“Great Location, Reasonable Price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Champlung Sari Hotel

Champlung Sari Hotel
Ranked #89 of 192 Hotels in Ubud
Sydney, Australia
“Great Location, Reasonable Price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

There are better places to stay but this was convenient for its location and really it was better than expected. It is a large hotel, breakfast was ok (could be better) the pools were nice although there weren't enough sun lounges. I took the advice of some reviews on tripadvisor and asked for a room in the old part but it was so horrible we quickly asked to move and were very lucky we could as it was pretty full. The newer room was so much better...the old one felt claustrophobic and there were a few flaws in the amenities and the cleanliness. Front desk staff are busy but still manage to be friendly and helpful. So why choose here? It's close to all the shopping and the monkeys are entertaining so long as they don't target YOU!

Room Tip: I disagree about the old rooms unless I just struck a bad one...definitely prefer the new ones with...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank karinadivina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

We loved staying in this hotel- beautiful grounds with flowers and forestry around. Pool also nice. But what absolutely made the stay were how close the hotel is to the monkey forest. The monkeys are very cheeky and steal some of your breakfast. We were so entertained by them. The staff are very nice and helpful. Of course the hotel is not a luxury stay- but for the price you pay you get what you paid for. It was a plus to have a big balcony for the superior room. Very tranquil... we will be back again!!!!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I loved it here. We started our Bali experience. the rustic stone dwellings are beautiful. such a peaceful, ancient feel about it. Would be a lovely retreat space. The staff were overwhelmingly helpful in that slow mindful balinese way. Nothing to much trouble. The monkeys were ace. such a laugh to have them steeling food the guests tables. I felt like i had stepped into another world while being here. Yes the toasters slow but even that i took on as a learning experience in this new world i found myself in. I need to slow my life down and be more present. little lessons every where here. i loved every minute.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I had organised with the hotel to have a car pick us up when we arrived which was eta 12.30 am. The hotel had assured me there would be a driver with a sign waiting for us at the cost of $US37. The flight was an hour late. No driver, and at that time of night it was a bit scary as ours was the only flight at the time. A taxi driver rang Champlung Sari who said they were sorry but there was no driver coming, I think because the flight was late. The taxi driver took us for Rup400,000. It was about a 40 min journey so not too bad. Very disappointed in the hotel service though. But just glad to get there at that time of night. We had one of the 'new' de luxe rooms, but the 'old' de luxe rooms looked more charming in the older style buildings. Ok, but the bathroom electrical fitting was coming away from the wall socket, and the whole room looked as though it needed some TLC. I had read heaps of reviews from other travellers before I booked here and agree that yes, the pool towels were pathetic (because of this I brought our own beach towels, with the intention of leaving them there.) But, the location is perfect, the grounds are lovely, the staff are agreeable, the breakfast just ok. So many places advertise 'near the Monkey Forest' when in fact they are so far away you have to get a taxi anywhere. (Happened to my son, and believe me, getting from A to B in Bali is time consuming because of the traffic). This place is right on the main road and within walking distance to the Ubud Market. The hotel also arranged a driver for our first outing, (Sukawati Craft Market , rice fields, Mt Batur, coffee tasting) and this turned out to be the best thing, he was just great, gave us facts on the Balinese way of life and even took us to meet his parents, wife and children on the second day we hired him. I know people will think he was just doing that to get a good tip, but the cost of a car for the day is so small compared to western countries, what we paid him plus a tip was so little to us, but meant so much to him. He has a stand near the Monkey Forest Park and his name is I Ketut Wiranata.
We stayed three nights here before going to the Puri Santrian in Sanur. If you are thinking of going to Ubud I would recommend for the perfect location.

Room Tip: We had room 410, overlooking greenery, not the most exciting view, but quiet, no road noise.
1 Thank Suzanne04
Whitehaven Cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Me and my partner stayed here for three nights/four days in September 2012.

Our check in time was meant to be 2pm but it was around 2:45 (but we didnt mind, we relaxed around the pool).

Once we got to our room, we had been upgraded from a standard to a super delux or something (the best one anyway) With decorations in our room (honeymooners)

The rooms were very big, the bath room was very big too. Nice and airey.
The bathroom was a little run down and old but we didnt mind cause everything else was so fantastic. We could see the monkeys from our bathroom, it was great. (even when i was in the shower)

They have two pools. Both of which get sun most of the day (which out of my 5 hotels in Bali i stayed in, only this one got sun most of the day)

It was so nice to relax in and have a swim.

The staff were always kind and willing to help, which was very nice.

The breakfast menu isn't too great but i just had fruit.

This hotel is located right next to the monkey forest, in the heart of ubud. Perfect location.

The monkeys were fantastic. Its so good to see them wild! They were everywhere. On my balcony, on my door step and at breakfast. The staff have sticks which they tap on the ground to scare them away, so they usually dont bother you. Unless you unlucky and the staff aren't watching!

We didn't eat anything in the hotel except breakfast. Me and my partner never usually eat in the hotel anyway, were pretty outgoing, so i cant comment on the food in the hotel.

So overall i would most definitely stay here again and it was such an amazing stay. Thank you!

Kalgoorlie, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We booked into the Champlung Sari for two nights. The positives were:

1. Located on Monkey Forrest Road, lots of nearby shops and restaurants
2. The monkeys are very entertaining. We had them come onto our balcony and we watched them steal breakfast off people's tables which was funny. We were wary of them though, and carried a water pistol as they can get defensive and have rabies!

Unfortunately the negatives outweighed the positives:

1. Check in time was 2pm. At 2:45pm our room still wasn't ready and I had to enquire twice about it as the reception staff just left me standing there and did not inform me what was going on.

2. The rooms are okay, but the bathroom was tired and old, and there was no plug for the bath. The towels were old and not like how hotel towels should be (fluffy and nice, you know?)

3. On the second day we were laying on the bed watching TV and a staff member barged into our room without knocking, and asked why we hadn't left yet (we informed him that our check out was the NEXT day). Although he apologised, I was a bit mortified because what if we had have been naked or something, you know?

4. We left the Do Not Disturb sign on the door while we went out as we had our valuables and money not packed away, when we got back the room had been cleaned despite the do not disturb sign being up (thankfully everything seemed to be accounted for!)

5. The buffet breakfast was not at all nice and the service was terrible. On the first day, I had to ask a waitress for a plate and glass, and if any more bacon was coming as it was empty. The waitresses all seemed too busy so I couldn't get a coffee (there was no self serve tea and coffee). I couldn't get any toast as there were about 8 people lined up to use the only toaster which was really slow. The juice was packet juice, not fresh like all the other places we stayed.

6. The drinks and mini bar items were really expensive compared to all the other places we stayed

7. Being so close to the road, we had to endure the constant sounds of traffic, horns, a guy blowing a whistle, and dogs barking (this went on till the early hours).

On the second day, I had to ask a waitress to clear a table, I didn't get a coffee again, and the 'bacon' was just pieces of soggy processed ham. We ended up going across the road for a real breakfast both mornings at a place called Kopi Coffee House, which was amazing.

Overall quite disapointed.

Room Tip: away from the road!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Ubud hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here with friends for 4 days in August, we enjoyed our time here,the hotel is in a great location with many great restaurants close by. The hotel was good with 2 pools and plenty of room. The breakfast was fine. If there was only 1 complaint it would be the showers, they could do with a shower screen to save water going all over the floor. The staff were good, always willing to help.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends