“Authentic Bali Location”

The Payogan Villa Resort & Spa
Ranked #89 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
“Authentic Bali Location”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We came and stayed at The Payogan for our honeymoon. Our room was large, clean, tidy and modern. We were given complimentary fruit on arrival and there was a heart made of rose petals on our bed. Staff were friendly and polite. Food was very good and the restaurant overlooked a stunning infinity pool, with an included swim-up bar. A taxi driver for the company drove us around for the 5 days we were there. He was very knowledgeable and showed us around the village where The Payogan is located. A great place to stay in Ubud. Thank you to all the staff at The Payogan.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Libby N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Absolutely fantastic, seriously. Perfect. When we arrived to the hotel our breath was taken away by the view and the gorgeous main building and we continued to be impressed over and over again. The staff was so welcoming and just absolutely fantastic, seriously I can't compliment them enough, especially Yan!! Did I mention how awesome the staff is?!
We were upgraded from a room to a villa because they had spare ones that hadn't been booked (how nice is that?!) and it was GORGEOUS! The kind of villa you see in travel documentaries, with its own infinity pool and a view overlooking the rice fields and a huge outdoor bathtub for two (since I was just there with my buddy we used it as a hot tub since it was rainy during our stay!).
The restaurant is admittedly just okay, meals were included with our booking through our travel agent so we ate there a ton and it was solidly good and very convenient, but if we had had to pay for the food we probably would have eaten out. The spa was beautiful and very very good! You can find far cheaper services in the town for sure, but we never found an overall atmosphere that beat that of Payogan's spa, and it still wasn't that expensive. As a tip I would say that when you are out during the day and coming back in the evening, close the curtains and don't leave the lights on - it will attract a lot lot lot of bugs. We learned our lesson the first day and after that once we closed everything up during the day we had practically no bugs the rest of our stay.
Those minor things were literally the only "downsides" of our stay, it was the best hotel experience I have ever had and I would love to go back again!!
As a side note, Ubud is an amazing little city with awesome shopping (make sure you barter for a third of the price and they will come down to about half price of what they quoted you at first - common practice). The sights are fantastic and we enjoyed the authentic atmosphere way more than when we went to Seminyak and Ulutwatu. I have heard people leave Bali with a definite opinion of the best spot to stay and I found it is true - If I ever get to come back I am an Ubud girl all the way!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kristin H
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed January 26, 2014

A village with ages but still charm by the old day glory.
The villa is large with a private pool, comfortable and quiet.
The stuff and house keeping maid are helpful.
We enjoyed the dinner with candles at the villa pool, and the massage in the room.
Every villa has a private pool with different size and shade, I think I was lucky to own a perfect one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank evenday
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

We recently enjoyed three nights on a family trip in a two bedroom pool valley villa.
The rooms have high ceilings / two bathrooms - including an outdoor shower / bathtub / luscious green views of the valley / two stocked mini fridges / one TV / and of course a pool in the villa.
My parents are in their late 60's and the staff accommodated to all of their needs in a swift and attentive manner.
Food was tasty, breakfast was fair and reasonable. Room service were incredibly forthcoming and delivered right on cue! We preferred the local food at the hotel as opposed to the local cuisine outside of the hotel - perhaps as we were starving after our long swimming sessions!
Please note that the resort is undergoing construction however this did not affect us at all! (We stayed in villa 202).
Stairs were a concern for my parents, so we called for the buggy - which again arrived in no time.
There is a shuttle bus that operates on a timetable that will be provided by the hotel. In the event you miss the return shuttle bus, a taxi will cost IDR 50,000 (AUD 4.50 approx)
Unfortunately there is no gym/fitness centre on site (hence why I'm giving 4/5 in my review)
Afternoon tea from 3pm was a good treat.
The staff at this hotel are fantastic, I can't stress this enough. They are genuine and are more than happy to accommodate! A very special thank you to Ms Dian!!! She was so attentive and even took the time to ensure that we could have a massage at the last minute even though the spa was fully booked!
Ms Dian, thank you again to you and your staff for welcoming us to your resort, we will be back again for sure!!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Mulie
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My husband and I stayed in a Garden Villa for 7 nights recently and had a fantastic stay. The room itself was huge with the toilet, bath and shower situated outside in an enclosed area - beautiful. Insects, spiders, geckos, frogs etc. were in our room (as well as in the bathroom area outside) but this added to the experience. We did buy a can of insect spray and fumigated the room each evening so the creepy crawlies wouldn't affect our sleep! The bed was incredibly large (2 king singles pushed together) with soft sheets and pillows.

Breakfast and afternoon tea was included in our rate. Breakfast was served from 7am to 11am and it was rather nice having a late black tea and sweets after spending the day outside the resort as afternoon tea was available from 2pm to 6pm.

The shuttle times were 10am, 2pm, 5pm and 8pm to take you into Ubud and 10.30am, 2.30pm, 6.30pm and 8.30pm to return. We used this service a few times and it was necessary to use as the resort was too far from Ubud to walk.

As we didn't have our own pool we used the main pool every day. As it is a freshwater pool we didn't smell of chlorine - nice! Happy Hour (half priced drinks) at the pool bar was from 5pm to 7pm and with Bintang Large priced at 65 000 Rp and cocktails averaging 85 000 Rp they were extremely affordable (when halved) for a resort.

Although the resort had most of its villas occupied while we were there we very rarely came across other people. The grounds are large and the gardens are well maintained but some work is needed to be done on some of the buildings and paths etc. Previous comments about the decline in the resort are true, but it doesn't take away from the gorgeous setting and experience.

As the title suggests, the staff were wonderful with nothing being too much trouble. We were greeted each time as we walked through the lobby, the restaurant and around the grounds in general. A special mention must be made about Harung. He was absolutely delightful and we were a bit upset that we couldn't find him to say goodbye in person and thank him for looking after us so brilliantly.

Would we return - yes, particularly at the price that we paid ( a great deal through Expedia). If you go not expecting the world and enjoy the wonderful hospitality you will have a great time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank klbn
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed in a valley view pool villa at the Payogan in early January and it was lovely. While there were renovations going on, it didn't impact on our stay at all. The room was massive, the bathroom beautiful and the outdoor areas very pretty.
The only negative I can comment on was the food, but in hindsight we should have driven the 5 minutes to one of Ubud's great restaurants anyway.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Based on mixed reviews I was a bit reticent but thought we would make up our own mind. On arrival I presented my booking document which clearly stated Valley view room. We were warmly greeted by “Tiger” along with our welcome drink and whisked off on the golf buggy around the large property to our room, which apart from NOT being a valley view room, the room we were given had a strong sewerage stench. They quickly offered us another room but when I reminded them that it was not the room that we had booked they then said “we have room shortage due to renovations. In their defense, our room was a lovely big,clean room with our own private pool however it did not have a view or outside bathroom as depicted in the pictures. There were many unfinished aspects of our room and slip and trip hazards around. I am not a big one for breakfast but for the price breakfast was very disappointing with luke warm food and limited choice. I asked to view the room we should have been in. They promptly obliged and took us to a room that was occupied but the occupants were out and not aware that we were being shown through their room with all of their belongings on display. I refused to pay the price of our booked room.They kept insisting we were in a room of the same category. In the end they agreed on a charge $100 less than the booking price which is the appropriate price for a garden view room. The rooms we stayed in are not advertised on any travel site. The renovations are extensive and well in need as this place is old and run down with a lot of moss and mould. The room we got was a lovely room however it was the deceit that annoyed me. The best thing about this place was getting out of it and exploring in the local village and going to Kedwetan school and mixing with the delightful, local children.
I have traveled extensively throughout Bali and based on my own judgement I will not stay here again. This place has potential and maybe with an upgrade will deliver what it advertises. For the price there are so many other quality places. Do yourself a favour pay a little bit more and stay just up the road at the Komaneka Tanggguyda.
Positives - helpful, friendly staff, beautiful grounds and gardens.

Room Tip: check that you get what you booked. The new garden rooms are much better than the old, dark rooms ov...