“Fabulous location, amongst the action but set back off the road & very quiet.”

Cendana Resort and Spa
Ranked #130 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I usually stay at Wahyu Bungalows when in Ubud (also on Monkey Forest Road, behind the soccer field), as they are cheap and cheerful. But as I was travelling with my mother on this trip I decided to go a bit more upmarket for her.
I had visited friends staying at Cendana last year, so was familiar with the rooms and grounds. At $95 a night (Deluxe room), it was nearly 4 times the price of Wahyu...but obviously got a higher standard of rooms and facilities.
The staff were lovely, breakfast adequate, meals at the restaurant well-priced and delicious. The pool by the rice paddy was divine and the gardens throughout the whole hotel were beautiful.
I had requested a room on the upper level so we could have a private balcony and enjoy the views, however when being taken to our room on the first day, my Mum tripped on the top step (which was a different height to all the other steps...yep...that's Bali!) and so I asked if a ground floor room may be available. They were very happy to oblige.
The hotel wasn't very full, so it was all still very private on our ground floor deck and overlooked the lovely gardens. There was just one long seat on our deck that was like a church pew and not very comfy...though saw some other rooms at the front of the hotel with some divine loungers on their terrace (I wanted one!!) and I think they were the standard rooms as well!!
The other trip hazard was the door to the bathroom. One of those ornate Balinese framed doorways with the double door (that was noisy and didn't close properly)...and quite a step over into the bathroom. Thankfully we had torches for night time bathroom visits and managed to avoid any "trips"! The door may have been traditional, but actually a bit annoying and I was very nervous my Mum would come a cropper!
The room was spacious enough with comfy beds (though was a bit squeasy with a double and single in the same room) and had big windows on two sides (though the thin curtains did let a bit of light in). No traffic noise...just the sounds of frogs, geckos and crickets (lovely!).
The location was the big appeal! Restaurants, bars, shops...everything you could want...just outside the hotel.
Basically, it is a lovely hotel and would consider staying here again. I have sounded a bit negative in this review I guess...but the location and ambience were worth the money. But as a regular Bali visitor I did think the price was a bit high for what we got...but it is a popular hotel and so they obviously still get the bookings at that price.
If I could order thicker curtains, two of those comfy loungers on the deck, normal bathroom doorway ... perfect :)

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights, the rooms were big for 2 adults & 1 child. The place was central to everything. We normally like to stay the higher price end of accomodation in bali but thought we would give it a go from the good reviews. The resort did not disappoint and deserves a higher rating. My mother stayed in room 306 on the upper floor and complained that the noise from a nearby nightclub kept her awake. We stayed next door in room 305 and only slightly heard noise at night. The upper floor had a great breaze and was free from mosquitos.we will be back

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Hi, I' ve already several times I stop in Cendana Resort & Spa, Monkey forest street in Ubud.
The place is beatiful, rounde by strong and beatiful vegetation with a wonderful view on rice field from any room you stay. The staff is always lovable and ready to offer you any service you need. The breakfast (included) is rich and enough to start your long day of shopping or business activities.
I tried sometime to change but the best average between price and quality for me is in Cendana and now I hope to get an available room when I have to go in Bali.

Room Tip: standard and superior room are OK, but no TV. do you need it in Ubud ??
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Cendana resort and spa should be congratulated in sourcing some of the nicest staff we encountered on our trip. A bargain, the rooms were clean and cool. Not sure if it was intentional, but our room location was sensitive to our booking with a child. Close to the pool without being on top of it (unlike another place we were paying four times the amount). We hadn't realized it, but we had made a booking for a room without a fridge. This may have been a problem, what with a two year old, but the staff were so accommodating that we hardly missed it. Room service all day without any problem, so obtaining cold drinks and food was easy. This resort extends back from the road making it a quiet little haven. Our room had only one adjoining wall and that was the bathroom so noise from other guests was hardly noticed. We were even able to arrange a babysitter for one evening. A staff member from reception, she was lovely. When visiting Ubud again we intend to stay here. Thank you Cendana, our trip to Bali has been a real success mostly due to your attention and friendliness. There are a number of other establishments that could do with a few service tips from your staff. Our daughter Emi has not been more comfortable.

Room Tip: If you want a fridge or even a TV, you will need to book a room other than the standard, this will i...
1  Thank Varkser
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We booked 3 deluxe rooms, upstairs at the back of the resort overlooking the pool. Rms 302, 303 & 304 just as requested. All rooms were spacious and clean. Bathroom was large with a bath. No water issues.
Beds were comfortable and great views from the balcony.
Each room had a desk but no power points. There was a power point in another corner for the TV however and another behind the bedhead which was impossible to reach. The only accessible power point is in the bathroom. Down lights were in odd positions and didn't cast much light.
The pools are the selling point for this resort as are the beautiful views of the rice fields from the back (chlorine) pool. Finding a pool chair was never a problem and the restaurant is close for drinks & meals and overlooks the pool also.
We found service to be ordinary when wanting drinks, we always felt we were dragging staff away from watching their favourite TV show. We ate tea at the restaurant once and it was ok but nothing to write home about. I didn't see many people eating at the restaurant over the 3 days we were there. The free buffet breakfast was good. There is no egg station. There was a slightly different selection each morning, but no cereals from memory.
At night we could hear the nightclub, but it wasn't enough to keep us awake. You can hear the bass, but can't make out what the songs are. I'm glad I wasn't at the front of the hotel because it was every night.
We inquired at the hotel's spa only to be told that they don't do anything after 5 or early in the morning and they charge for the hot tub which is only cold and we needed to give them a days notice so they could put water in it. It all seemed too hard so we went elsewhere. The spa area does look large and lovely though and sits right at the back of the hotel grounds.
Pathways and steps hurt my feet to walk on, but on the positive side, they're not slippery!
I don't regret staying at Cendana, but it's a little pricey for what you get and the location is very good.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Cendana Resort and Spa

Accommodation
Rustic decor - can be acquired taste.
Sleep area isn't very big but bathroom is huge - quite a lot of wasted area in the bathroom.
Bathroom has only one rack for multiple towels. Rack is placed quite high up and difficult to reach.
No other place in the bathroom where you can hang your clothes and distance between towel rack and shower is very far.
Room is quite old but very clean.
Airconditioner in good working condition.
Main door is locked using normal padlocks by securing the 2 traditonal ring knobs. This may be a security risk for those who are very conscious as the padlocks are only used when no one is in the room, thereby telling potential criminals that the room is unattended.
Mosquito nets drape over the bed frame and Baygon electric mosquito repellent is also available but we did not get bitten by any mosquito.
2 International adaptors were also available for plugs from all over the world.

Rooms overlook a beautiful and lusciously green rice field. Simply soothing to the eyes.

Facilities
Hot water flask/kettle is not available. The staff however provides extremely prompt service when we dialled room service and asked for small pots of hot water. The same service and speed is provided when the request is made of the front desk. And when we requested for the water to be brought only 15mins later (so that we have time to settle down before making our own teas), the pots came at the requested time with water still hot.

Hot water shower is available but we had to wait for the water to run for about 3 to 5min before the water turned warm.

There are 2 pools in the hotel, one of which is an infinity pool overlooking the green rice field.

Breakfast - included in stay although not mentioned on hotels.com
I love the breakfast! Pan fried honey-baked ham, toasted cheese sandwich, fried Indonesian noodles, fried rice, corn flakes, yoghurt, fresh fruits, banana pancakes, plain pancakes, Indonesian kueh, sunny side up eggs, omelette, bacon.
My favourite part of the breakfast is freshly blended fruit juice of my choice. You can choose from watermelon to banana to pineapple or even fresh cononut juice.

Location
Hotel is located in the hub of central ubud where many boutiques, restaurants, minimarts etc are available within 20metres from hotel lobby!
It is also 15min walk away from the popular Ibu Oka Babi Guling (crispy pork skin).

Extremely good value for money. If not for the many accommodation options and variety available in Ubud, I would return here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ptaxol
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We just loved Cendana. It was by far our highlight out of the 4 different hotels we stayed in Bali. It is located right in the heart of Monkey Forest road, but extends away from the road and is so quiet and peaceful. We could pop out quickly to the shops or to an ATM, then moments latter be relaxing in the beautiful saltwater pool which overlooks the ricepaddies. But the biggest highlight was the staff! The were so friendly, helpful and you can relax and know that they will look after you. The rooms were clean and cute. Perhaps the bathrooms are a little dated, but they were clean and functional which is more than you get at many other places that cost much more. They also have an amazing breakfast too!! We highly recommend Cendana and will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family