“Very tidy hotel. Tranquil oasis hidden from street”

Champlung Sari Hotel
Ranked #89 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
Cairns, Australia
“Very tidy hotel. Tranquil oasis hidden from street”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We started our bali trip with the Champlung sari.
We decided to get the deluxe room which from what I can tell is much larger than a standard room and also has a huge balcony.
The room was exactly as depicted in the photos on the Website. The only minor issue was the lack of a shower screen or curtain in the bathroom made for very wet floors.
The service at this place is amazing. Even for bali's high standards. You can't go swimming in one of the 2 perfect pools for more more than a few minutes without being asked if you would like a cocktail bought to you poolside of course.
All staff speak good English and are very professional and very friendly.
The food is quite good. Slightly more expensive than local restaurants but not by much. The quality of food was also very good. For the western tourists don't bother with the steak. Not the best but why go to Bali to have steak?
I am intending on staying here when I come to Ubud again.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank KaitlinKelseySmith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
South Jordan, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here. The hotel grounds are very lovely. Service was very good. We chose this hotel to be close to the monkeys. Just a warning, if you don't like monkeys you won't like staying here. The very first morning here, we had monkeys on our balcony. I made the mistake of petting a small one. Her mother came flying at me from nowhere, and bit me hard enough to put a hole in my arm! I ended up getting rabies shots because of the incident. I LOVE animals so this really didn't put a damper on my trip, but just be ready for aggressive behavior. This is a very touristy area, so keep that in mind as well when your planning your trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank yogajesse
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

(Date of stay: 13 FEB - 16 FEB, Standard Room)

PROS: Lovely location right near the Monkey Forest. This hotel has 2 gorgeous pools and after a day of walking around Ubud it is so lovely to relax around the pools. I had my best massage in Bali at their spa! So relaxing that I fell asleep. The staff are very friendly and always helpful. The room was air-conditioned and I slept very well here. I thought the size of the room was fine and there was plenty of room to unpack. I liked the open style bathroom. The monkeys paid us a visit in the mornings at breakfast which was entertaining. The staff move the monkeys on whenever they come near enough to where people are eating. Much older crowd here and young families and couples. It's lovely and quiet with a great atmosphere.

CONS: The linen and pillows in my room were looking quite tired. The linen had stains on it and the pillows were lumpy. However I am a bit fussy with my pillows so most people won't even notice this I hope! I was initially excited about the bathtub, but then noticed it was quite stained and needed a good clean so I just went for a swim instead! Yes, the shower water goes everywhere, but just put the bathmat on the floor and you'll be fine. I thought that breakfast was less than average. I was not impressed at all. I would highly recommend spending a little more money going elsewhere to eat. The restaurant was dreary too but I didn't eat there, so I can't comment on the food. Please bring bug spray as you will definitely need it because the mosquitoes are quite bad here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kat_a6
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had a lovely stay here.
The room was so big, and whilst fairly simple in decor, I LOVED the huge windows over looking the rice field behind the hotel and the huge balcony. I could have sat out there for hours, listening to the monkeys & enjoying the view.
The bathroom was clean, and as others have said, there aren't shower curtains but it's not a big deal. Stick a bath matt down & stand under the water so it doesn't spray everywhere. Easy.
It's in a great location, just a short stroll from the Monkey Forest, and about a 15 minute walk to the top end of the main strip. Lots of restaurants can be found along the way too.
The breakfast was OK, and we didn't have any issues with monkeys during out stay, but can understand that it would be possible to have some visitors in the mornings.
Overall, nice hotel, spacious, clean & comfy rooms, and two gorgeous pools!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank piratekylie
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

stayed from 21st-25th december 2012, standard room, double bed with balcony near the lobby. selected this hotel bcoz of the "me time" package offered by flight centre australia, which included ur own complimentary check-in time (which i had to remind them was part of the deal because we arrived very early in the morning and our rooms werent ready), mini-gift (non-existent), free birthday cake (they knew i was having my birthday there but nothing showed up either), daily breakfast (same thing every day + hungry monkeys from the sanctuary if you have it really early, discount from the restaurants (which is overly prices and better to eat out elsewhere), 1 hour free complimentary massage which partner said was one thing that was good, no free drinks upon arrival since our rooms werent ready. had to put the pressure on coz we were knacked and not waiting in the un-air conditioned lobby. also had the stay 4 nights pay 3 offer. better they not offered such complimentary services if they knew they had it in the first place.

from the outside it still does retain its balinese architecture and it is tucked away quietly despite the closeness of the main road. it is a 15-20 minute hike up to the centre of ubud and can i stress "hike" where there are plenty of places to shop from and eat. don't be surprised being offered massage deals. they do have 2 swimming pools but i question the last time they've been cleaned.

annoyed that there's only wifi in public places only, ie swimming pool, restaurants, lobby. the rooms are quite large as compared to the ones in 3 and half star hotels in ubud. basic furniture. big bathroom too. but main shower drain not big enough to even take 5 minute water use. you feel like being flooded in it. never drink the tap water. they always supply 2 complimentary water bottles every day. rooms are made up every day and beds comfy enough to sleep in.

do bring your strongest insect repellents if you consider having dinner at the restaurant. service takes forever and you are often disappointed with the results, small portioned just like the rest of ubud. forget about super-sizing. but the staff are very friendly, welcoming, helpful when asked. you do feel quite relaxed when you're here.

Room Tip: room with a balcony!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank NURMALA
Gosford, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights while in Bali during Jan 2012.
The actual hotel and rooms are gorgeous but the counter staff are rude and less than helpful. The maintenance/cleaning staff were pleasant which is why when we left and had a huge amount of fresh fruit,bottles of wine and other goodies we gave it all to the maintenance staff.

When we first arrived they had completely lost our booking and when they finally found it they said there were others in that room and that we would have to wait 3 hours while they checked out and the room was cleaned!

As I said before I can't fault the rooms and actual hotel buildings as they were perfect but their hygiene practices left a lot to be desired! For example on our first day we went to the dinning room for breakfast when I noticed cockroaches hiding in the cane baskets which held the bread for toast, being utterly repulsed we ended up eating out every morning so our included breakfast was wasted.

It is located only 2 minutes from the monkey forest and there is an excellent cafe located up the road called "boom boom cafe".

Room Tip: Make sure you feed the monkeys, the staff hate when you do it!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sita J
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel 3 times over the last 7 months (June, September and December this year). The fact that I went back to the hotel again means it is not too bad a hotel. OK, so it's not 5-star, but you get what you paid for.

The room and bed linen are clean, although the furniture looks a bit tired. There is a fairly big LCD TV, with some cable TV like BBC, CNN and HBO. The toilet is huge, and as in many hotels in Bali, the shower area does not have doors or shower curtains, so there is some water splatter when you shower. But it's not a big deal.

Breakfast provided is OK - there is an egg station, and the usual sausages or bacon, and bread and croissant. There are also salad and fruits. It is served buffet style, but on certain week-days, i noticed it was on order and served to you at your table. Yes, the monkeys may pay the restaurant a visit during breakfast time, so if you are not comfortable with monkeys, try to seat somewhere in the middle of the restaurant (away from the side although you get better view).

The hotel has 2 pools, which is seldom crowded. Wifi is available only in the hotel lobby, which is a disadvantage if you plan on using the internet in the room.
Walking up north from the hotel will bring you to the shops, spas, mini-marts and restaurants along Jalan Hanoman or Monkey Forest Road. It takes about 20 minuts to walk to the main road near the central market. But you can get "taxi" transport from the street, and a ride up to Campuhan area (Neka museum, Mosaic or Naughty Nuri restaurants) should cost Rp30,000 (about US$5) one way.

Walk down south and within 5 minutes, you will reach the Monkey Forest Park. Another 5 to 10 minutes walk will bring you to more restaurants, Yoga Barn, the 2-storey Coco supertmart or the Perama bus station.

All in, it is a fairly comfortable hotel - the wifi (at the lobby) works, aircon works, hot water is OK, pool is fairly large, and is walking distance to many shops, restaurants, spas and mini-marts.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends