“A tad pricey, but really really nice”

Cendana Resort and Spa
Ranked #129 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
seattle, wa
“A tad pricey, but really really nice”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We got a Superior room because that was all they had left. After taxes and all, it was $85 a night. The room was just fine - very comfy bed with mosquito net drapes all around. Nice sheets. No TV, thank goodness, but in room phone. Had a fridge with mini bar. I thought the bathroom was quite nice - small semicircular tub with separate shower. Sink outside the main bathroom. The room was very clean.

Breakfast is included in the rate - way better than your average Bali free breakfast. They set up an all you can eat buffet with made to order juices, bread and a toaster, selection of breakfast meats (including odd little hot dogs cut to look like flowers), scrambled eggs, roasted potatoes and tomatoes, fresh cut fruit, croissants, fried rice or noodles, fabulous banana pancakes and more. Full waiter service for drinks and plate removal.

We did not eat at the restaurant (other than breakfast) but did order my son room service for dinner one night and it was good.

It's a great location, just about in the middle of Monkey Forest Rd, quite close to the Football Field. Easy walk to Monkey Forest or the main intersection of Ubud and the outdoor market.

The grounds are beautiful - well maintained, very lush and tropical. Yes, the hotel borders rice fields on one side and is quite pretty. The front pool is shallow and great for kids. My 9 year old met 3 other kids there to play with and had a blast. The back pool is really deep, but joy of all joys, was salt water with no chlorine (or at least so little that I couldn't sense it)

The spa was really nice. I did not get massage there, but my two friends did and said it was very good. They charge $15 for a massage - I walked out of the hotel and turned left and within 100 feet I got offered massage for $5. The facility was not nearly as nice, but since I had my eyes closed the whole time, I really didn't care.

One complaint - it was really noisy at night. One building next door was a gamelan practice hall of some sort. Soon after the gamelan was done, the hotel next door started up with the live outdoor reggae band. Ear plugs helped, but it was not the most charming part of the stay. And, the next door neighbors chickens and roosters started up really early right outside my door. I think the rooms at the back of the hotel (near the spa) are probably a lot quieter than those at the front.

All in all, a really nice place...but I do think there are better values in Ubud to be had. I would stay there again, but I would get a standard room for 50 plus taxes and feel better about it.

Room Tip: I think the rooms in the back would be quieter, but I think they are also the Deluxe rooms which are...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank eilythia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Let me start by saying that Cendana has a great location and is surrounded by beautiful scenery. We stayed 5 nights in September. Breakfast was included...pretty much the same every day but tasty and ample. We had the standard room in what seemed to be the older part of the property. it was a little dark, but it was clean and for the price seemed to be a value considering the location.

The highlight of our stay in Ubud was our taxi driver...Wayan Oka. Wayan usually has his taxi parked on Monkey Forest Road across from the Cendana entrance. He offers "transport" like the other drivers, but he seemed to be a notch above the rest. He spoke excellent English and his car was spotless. We wanted to see a local celebration at one of the temples, and he offered to take us to one happening in his village. He took us to meet his family and helped us wear our sarongs properly. He took us where we wanted to go...not where he thought we should go. In the end, he became our friend and he recently e-mailed photos of him and his lovely bride. He made our trip special. Wayan can be reached at 081-2399-4824 or yan_oka31@yahoo,co.id

Room Tip: Spring for the newer rooms and use Wayan!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I spent 5 nights here in January of 2013. I was disappointed and I will stay elsewhere when I return next year.

PROs:
- Located in the middle of Monkey Forest Road.
- Friendly staff.
- The back pool was nice. (Never saw anyone use the front pool by the lobby.)
- Breakfast was ok.

CONs:
- The bathroom was really outdated and ugly. Shower only had cold water, so I had to use the tub. There was a floor drain that made gurgling noises day and night.
- Light switches and door handles were filthy.
- Several of the lights in the room did not work.
- The wireless internet signal strength in the room was very weak and slow. Very frustrating.
- The desk area had no power outlet, so I had to setup my computer elsewhere.
- There was no seating in the room that had a back, so it was not possible to lean back while working. The bed had no headboard, so I couldn't lean back and work on my computer while sitting there, either. This led to back pain and added to my stress over the poor internet connection.
- The massage in the spa was the worst I have ever had. The changing room and the shower was filthy.

Overall, I recommend skipping this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank jwc3
Malaysia, Ipoh, Perak
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I paid usd70 per night for a superior room and was very disappointed with the room. Despite the comments bout the quietness and tranquility , the noise is unbearable. I would have stayed in kuta if I wanted a live band. When I conplained to the hotel reception, their answer is that it will stop at 12 normally. What?! The superior rooms overlook the normal swimming pool and is near the hotel lobby. No paddy field view rooms for the superior room. I personally find that the cheaper standard rooms has a better baliness taste compared to the superior rooms. Also, my partner saw a stain on the sheets and suspects it to be blood stain. Size of the room is great though, big bed, ample space and big toilet. But honestly, for usd 70 per night. Cendana Resort failed to meet my expectations.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank seeyumi
Bowral, Australia
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stay regularly at Cendana due mainly to its location and friendliness of the staff. Previously I have stayed at a number of other hotels, however due to mobility restrictions I prefer to stay in the centre of town. Cendan,a whilst an older style of resort, provides a good place to stay for a reasonable price.They have 3 categories of rooms depending on your requirements. I usually stay in the Deluxe rooms, ground floor. What I like about this hotel is their location, friendliness of the staff, the fact it does have a TV and most improtantly the beds are really comfortable. Cendana has two pools, one overlooks the rice paddies and breakfast is included. Gardens are well maintained and it has a lovely outlook. Like any breakfast in Bali, it does have its limitations, however at least here you get fresh juice and a variety of food on offer both at breakfast and during the day via room service or in the restaurant at very reasonable prices. The only issues I have with this hotel are that they do not have tea and coffee making facilities, however staff are more than happy to bring hot water to the room on request. Staff who clean the room need to pay more attention to the cleaning of the toilet and this has been mentioned to management. I would also like to see the hotel offer more English speaking TV channels, however these are all minor issues. Overall I have always enjoyed my stay at this hotel and will continue to stay with them in the future.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms overlook the salt water pool, gardens and rice paddies and have fridge and TV. Less exp...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I were staying in Ubud for two nights and we spent one night in Cendana. It's right in the middle of Monkey Forest Road which is extemely convinent.

The rooms are clean but the bathroom was not extremely clean. Perhaps because it is old more than anything. They provide towels which is a plus.

Breakfast comes with the room and it's a good buffet with delicious fruit juices and a 180 view of the rice paddies!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Outofkenya
Port Fairy, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We chose Cendana for location. Staying as a family we had two rooms and worked out much less expensive than family accomodation offered elsewhere. The room are quite and it is easy to relax. For a location in the middle of Monkey Forest Road this is a great option.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family