“Beautiful property; excellent service; friendly vibes; bang for the buck”
Review of Tegal Sari

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ubud
Tegal Sari
Ranked #25 of 200 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed September 20, 2012

It was a pity that we could stay only for 2 days due to non availability of the rooms. The only very minor flipside was the reservation process, which took more than usual. But it was overshadowed by, what I can call our best stay during the Bali trip.

The positives:
a. Very green property surrounded by scenic views of paddy fields, Monkey Forest and a sunset which can give competition to a beach sunset.
b. Very cheerful staff - always smiling, ready to help and exuding a feeling that the service is genuine and not being forced on them - all resulting in a wonderful friendly vibe.
c. Even though not absolute close to the main Ubud market; there is always on hand a transport option, which was very helpful - be it reaching the Barong Dance or generally to roam around.
d. Availability of rental bikes, umbrellas, wonderful travel advice, a very different stone based swimming pool with a mini waterfall and of course nice food.

To sum up, was a hidden gem - do not doubt its substantial ascent in the TA rankings since Dec 11, when we visited.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,628)

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed in super deluxe wooden room, unfortunately just for one night, wish to stay for few more days. Nice view and setup with affordable price. All the staffs are helpful and friendly. Worthwhile staying, but sad thing is we didn't manage had good sleep at night as there is some kind of noise (? birds) throughout the night. Overall......thumb up =)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kuan_siew
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Hi, We recently stayed here on our Bali trip and the hotel continues to provide great service, with friendly staff and efficient service. We were due to stay in a Villa ( Villa Bambu ) unfortunately we found it quite noisy with the traffic, but luckily after two nights we were transferred to upstairs deluxe room number 32 which we found much quieter. The Villa was superbly appointed, and had it been quieter it would have been a superb stay there. As it was, the deluxe room was more than adequate, but sadly only for 3 nights before we had to change hotels, as Tegal Sari is always busy! The staff happily refunded the difference for the 10 nights we had paid, which my wife promptly used to pay for her trip next year where she will meet her sister! We would have liked to have stayed the whole 10 days here, but alas, it wasn't to be. Next time we will just book a deluxe upstairs room.
The food was it's usual high standard, for very cheap, and we enjoyed breakfast on the balcony of our upstairs room, each day we were there.
The staff recognised us from our previous visits here. We would have no hesitation recommending this hotel for travelers heading to Ubud. Thank you!

Room Tip: Upstairs deluxe is always good. We stayed this time in room 32
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Tegal Sari won't be everyone's cup of tea but for the budget traveller its good value. We stayed 7 nights at Tegal with the first three in the duplex and the rest in super deluxe. These villa style rooms are dated (rustic feel) and the older part of the complex in which modern luxurious accommodation are being built, but all overlook serene rice fields. Breakfast is not included but relatively inexpensive ($4-$6 for a set menu breakfast) and there are other choices nearby if bored with inhouse. There is also a spa where one can get massage and reflexology called Pertenin which is part of Tegal but about 5mins by car. Pertenin was very good and we recommend it although there is a plethora of choices in Ubud. Tegal has its own restaurant which again is very heap but the old quality is very good. The location of Tegal is very good and within easy walking distance to town centre (30 mins for a slow stroll) and monkey forest. Be sure to wander around Ubud's hidden streets which are postcard perfect. The staff at Tegal were great and really that goes to most Balinese, a wonderful people. Overall it was a very good experience and we will definitely be back in Ubud. The experience was made even better with Gede who was our private tour guide on three different days and took us to many wonderful places, tourist and non tourist. His English is very good and we highly recommend him, you'll have fun (he was recommended to us and he surpassed all our expectations). His contact details are: Mob 081 856 2910 or email gdsudarta@gmail.com. Tell him Peter sent you

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Caesar72
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Our second stay at Tegal Sari was just as relaxing as the the first last year. The staff are so friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. The little extras like having a safe in the room, access to unlimited water, tea and coffee in your room and free shuttle to and from Ubud really make this excellent value for money. Our room with terrace was very comfortable and breakfast was great. Highly recommended. Karen & Graham

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms avoid the steep stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This was my second stay at Tegal Sari and it was just as lovely as my first stay a year ago. I stayed in the Wooden Room which was beautiful. I especially loved having my coffee and excellent banana pancakes on my balcony each morning overlooking the stunning and serene rice fields. The staff were wonderful, friendly and welcoming as they were a year ago. A special thanks to Indra and Ayu who made my stay last year and this year so lovely. I cannot recommend Tegal Sari enough. Absolutely my favourite place to stay in Ubud.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed at Tegal Sari for a week from the 17th of August to the 24th. They collected us from the airport at a rate that makes me wonder why anyone else uses any other method of transferring!
The first surprise was that all the staff remembered us from March last year and seemed so happy to see us again- I am a cynical soul sometimes, but these people are genuine. We were escorted to our room and the staff happily hauled our gear up the stairs to the Wooden Room, where the extra bed we had ordered for the friend who accompanied us was already in place.
I hadn't had that room before and it was gorgeous. The big verandah looking over the rice fields is a great place to relax in the mornings and evenings- during the first few days we were mostly out until we recovered our senses and declared a couple of relaxation days.
The rooms are kept spotlessly clean,the housekeeping is of a very high order, and we had breakfast every day at the hotel's own dining room. There would have been no extra charge for room service, but we like the waitstaff and find their meals great value and very pleasant.
We moved twice within the hotel during our stay, from the Wooden room to the room downstairs and then back up again, and the staff were marvellous. I'm glad I tried the lower room, but I preferred the upstairs on for the view and the breezes. However I'm certain the stairs are for the nimble- in the next ten years or so I will be settling for downstairs only, I'm sure.
While we were in Ubud we all went for massage at the spa the hotel is associated with- free transport there, free pickup after, and IR95000 for the best part of an hour massage during which I always go to sleep.
Which brings me to the topic of how much can be safely left to the hotel- almost everything!
Their rate for changing money is actually better than the boards outside the money changers. The hotel's laundry service is efficient and reasonably priced. When I wanted to book flights to Lombok I took myself to the manager and he did it for me: tickets arrived that afternoon, at the price I had expected to be paying. One day Bob remained at the hotel and when we came to pick him up he had decided to do the kite-making class, and was putting the final touches to his creation- he may have been the oldest student ever! When it soared over the ricefields I rang the desk to tell them, and they sent out one of the staff to admire the spectacle and help retrieve a million miles of string. I am sorry we didn't manage to take our friend to a dance performance, we just ran out of time, but I would have got the hotel to book it if it had been possible.

This trip was more hectic than the last- Bob had booked a heap of stuff for the first 3 days, so we had to hit the ground running. Next time I will INSIST on a day of idleness after arrival, to let the peace and charm of Tegal Sari sink into my soul.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends