower was fine but the bathtub never became hot. The room had a musty odor which after a day of air-conditioning, got better. I was prepared for the music but honestly, didn't know it would drive me so crazy.

The rest of the hotel was great. The front desk was very helpful in making local calls to book appointments for me. The pool was lovely. The breakfast buffet was yummy. The staff brought a free pot of coffee at our request. And yes, it was great to be on Monkey Forest. But I had never hated a hotel room so much.

After two nights, I upgraded to a deluxe room. The management was sympathetic to my complain and gave me a discounted upgrade. It was a different world! There were no gaps in the doors, the rice paddy view was gorgeous as was the larger balcony. The night time music was just a dull thud. The bathtub didn't look appeal so I didn't try it.

So it's deluxe or nothing for me. Maybe there are better superior rooms, but I will never take that chance again. The Cendana is often sold often so there clearly there are people who are happy with the rooms.

Room Tip: I think my superior was 314, on the last corner away from the lobby, on the second floor. The delux...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

There is an unwritten policy to refuse refunds on any deposits. We had booked a room for 4 nights and 8 days before our scheduled arrival we had to reschedule some of our intinerary. We were given about 3 different stories why we couldn't get our deposit back, we then asked to speak to the manager and even though he said if you cancel within 7 days we keep some of the deposit, we reminded him it was 8 days before and he still kept 20% of our deposit. He told us in the past even if you cancel 3 months prior to arrival and they have the right to keep the deposit. I can understand if we cancel without notice we would expect to loose our deposit, but we gave 8 days and its also high season and they would have no problem renting the room. Another couple were having similar problems when they were checking out at the same time. Besides the policy problems the hotel looks nice and well kept.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family