“Probably the best hotel in the world”
Review of Tegal Sari

Tegal Sari
Ranked #32 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Gent
“Probably the best hotel in the world”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

After about 17 years of visiting places everywhere in the world, Tegal Sari possibly wins the top spot in the “best hotel ever” category (stiff competition from Kelebek in Turkey). Its people are extremely nice, the food is brought to your large room terrace (for no extra price than what you'd pay in the restaurant – and only if you wish) where the views of the rice paddies are simply gorgeous. Rooms are great and unbelievably affordable, everything is available, nothing is a problem and – I might have mentioned this already: ooh boy those rice paddies. And the nice thing is that, as the rooms are all in one long line, everyone has the view.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FonsV

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed in Tegal Sari for three nights at the wooden room.
Room is clean, well-organised and the view is simply beautiful.
Breakfast is not included but one can order it from their restaurant and have it sent to the room at very reasonable prices.
The quality of food certainly meets up to standard.
In terms of service, the housekeeping did a fantastic job.
They went the extra mile of arranging our personal items.
There's free pickup and dropoff at ubud centre area.
Staff are more than helpful and friendly.
Even the gardener greet you with the ultimate sincerity.
It's truely exceptional hospitality.
For the price I am paying, I really couldnt ask for anything more.
They really made my stay in ubud a very memorable one.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Western Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Another memorable holiday at the Tegal Sari with my husband and good friends! Yet again, the hotel was a wonderful place to stay in Ubud with its lovely gardens, friendly staff and consistently high standards. Our rooms were extremely clean, well appointed (facing the rice fields) and provided the level of comfort and relaxation we needed for an excellent price. I did not experience any problem with my online booking and replies to all my questions and requests were always answered promptly, professionally and most politely. Just a note of caution, while we were there it did rain quite a lot and this makes the white tiles and garden walkways very slippery. I actually did slip over on the tiles and was left with a few bruises and sore back. But it was a managable injury unlike others I saw in Ubud and then in Legian with crutches, bandages and slings. Care is definately needed when travelling around Bali, especially in the wet weather. Other than that, the trip to Ubud was fantastic and we would not hesitate to stay at the Tegal Sari again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
bangkok
Reviewed August 8, 2012

It's for good reason this hotel is always busy. The staff are excellent, the rooms are fantastic and the prices are very fair. This is the first time that breakfast hasn't been included in our rate, so prices have effectively gone up. However with this system you have a better choice and breakfast prices are reasonable and it's great to have breakfast on the balcony. My only issue was the persistent Internet failures, around half of the time we were there, but it may not be a constant issue and will not stop me booking again for our next visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Like another reviewer we had tried to book a room for November this year and waited 4 days for a response. Replied to confirm payment and a form to do so. Never heard from them again. I waited a week and sent them an email to cancel my request to be told that same day that my room has been released. I had emaile to clarify there was no initial payment or confirmation of my booking dating my email back almost 2 weeks. Have yet to receive any response. I dont want to say their motivations are all sales driven but it was looking like that. I have booked next door to Greenfields and was able to book and confirm it within the business day!

• Stayed November 2011
10 Thank Belinda243
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Pros:

- ok location, near Monkey Forest, in one morning we saw around 10 monkeys in the rice fields right in front of us, some monkeys has jumped over our roof top
- we stayed 5 nights in Wooden Room, upstairs ( only two in the complex ), excelent space, good cleaning service every day
- comfortable king size bed, quiet and efficient aircon in the night
- free safe-box
- balcony is a great place to take the very good breakfast ( not included in the price of the room ), you can choose from four type of breakfast or a la carte ( per each items )
- nice little pool, nothing fancy
- massage house ( 2 places ), next to the pool, 85.000 IDR + taxes / 1h balinese massage
- fridge on the balcony, with beer/juices at decent prices ( never used ), we used for our items
- easy to use shuttle car into town and back ( used two times in the night, picked us from the barong / legong / fire / trance dance shows )
- very nice / helpful personal staff ( thank you all !!! )
- fast check-in and check-out

Cons:

- lights very weak in the room
- no tv in the room, not important anyway
- wi-fi has a very inconsistent / weak signal
- problem in one day with the hot water for 1h, they had to change the gas cylinder and we was in the hurry

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Metalactual
anywhere in the world
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of days. Lovely location, next to rice paddies but still quite close to the centre of Ubud. Maybe not so easy to find, I used a satnav. If you need it, the locations is: S 8d31m10s E115d15m42s (in degrees, minutes, seconds - I am sure you can convert as appropriate).

The gardens are lovely, typical Balinese style. The terrace of our room overlooked both the gardens and the rice paddies behind, very calm and relaxing. Stunning views (please see my photos)

The room was large, and very clean. And in typical Balinese style too. Very nice. The bathroom was pretty huge too.

Highly recommended if you are staying in the Ubud area. Excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Book early as they get booked up in advance. And more importantly, try to book by phone rather than...