“Deluxe, never superior room”

Cendana Resort and Spa
Ranked #130 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Since I wanted the convenience of Monkey Forest Road, I moved to a superior room at the Cendana for twice the price of the Suly Resort. I regretted that move as soon as I saw my room. The hallway to my room is in front of the garbage dump, which does not affect the inside but is a nasty homecoming after time. There were huge gaps in both the door to the balcony and the main door -- mosquito doorways I called them. The mosquito netting also had huge gaps and the critters came in. As did the tiny ants who swarms my toothpaste by morning. The shower was fine but the bathtub never became hot. The room had a musty odor which after a day of air-conditioning, got better. I was prepared for the music but honestly, didn't know it would drive me so crazy.

The rest of the hotel was great. The front desk was very helpful in making local calls to book appointments for me. The pool was lovely. The breakfast buffet was yummy. The staff brought a free pot of coffee at our request. And yes, it was great to be on Monkey Forest. But I had never hated a hotel room so much.

After two nights, I upgraded to a deluxe room. The management was sympathetic to my complain and gave me a discounted upgrade. It was a different world! There were no gaps in the doors, the rice paddy view was gorgeous as was the larger balcony. The night time music was just a dull thud. The bathtub didn't look appeal so I didn't try it.

So it's deluxe or nothing for me. Maybe there are better superior rooms, but I will never take that chance again. The Cendana is often sold often so there clearly there are people who are happy with the rooms.

Room Tip: I think my superior was 314, on the last corner away from the lobby, on the second floor. The delux...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 14, 2013

There is an unwritten policy to refuse refunds on any deposits. We had booked a room for 4 nights and 8 days before our scheduled arrival we had to reschedule some of our intinerary. We were given about 3 different stories why we couldn't get our deposit back, we then asked to speak to the manager and even though he said if you cancel within 7 days we keep some of the deposit, we reminded him it was 8 days before and he still kept 20% of our deposit. He told us in the past even if you cancel 3 months prior to arrival and they have the right to keep the deposit. I can understand if we cancel without notice we would expect to loose our deposit, but we gave 8 days and its also high season and they would have no problem renting the room. Another couple were having similar problems when they were checking out at the same time. Besides the policy problems the hotel looks nice and well kept.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank scorpio0870
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This hotel looked great online, and did not disappoint. It was very easy to arrange accommodation directly with the hotel via email. It is set back off Monkey Forest Road and overlooks rice paddies. All the staff, from the front desk to the groundsmen, are very friendly and welcoming. Complimentary local transport is a welcome extra. There are lots of great restaurants very close by. Great value for money.

Room Tip: We were in Room 325, beside one of the pools. A bit dark, but that is to be expected with the tradi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were initially only going to stay two nights and then check out another hotel in another location in Ubud, but we were so blown away, we remained there for 5 nights! Manicured gardens, ponds, two pools, large private rooms, and a great buffet breakfast included. The location was perfect, centrally located to main attractions and shopping. We used the Spa facilities as well for dual massages, which were wonderful. We would definitely stay again. Great value.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Good hotel for value in a great location. When i first checked in, I was disapointed in the staffs lack of warmth in welcoming me. However, the next day (and different staff members) were happy to help me with arranging a tour and always very cheerful towards me. I stayed in a standard room which was very nice but bathroom could use an update. Breakfast was a simple and tasty buffet overlooking the pool and rice paddies. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Great value stay, amidst the fields, and yet on the main monkey forest lane. Very accessible to the diners, shops and markets. Has a beautiful pool facing the open fields. Rooms smelt a little musty, but clean and spotless. Breakfast was organic and yummy. The spa was Ok (found better value spas around). Overall a worthy and well located value stay.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gayathri_Vasant
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is our third time at Cendana each time I go back it feels like I haven't left.The staff are great Nyoman the manager goes out of his way to help in any way.If youre looking for a great place to stay overlooking the rice fields in the middle of Ubud this is it ,Dont expect a 5 star property most rooms don't have a TV and standard don't have a fridge but who needs TV in Ubud

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family