“Bad start but would recommend for location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Champlung Sari Hotel

Champlung Sari Hotel
Ranked #89 of 192 Hotels in Ubud
New Zealand
“Bad start but would recommend for location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I had organised with the hotel to have a car pick us up when we arrived which was eta 12.30 am. The hotel had assured me there would be a driver with a sign waiting for us at the cost of $US37. The flight was an hour late. No driver, and at that time of night it was a bit scary as ours was the only flight at the time. A taxi driver rang Champlung Sari who said they were sorry but there was no driver coming, I think because the flight was late. The taxi driver took us for Rup400,000. It was about a 40 min journey so not too bad. Very disappointed in the hotel service though. But just glad to get there at that time of night. We had one of the 'new' de luxe rooms, but the 'old' de luxe rooms looked more charming in the older style buildings. Ok, but the bathroom electrical fitting was coming away from the wall socket, and the whole room looked as though it needed some TLC. I had read heaps of reviews from other travellers before I booked here and agree that yes, the pool towels were pathetic (because of this I brought our own beach towels, with the intention of leaving them there.) But, the location is perfect, the grounds are lovely, the staff are agreeable, the breakfast just ok. So many places advertise 'near the Monkey Forest' when in fact they are so far away you have to get a taxi anywhere. (Happened to my son, and believe me, getting from A to B in Bali is time consuming because of the traffic). This place is right on the main road and within walking distance to the Ubud Market. The hotel also arranged a driver for our first outing, (Sukawati Craft Market , rice fields, Mt Batur, coffee tasting) and this turned out to be the best thing, he was just great, gave us facts on the Balinese way of life and even took us to meet his parents, wife and children on the second day we hired him. I know people will think he was just doing that to get a good tip, but the cost of a car for the day is so small compared to western countries, what we paid him plus a tip was so little to us, but meant so much to him. He has a stand near the Monkey Forest Park and his name is I Ketut Wiranata.
We stayed three nights here before going to the Puri Santrian in Sanur. If you are thinking of going to Ubud I would recommend for the perfect location.

Room Tip: We had room 410, overlooking greenery, not the most exciting view, but quiet, no road noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suzanne04

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Whitehaven Cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Me and my partner stayed here for three nights/four days in September 2012.

Our check in time was meant to be 2pm but it was around 2:45 (but we didnt mind, we relaxed around the pool).

Once we got to our room, we had been upgraded from a standard to a super delux or something (the best one anyway) With decorations in our room (honeymooners)

The rooms were very big, the bath room was very big too. Nice and airey.
The bathroom was a little run down and old but we didnt mind cause everything else was so fantastic. We could see the monkeys from our bathroom, it was great. (even when i was in the shower)

They have two pools. Both of which get sun most of the day (which out of my 5 hotels in Bali i stayed in, only this one got sun most of the day)

It was so nice to relax in and have a swim.

The staff were always kind and willing to help, which was very nice.

The breakfast menu isn't too great but i just had fruit.

This hotel is located right next to the monkey forest, in the heart of ubud. Perfect location.

The monkeys were fantastic. Its so good to see them wild! They were everywhere. On my balcony, on my door step and at breakfast. The staff have sticks which they tap on the ground to scare them away, so they usually dont bother you. Unless you unlucky and the staff aren't watching!

We didn't eat anything in the hotel except breakfast. Me and my partner never usually eat in the hotel anyway, were pretty outgoing, so i cant comment on the food in the hotel.

So overall i would most definitely stay here again and it was such an amazing stay. Thank you!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kalgoorlie, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We booked into the Champlung Sari for two nights. The positives were:

1. Located on Monkey Forrest Road, lots of nearby shops and restaurants
2. The monkeys are very entertaining. We had them come onto our balcony and we watched them steal breakfast off people's tables which was funny. We were wary of them though, and carried a water pistol as they can get defensive and have rabies!

Unfortunately the negatives outweighed the positives:

1. Check in time was 2pm. At 2:45pm our room still wasn't ready and I had to enquire twice about it as the reception staff just left me standing there and did not inform me what was going on.

2. The rooms are okay, but the bathroom was tired and old, and there was no plug for the bath. The towels were old and not like how hotel towels should be (fluffy and nice, you know?)

3. On the second day we were laying on the bed watching TV and a staff member barged into our room without knocking, and asked why we hadn't left yet (we informed him that our check out was the NEXT day). Although he apologised, I was a bit mortified because what if we had have been naked or something, you know?

4. We left the Do Not Disturb sign on the door while we went out as we had our valuables and money not packed away, when we got back the room had been cleaned despite the do not disturb sign being up (thankfully everything seemed to be accounted for!)

5. The buffet breakfast was not at all nice and the service was terrible. On the first day, I had to ask a waitress for a plate and glass, and if any more bacon was coming as it was empty. The waitresses all seemed too busy so I couldn't get a coffee (there was no self serve tea and coffee). I couldn't get any toast as there were about 8 people lined up to use the only toaster which was really slow. The juice was packet juice, not fresh like all the other places we stayed.

6. The drinks and mini bar items were really expensive compared to all the other places we stayed

7. Being so close to the road, we had to endure the constant sounds of traffic, horns, a guy blowing a whistle, and dogs barking (this went on till the early hours).

On the second day, I had to ask a waitress to clear a table, I didn't get a coffee again, and the 'bacon' was just pieces of soggy processed ham. We ended up going across the road for a real breakfast both mornings at a place called Kopi Coffee House, which was amazing.

Overall quite disapointed.

Room Tip: away from the road!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Ubud hotels

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here with friends for 4 days in August, we enjoyed our time here,the hotel is in a great location with many great restaurants close by. The hotel was good with 2 pools and plenty of room. The breakfast was fine. If there was only 1 complaint it would be the showers, they could do with a shower screen to save water going all over the floor. The staff were good, always willing to help.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Missmuffy069
Wiltshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

We started the Bali holiday here and I'd say the benefits just about outweigh the disadvantages.

I don't know why but nearly every hotel we stay at we end up changing rooms and it happened here too. We were pretty exhausted after the flight from the UK and having been shown to our room the air conditioning was not working. Called room service and they said they'd fixed it, but they hadn't. Later that night the room was still hot. I decided we wouldn't unpack and went to reception and they agreed there was 'a problem'. I requested to changed rooms and at first they told me they were fully booked. In a situation like this the worst thing to do is show how angry you feel. I simply said in a very calm voice "In that case I am very disappointed!" This approach worked, because within a few minutes they'd found another room, and it had a functioning aircon. It was better than the first room. All the same, I could have done without the stress!

I'd rate this hotel as a 3 star. In the same manner as other reviews it's easy to nitpick and find small faults, but overall the stay was very pleasant and the location is perfect for exploring. Staff were pleasant and helpful after our initial hiccup, and the monkeys at breakfast are amusing.

I wouldn't want to spend the entire holiday here, I'd find it too limiting, but for 3 or 4 days it was a great way for us to start our holiday in the cultural centre of Bali, before moving on.

As an aside, on any 2 week holiday I think it's a big risk staying at just one hotel. Booking a hotel and paying for the holiday is one of the few things any of us ever do without first experiencing it. What if you don't like it?, then you're stuck. At least if you have another place to go to you don't have to put up with it for the duration of the holiday!.. Always have another place to go to, that's our method of operation.

Room Tip: Go for an upper floor room since it has a private balcony. A ground floor room has a terrace than a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

I could post photos of a few spots of tired grouting in the bathroom but this hotel has so much going for it, it would be a shame to focus on a few small niggles. The central Ubud location is perfect for exploring nearby shopping, restaurants, spa treatments, markets and the Monkey Forest (just across the road) on foot. Staff are friendly and our room was lovely. The hotel has two stunning swimming pools that guests made good use of during our stay. The buffet breakfast (included in our package) was limited for choices, but we happily filled up on fresh, tropical fruit, yogurt, toast and coissants. Small troupes of monkeys roam the gardens first thing in the morning and at dusk, delighting guests. The only time they came near the dining room was when naughty tourists offered food, but staff were quick to send them (the monkeys, not the tourists) on their way. I enjoyed a blissful 3 hour spa treatment at the hotel that was also great value for money. Free WiFi was available in the two dining rooms and lobby. There is a small supermarket around the corner, and decent coffee directly across the road (ignore the taxi drivers enthusiastically waving at you as you walk down the driveway). We stayed 3 nights but wished we had based our whole trip from this hotel.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues talk to staff when you make a reservation as many rooms require you to n...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I just stayed at the Champlung Sari for 2 nights to start our holiday off in Bali. The hotel was recommended to us by a friend who had stayed there. We were very satisfied with the recommendation. The location is fabulous, very central in Ubud with an easy walk to all the main sites.

The particular draw of this hotel is its location right next to the Monkey Forest which means you have furry primate friends visit you here, particularly during their included breakfast. To us this was part of the fun. The monkey's in Ubud are not "naughty" like the ones in Uluwatu and only steal breakfast occasionally.who could blame them? It's right there. The staff is super on top of being sure they don't bother the guests, armed with slingshots of fruit to draw them away and long sticks if need be (although I didn't see them have to use these). We thought it was quite a great to dine with the monkeys!

The rooms are basic. Clean and air conditioned but certainly not 5 star. If you want 5 star pay up and stay at the Four Seasons! If you want a great value, good location, and comfortable stay then this is your spot. As some reviewers the bathrooms were a bit tired and the towels were not brand new but everything was clean and we were perfectly happy with our stay. The pool is beautiful and the open restaurants and lobby were great.

We did have the power shut off twice which the staff quickly resolved. I give the hotel a solid 3-4 stars, the staff 4-5 stars, and the location and value a solid 5 stars.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple