“Good value hotel, excellent village atmosphere, modern amenities, helpful staff”
Review of Tegal Sari

Tegal Sari
Ranked #32 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Each room in this hotel is unique.

Book with a specific room number in mind. Do get an upstair rooms.

No breakfast? No problem, you are free to fill water bottle in water dispensers in the reception and open air gym, and you can have nasi goreng for Rp 25k ++ delivered to your room. Or you can buy milk and corn flakes, instant noodles, eggs, and fresh fruits, from the supermarket near the hotel.

For the first night we are here, we got room number 32, a wooden deluxe room that is just wonderful. We then got moved to a standard deluxe room, which is nice, but not as beautiful as room 32.

The hotel is located on hanoman street, nearing the end of the street. If you continue moving in hanoman street, you will meet a large "coco supermarket" to your left, with the hanoman slightly branching into left and right.
Take the left branch and about 300 meters, the access road to the hotel will be on your right, after "warung enak"

The parking lot is quite spacious. However, if you carry luggage, ask the hotel staff to help you, since from the parking lot is a 30 meter uneven pathway to the open air reception.
And from the reception, it can be another 20 to 150 meter walk across uneven terrain and staircases to your room.

The staff is consistently helpful, their level of support is on par with the five star hotel in Nusa Dua or Jimbaran. I was looking to rent a motorcycle, the hotel was out of motorcycle,and its employee go to a nearby rental shop to make sure that they are open and have motorcycle available.

The only gripe i have was that at one point in time, there's a water flood in my room floor in one morning. Later in the evening we establish that the source is from a failed air con drainage. Somehow the drainage got blocked and water that supposed to come out started to go back into the room.
This was quite late in the evening, the hotel employee was a bit slow to come and repair the damage, and it took some time for him. To establish that he needs another employee's help. The repair took about 75 minutes, so there was my wife, cannot sleep at 23:30 because there are two male strangers in her room. They were polite but it's still uncomfortable.
Rather than offering us to move, the employee did a repair with us being there. Perhaps the hotel is booked, but we paid in advance so that we can get a good rest when we need it, so we can be fresh and ready for the next day itinerary.

The overall attitude of the staff is courteous, polite, and helpful. As i said, 5 star service.

Another good point is that the room is squeaky clean. This is the only hotel where we don't feel the need to wear slippers in the room. I was particularly impressed with the wooden style room, you can just feel how clean the wooden floor is when you step on it. The bathrooms is equally clean, I am a fanatic about clean bathrooms, and I appreciate the amount of mopping, scrubbing, and wiping a clean bathroom requires. I can see that the bathroom was cleaned meticulously

However, the cleaning seem to degrade with each passing day of stay, as if they clean the room real good for a new guest, but when a guest in staying in the room, the level of work is different.

The hotel site is like long rope that runs parallel to hanoman road. And one end is the reception, accessible from hanoman road, at the other end, due the hotel length, is warung semesta accessible from monkey forest road.

The pathway in the hotel is not roofed, be ready to get sprinkled when it rains and you need to walk to and from the rooms.

One key advantage of this long site is that the site is flanked, for its entire length, by paddy fields.
So no matter which you room you are in, you will be treated with a good view of green lush carpet of paddy field. When you are in the room looking outside, it's hard to believe that you are inside the ubud city.

Furthermore, the rooms is quite well equipped despite it's village setting and interior. I am spoiled traveller, so i do want an air con, refrigerator, modern hygienic shower and toilet.
In some rooms, there's a large bathtub for two.
In most rooms, i really love this, there's no TV. It was here in Tegal Sari, that i remember, how tranquil, relaxed, and free live without TV is.

I thought having no TV will disturb me, but actually, it set me free to totally enjoy my vacation, to have intimate conversations with my wife, to spend time reading books undistracted by the next good show.

Great place if you want a reasonably priced, modernly furnished, and well run place to stay in Ubud.

Book far in advance.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SendyFilemon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Gorgeous, clean interior. Helpful, friendly staff. Tips: 1. Book a tour with their staff (very professional + air conditioned car), 2. Order breakfast to your room (no extra charge), 3. Bring a water bottle (free water dispensers around the property). Great for a romantic getaway or a family trip.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
singapore
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I visit ubud at least three times a year and my choices of accommodation is wide. I have stayed in upmarket hotels as well as quaint local b and bs. I must say tegal sari is mu current favorite - simply because for it's excellent value for money. It has not lost it's soul in the midst of organized housekeeping nd excellent service. The vibe is magical, I especially enjoy the sunset rice field scenery, with ducks a-quacking homeward bound...
If I have to suggest any area of improvement it wil be their payment method - customers must do a bank transfer to secure bookings. Hospitality industry without credit card facility is a major handicap.
Also, this is the first time I have encountered a hotel that does not include breakfast in their room charges. This is pretty rare in Bali
These inconveniences will soon dissipate when u immerse yourself in this tiny heaven in the center of ubud.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank tazawa
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I stayed in Tegal Sari for 3 nights with my husband. We stayed in wooden and super deluxe rooms. Their wooden rooms get booked months in advance as they are tastefully done and are located on the other end of the property. Having said that, super deluxe was not inferior in anyways, they just don't have the wooden flooring and the king bed. The property is set in the midst of rice paddy fields however, the market is at a walking distance. So location wise this property definitely scores high.
Talking about the staff, you couldn't ask for more polite and helpful people. They were always ready to help you in any manner possible. We never had to ask them to get the room cleaned. When we were on pool or breakfast they get the room cleaned without having asked. So we were always coming back to a clean and done room.
They provide free pickup and drop to the central ubud market which is not very far.
Food is good and reasonably priced. Room service and minibar are also priced same as the set menu. You can order breakfast in your room or have it at one of their 2 restaurants.

It was a pleasant stay for me and I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for a value for money accommodation. Would definitely like to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IndianRovers
Singapore
Reviewed December 12, 2013

All the reviews you might see in travel books just don't do this place justice. Tegal Sari is located very near all the major eats and sights in Central Ubud. What's even better is the free shuttle service within the Central Ubud area! The Super Deluxe room we got was very spacious and unbelievably affordable. The best thing has to be the quality service, right from booking all the way to check-out. Highly recommended!!

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed December 12, 2013

This accommodation why by far the best in Ubud. The room offered everything I needed. The gardens and surroundings were so peaceful and the outlook to the rice fields was so beautiful. The staff were always friendly and very helpful and the food was very nice. I wish I had stayed here longer. I will definitely return to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I, a total of 9 adults and 4 children, stayed at Tegal Sari for 5 nights. We had an awesome time! The staff is genuine and hospitable and they all had a ready smile on their face whenever we saw them. Food was tasty and reasonably priced and the rooms are great. Location is fantastic too! It was definitely money well-spent!

I stayed at the duplex which has a jacuzzi on the 1st floor with the bedroom on the 2nd level, overlooking gorgeous fields of padi. My friends & family had the super deluxe rooms. Despite the daily cleaning, there bound to be lizards and some ants in the room, as Tegal Sari is located in the midst of nature. So don't freak out when you do see lizard's poo. :)

We booked a day tour with the hotel and they're flexible and accommodating. They took us to the places of interest in Bali, based on our needs and requests.

Special mention to the Mt Batur trekking tour which was led by Sudarta and Koma (I hope I spelt their names right) who not only drove us there but took the efforts to climb Mt Batur with us and also brought up our breakfast and flasks of hot water to make us hot coffee & tea at the peak of the mountain! I've climbed Batur twice but I've never had any other hotel staff who accompanied me on the trek. Usually the mountain guides will guide us but this time round, we had the Sudarta & Koma from Tegal Sari & 2 other guides from the Mt Batur Association. We were very grateful and also impressed by the impeccable service provided by these 2 staff at Tegal Sari. :)

Idah and the staff at front desk were also very helpful to help us make bookings for massages and reservations at restaurants. It's always prompt and confirmed as soon as they could.

Room service was not charged at an extra rate. It's the same price as what's stated in the normal menu. And very reasonably priced too!

Free transport is provided within the Ubud centre and that makes shopping so much more enjoyable & hassle free.

We just arrived back in Singapore & I'm already planning when we can go back to Tegal Sari again!

Thank you once again for the great stay!

Tegal Sari is definitely a home away from home! :)

Thank you once again and I hope everyone

• Stayed December 2013