“Really mixed bag”
Review of Neka Art Museum

Neka Art Museum
Ranked #10 of 135 things to do in Ubud
Reviewed July 2, 2014

The kris collection was GORGEOUS and really diverse. If you have any interest in ceremonial knives, go and enjoy!

The rest of the collection was eclectic and didn't provide any overview or clear timeline of the development of Balinese artistic traditions. It felt very hit or miss.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

This is a great museum of the recent history of Balinese painting. The place could do with some better text on the wall which explains the significance of the artist or the style and how it links to the development of different styles, but I don't think this is in the style of this place. I am amazed by the lack of archival display techniques but it is definitely in the style of the Bali way.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

A must visit, easy walk north from Anini Raka where we stayed, other wise about 30 mins walk from Ubud town.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

The Neka has an excellent collection of traditional Balinese art. This and the ARMA museum are essential destinations.

1  Thank FDK-Seattle
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Balinese painting has a very particular style, and I suppose I don't particularly like it. Not that I dislike it or can't appreciate the creativity and composition, use of colour etc, I just find myself getting quite tired and a bit disinterested quite quickly.

I also can't help but ponder (this may be my underlying problem) that I am looking at representations of Balinese life as seen (I think exclusively), through the eyes of men, be they locals or visitors, and that not infrequently concern young, semi-naked women.

Having said that, I did find a number of extremely painterly works.

The gardens are pretty, it's a good place to escape central Ubud, note that the cafe closes early, and it's cool.

I'd certainly recommend you visit as the written notes to paintings are informative about Balinese traditions and culture.

Only people who want something for nothing would baulk at the 50,000Rp entry fee.

Been to Neka Art Museum? Share your experiences!