“The beauty of Bali” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tegal Sari

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ubud
Tegal Sari
Ranked #32 of 193 Hotels in Ubud
Makati, Philippines
“The beauty of Bali”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

This place exceeds my expectation...Truly as reviewed by others, this is a place to be in Bali and in Ubud. A place to stay and experience the beauty of Bali.

Overall our experienced here is so wonderful, from the time we were picked up from the airport by their friendly staff down to the actual amazement of our room. All their staff always greet you and have a smile on their face. The place is so quiet and so peaceful that you can totally indulge in the luxury of relaxation.

Room - excellent, need I say more on the picture attached, everything is so perfect from the view, to the bed, the bathroom and the veranda

Service - everything you need will be given to you by their friendly and accommodating staff

Breakfast/food - it's not included in the stay but you should try their own resto - food are cheap but taste good. They can serve your breakfast in your room facing the beautiful view of the rice field

Location - damn great, it's near the best restaurants and shops in Ubud, walking distance to the monkey forest and Ubud center

Others - they have free shuttle if you don't feel like walking to Ubud center. Should book 6 months before your stay since they are always fully booked

I assure you, you're stay hear will be very memorable as you experience the beauty of Bali

Room Tip: Choose the wooden room, it's like you stay in a five star hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kent P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I had the pleasure of a 5 night stay in August 2013.

This delightful property is set amidst lush fields of shimmering green rice and the setting is extremely peaceful. The hotel is located a short stroll from the Monkey Forest complex and the heart of Ubud is a mere 10 minute walk away after that

I had the pleasure of staying in a wooden super deluxe room with a delightful direct view of the rice fields. The room was very spacious and atmospheric with a lovely 4 poster king sized bed. There was a large private patio in front of the room with chairs and a day bed. I ate breakfast on the patio looking out over this wonderful vista a few times.

I also swam in the outdoor swimming pool with its stone design and extended view over the rice fields.

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble, The hotel offered amazing value for its level of comforts and service.

I highly recommend Tegal Sari and would be happy to come back in a heartbeat if I was staying in Ubud again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Espinho, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Simply one of the best Hotels i have ever been, and I have been in quite a few, you get 5 star service for a very affordable price, from pick up in the airport, to the welcome drind, the room, we were mostly please with everything:

Pros:
Staff
Facilities
Views
Price

Cons:
Booking service
Room door not locking completely

All together the cons are very minimum for all the service, just go there, if you can find any availability, they are always full

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Filipe_11
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I decided to stay in Ubud following my friend’s recommendation. Next was finding somewhere suitable to stay. I decided to stay at Tegal Sari after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. I emailed them to make a booking but their reservation system is really slow, they seem to take about two days to reply. To a point where I rang them up, but was just told to email them the booking request. I initially wanted to stay in a superior and when they got back to me all they could offer me was the Super Deluxe, wasn’t too thrilled about it as a solo traveller and incurring more expense, but then was looking forward to it after seeing the pictures. But by the time they replied again, the Superior Duluxe was gone and I was offered the Superior. But that was for one night only and I needed a place to stay for two nights. It was all a bit of a mish mash in terms of their availability. I get that they’re really popular and busy, but it was a bit inconvenient having to move hotels etc after one night. They did however, offer me one of their villas. Which was on special promotion, due to being near the construction area building their extension. It wasn't cheap, especially for a solo traveller. As a couple, yes, the price is reasonable. The price of the villa was twice the amount of what it cost of the room I had for one night. But after a lot of thought, I thought it would be a treat. In the end, the price is cheap compared to other countries, if you’d be looking at villas, they would be more than £100. A small room in NYC costs £100 a night, nevermind a whole villa for £100 (or less) complete with your own private pool!

I arrived into Bali and was met with a huge immigration queue. I did previous research and it showed that I did not need a visa to enter the country. It was wrong, you have to buy a visa upon arrival. It is about $25 USD if I remember correctly.

Once I made my way out of the airport, oh my, it was SO SO hot!! I had trouble locating my driver (from the hotel) and there were a lot of people just offering you services which was a bit unnerving. I couldn't call the hotel because my phone would not dial the number. Eventually, I found my driver and we made our way to the car. He advised me that it was an hour's drive and that I should perhaps grab a bite to eat or drink first. I took his advice on the drink and we were off!

The driver was really friendly and chatty and you do pass on some interesting places on the way to Tegal Sari. Like pottery places that make the statuses.

When we arrived to the hotel, I was given a welcome drink. The entrance is homely and the reception area is quaint. I was shown to my room for the night - it was on an upstairs balcony, though, I must admit the stairway up to my room was very dark and a bit scary!

The room was lovely, I had a twin bed and it was very spacious, but I was much looking forward to staying at the villa the next day, as one of the staff showed me the villa before taking me to my room. I was so glad I decided to stay at the villa instead of moving into a nearby hotel.

The first room was fine, although, I know it was because of the climate, there were ants everywhere in the bathroom. My room did seem rather noisy as I could hear staff behind, messing about with the generator and at one point the power went out for a few seconds before it powered back on.

You do get free rides into town and nearby areas, just ask at the desk and they will book you in. I decided to go into town, this was about 9pm. I shared the van with other guests and was dropped off on a main road and told to walk down into the centre which was just across the way. I did feel very intimidated, it was very dark (hardly any street lights) and it was just full of men trying to sell you tickets for a show or asking if you need a taxi. I wanted to leave. I did not feel safe at all. I didn't go the way the driver told me to go into town. I just stayed on the main road and wanted to find something to eat. I stopped by a lovely restaurant and after my dinner, I asked them to call Tegal Sari to come pick me up (complimentary service! bonus). I waited some 10-15 mins at the same point where I was dropped off and again, I was very wary of my surroundings. A huge sigh of relief when I got back to the hotel I must say!

The next morning, I checked out the rice paddies. I had the impression you could walk through it from the previous reviews I read but you can't. You can view it all from the reception area and there are a bunch of baby ducks roaming about the paddies. Rice Paddies check.

I checked into the villa, and I was so ecstatic! You get a private pool, private kitchen and private bathroom (all outdoor), it was fantastic. Your villa bedroom has window doors but you have curtains for privacy. Depending on which villa you have and the time of day, I guess it depends on the amount of sun you get. I got a bit!

There is a pool and gym area for other guests too.

Next I did a bit of exploring on the main road outside Tegal Sari and stopped by the local supermarket - which is fab for souvenirs. I also stopped by for lunch at a restaurant along the road. I then made my way back to Tegal Sari who had a driver take me to their partner spa facility, which was a short drive.

I would highly recommend the spa deals they advertise.

The staff at Tegal Sari are very welcoming and friendly. Although, it is difficult to book in here, there is a good reason for it - it is just too popular!! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone.

It is also close to the monkey forest too and their on-site restaurant, Warung Semesta, which is a few steps from the villas - is absolutely yummy!

Oh! If you've never been to Bali before, you'll need to pay to get out of the country too! about $25USD so don't spend all your money like I did! I didn't know about this until the hotel reception guy asked if I had any money left for the exit! Which I didn't so I had to change currency at the airport! I'd recommend staying more than two nights in the country to make it worth the $50USD entry/exit fee, otherwise, it can be a bit steep!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Zeva2010
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

The overall service for our 2 nights stay was top notch. Upon checking in, the receptionist will lead us to our villa and explain through everything in the room. From how to use a kettle to opening hidden fridge in the cabinet. Our villa was so spacious and the view is marvelous. Extremely tidy room and barely find a drop of dust on the tables. Breakfast was delivered to our villa but is not the best breakfast that i've had. Booking is required atleast 6-9 months prior to your stay. But will definitely come back again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Great and helpful staff and great rooms. Staff can sometimes act as if they are your servant which I don't really like, but overall it was a great stay. Ubud area can get very busy, but the apartments are always quiet and nice.

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

This was a really impressive resort. We stayed 2 nights in the super deluxe room and received first class service throughout our stay! It took us such a long time to decide for this resort as there are so many to choose from in Bali, but I’m glad we did.. The reviews weren’t lying! Super pretty rooms in “Balinese” style and pretty gardens all around. It’s not a huge property by any means, so you really get looked after. The evenings are quiet and relaxing. They offer a great massage (you can actually have it in your room, but I chose to go to the hotel spa). The staff were all so sweet, and I sincerely wished we could have stayed longer. Planning to go back! I highly recommend Tegal Sari but think me and my wife might have been bored if we stayed longer than a couple of days. 2 nights was ideal!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple